Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ted Johnson vs. Bill Belichick « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

: February 03, 2007, 10:47:00 PM

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.

and what was it? i agreed with the rest of what u said
It wasn't about Sanders, it was the fact that Sanders new his job was safe, so he wouldn't have played if he thought he wasn't ready. But Barry new and acknowledged that other guys were playing and possibly putting themselves in serious jeopardy because they were affraid to lose their jobs. They didn't have the "star" status to be able to stand up to the coach and say, "no I'm sitting out."

#1 : February 03, 2007, 10:04:19 AM

Did you guys see or hear about this?  Ted Johnson, former NE linebacker, is accusing his former coach of "playing God with his health", and rushing him back from a concussion(s) injury too quickly, causing him to suffer from memory loss (forgetting peoples names, missing appointments), and depression.  Goodell is going to investigate the matter.

Steve Young has said Ted is a friend of his, and is a straight shooter, just to add to the fire.

Salisbury said, along with Coach Bill, that if Ted wasn't ready to play, he should have backed down and not played.  So it might be Coach Bill was pressing Ted into playing, when Ted was not quite ready to yet.  But Ted is a grown man, and should have said NO. 

Going to be interesting.

Big thing about this story is, that Ted is calling his coach out blatantly...wow...

sorry to mr Belicheck and the greatness that is Sean Salisbury but pro football is a different world than the one we live in and reputations are built off of situations like this. You dont play after the concussion when your coach wants you to, and you are soft or atleast not as tough as that guy who did come back a week after his concussion. If you do play after getting a concussion under the pressure of your coach, you are just doing what you are supposed to do.

This is an issue that directly effects a mans livelihood. And we are talking about a man's man, not a professional chef who breaks a nail and just cant go on. It is the nature of football to play when you are hurt, and this is a very cheap cop out by a man whos character has been questioned lately in Belicheck and someone who wouldnt know what it means to play hurt in a career water boy, Sean Salisbury

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 03, 2007, 01:37:24 AM

Did you guys see or hear about this?  Ted Johnson, former NE linebacker, is accusing his former coach of "playing God with his health", and rushing him back from a concussion(s) injury too quickly, causing him to suffer from memory loss (forgetting peoples names, missing appointments), and depression.  Goodell is going to investigate the matter.

Steve Young has said Ted is a friend of his, and is a straight shooter, just to add to the fire.

Salisbury said, along with Coach Bill, that if Ted wasn't ready to play, he should have backed down and not played.  So it might be Coach Bill was pressing Ted into playing, when Ted was not quite ready to yet.  But Ted is a grown man, and should have said NO. 

Going to be interesting.

Big thing about this story is, that Ted is calling his coach out blatantly...wow...

#3 : February 03, 2007, 01:42:55 AM

Belichick has tunnel vision on victories, otherwise the man goes insane...we all ready knew this, burnout factor has began IMO, this is just a case of the extreme.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 03, 2007, 01:44:29 AM

Ted must have memory issues because after Seau got hurt he was trying to re-join the Pats to play according the the Boston media.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 03, 2007, 01:47:33 AM

Ted must have memory issues because after Seau got hurt he was trying to re-join the Pats to play according the the Boston media.
So with that said, do you think Ted is just mad that he wasn't allowed back?  Is trying to collect his last big paycheck?

I think it might be a result of his (TJ) "dementia" (and I say that loosely), and maybe he is angry and trying to aim the blame at anybody that he can...

It is an interesting situation, that is for sure.  And bottom line is, I think both sides have some sprinkling of truth.  It might be an issue of who the public is going to crucify over this...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#6 : February 03, 2007, 02:11:39 AM

Did you hear about a coach here ar USF that recently committed suicide?  They said it was very out of character.  The autopsy said he had brain damage from concussions--he played in the league.  He was 40 something & the Dr. said he had the brain of a 85 yr old with early onset of Alzheimers.  And the brain damage could be a cause of depression. Don't think it isn't hard to tell a coach (like Belichik) that you're hurt. JJ left here because Gruden wanted him on the field when he wasn't totally better & went on & reinjured himself.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : February 03, 2007, 05:31:41 AM

Going to be interesting.

Not always true Boid, Barry Sanders commented on this yesterday saying that. Barry knew who he was, and knew where he stood. If he didn't think he was ready, he wouldn't come back too soon. He knew his job was safe, knew the coach wasn't going to cut him, knew the coach wasn't going to bench him. But Barry did also say, that he knew there were guys on his own teams playing with serious injuries, and they weren't playing because they were tough guys...they were playing out of fear for losing their lively hood. Teddy Johnson had injuries that couldn't be disputed, like torn Tricepts, or Bicepts. He went through a few year stretch when he was always banged up. Who knows how much pressure was put on him by Bill to play. With a concussion, it's somewhat of an invisible injury. You either take the players word for it or you don't. Maybe Ted felt like his job wasn't safe.

Why didn't Corey Stringer ask for a water break?

