Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ted Johnson vs. Bill Belichick « previous next »
Page: 1 2

PewterReportHM

Starter
#15 : February 03, 2007, 03:12:44 PM

The Ted Johnson thing is just another example of how the league is...........the concussions were within 4 days of each other and happened in 2002, so this is not about coach burnout.

The second concussion was in practice.  Ted wanted to wear the red "no contact" jersey because he sustained a concussion earlier in a pre-season game against the Giants.  Belichick had him switch to the blue "contact" jersey because he wanted to see where Johnson was in his recovery................Johnson got the concussion and then quit the team in anger when he sat out again and Belichick made him inactive for the first game of the 2002 season.

Belichick and Johnson had a long talk in the coach's office and cleared the air.  Belichick apologized and said he made a mistake.  Johnson apologized for a few choice things he said to the coach.

That was that until this week.

Johnson's life has been in a huge downward spiral.  He and his wife were arrested at their house after the wife called 911 for domestic violence last July.  Rumors are she was addicted to some meds and he was trying to wrestle them away from her, but no one is certain what started the incident.  The report said he repeatedly banged her head into a bookcase and twisted her arm behind her back.

They were divorced last Fall.

He is suffering from depression and has been on different meds for that.  He has missed high profile events where he was supposed to appear.

He is a guy in trouble and emotional turmoil.

The NFL is brutal, but there is more to the story than just a coach pushing a player to play through a concussion.

HM

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#16 : February 03, 2007, 03:22:25 PM

Not always true Boid, Barry Sanders commented on this yesterday saying that. Barry knew who he was, and knew where he stood. If he didn't think he was ready, he wouldn't come back too soon. He knew his job was safe, knew the coach wasn't going to cut him, knew the coach wasn't going to bench him. But Barry did also say, that he knew there were guys on his own teams playing with serious injuries, and they weren't playing because they were tough guys...they were playing out of fear for losing their lively hood. Teddy Johnson had injuries that couldn't be disputed, like torn Tricepts, or Bicepts. He went through a few year stretch when he was always banged up. Who knows how much pressure was put on him by Bill to play. With a concussion, it's somewhat of