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 03, 2007, 10:08:29 AM

belicheck's no more to blame than ted johnson himself

#9 : February 03, 2007, 10:14:02 AM

Not always true Boid, Barry Sanders commented on this yesterday saying that. Barry knew who he was, and knew where he stood. If he didn't think he was ready, he wouldn't come back too soon. He knew his job was safe, knew the coach wasn't going to cut him, knew the coach wasn't going to bench him. But Barry did also say, that he knew there were guys on his own teams playing with serious injuries, and they weren't playing because they were tough guys...they were playing out of fear for losing their lively hood. Teddy Johnson had injuries that couldn't be disputed, like torn Tricepts, or Bicepts. He went through a few year stretch when he was always banged up. Who knows how much pressure was put on him by Bill to play. With a concussion, it's somewhat of an invisible injury. You either take the players word for it or you don't. Maybe Ted felt like his job wasn't safe.

Why didn't Corey Stringer ask for a water break?

Barry Sanders is one in a million. The guy retired before he was 30 when he was 2 seasons from being the NFL's all time leading rusher. So he is not a good example in this situation.

Karen, you are weird. Quit hanging on the nuut sack of old Bucs who are gone. Jurevvicius left because....HE WASNT RESIGNED! I hate these conspiracies. They're for the ****ing birds. I know you just think Joe is so cute and you think its soo admirable the way he handled himself when he lost his son, but get a grip the NFL is a business like any other and Jurevicius wasnt retained. Was it a mistake? Maybe. Was Jurevicius being let go due to salary cap problems by the Dungy regime? Probably. Fact is this has happened to many a great players and many great coaches. Some even better than Gruden. So keep your speculation to yourself nobody else cares about your agenda against Gruden

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 03, 2007, 10:15:59 AM

Did you guys see or hear about this?  Ted Johnson, former NE linebacker, is accusing his former coach of "playing God with his health", and rushing him back from a concussion(s) injury too quickly, causing him to suffer from memory loss (forgetting peoples names, missing appointments), and depression.  Goodell is going to investigate the matter.

Salisbury said, along with Coach Bill, that if Ted wasn't ready to play, he should have backed down and not played.  So it might be Coach Bill was pressing Ted into playing, when Ted was not quite ready to yet.  But Ted is a grown man, and should have said NO.  

Going to be interesting.

sorry to mr Belicheck and the greatness that is Sean Salisbury but pro football is a different world than the one we live in and reputations are built off of situations like this. You dont play after the concussion when your coach wants you to, and you are soft or atleast not as tough as that guy who did come back a week after his concussion. If you do play after getting a concussion under the pressure of your coach, you are just doing what you are supposed to do.

This is an issue that directly effects a mans livelihood. And we are talking about a man's man, not a professional chef who breaks a nail and just cant go on. It is the nature of football to play when you are hurt, and this is a very cheap cop out by a man whos character has been questioned lately in Belicheck and someone who wouldnt know what it means to play hurt in a career water boy, Sean Salisbury
Good post.  I agree that the pressure generated internally by the player, and the pressure applied by Bill creates a situation that cannot be denied.  I mean, Bill does have a tendency of just replacing guys, and if backup linebacker "smith" comes in, and plays, and the Pats still win, I can see how TJ can feel threatened, maybe scared of losing out.  And who knows what Bill was thinking...maybe he would have cut TJ, citing numerous injuries and lack of durability (during team meetings, of course).  Who knows.  It is a tough world they live in.  It kind of relates to Conrad Doblers knees, and the NFL vs. Old School players nursing injuries...

belicheck's no more to blame than ted johnson himself
And therein lies the problem...

vipmark

Starter
#11 : February 03, 2007, 01:02:53 PM

Schlereth (while commenting on this story) said he was having about 100cc's of fluid drained from his knee when shanahan walked in and told the Doc to shoot him up because he needs to be at practice in the morning. Schlereth said that you are supposed to immobilize the knee for 36 to 48 hours after an injection, he practiced and played the next game then had to retire.  I'm not sure what to think of this kind of thing.....The bottom line is that it's up to the player, so I try not to think about it or anything else that takes away from my love of the game. At least (these days) most players are payed well.

#12 : February 03, 2007, 01:12:23 PM

I love how we can relate a sprained knee to a brain injury and make Gruden look EVIL...DAMN YOU GRUDEN, DUNGY NEVER WOULD'VE DONE....wait....Culpepper....Odom....OMG!

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 03, 2007, 01:55:18 PM

Karen this attack on Gruden is beyond old - how do you take every story and say oh wait Gruden did this and this to a certain player.  Joe made what 4-5 great plays here and he was a soild player but the guy is always hurt - he was hurt with the Giants, he was hurt with us and he has been hurt with the Browns.  You rag on Michael Clayton yet Michael has done just as much as Joe did yet you blame Gruden for Joe?  If you had ever played football there are times you are healthy to play but it is all in your mind.  Every player that gets hit the first time in their career is never 100% healthy so maybe Joe was healthy and he was just scared to get hurt again - did you ever think about that?

#14 : February 03, 2007, 01:58:10 PM

Karen this attack on Gruden is beyond old - how do you take every story and say oh wait Gruden did this and this to a certain player. Joe made what 4-5 great plays here and he was a soild player but the guy is always hurt - he was hurt with the Giants, he was hurt with us and he has been hurt with the Browns. You rag on Michael Clayton yet Michael has done just as much as Joe did yet you blame Gruden for Joe? If you had ever played football there are times you are healthy to play but it is all in your mind. Every player that gets hit the first time in their career is never 100% healthy so maybe Joe was healthy and he was just scared to get hurt again - did you ever think about that?
It is getting old, I agre with all of your comments basically.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ted Johnson vs. Bill Belichick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools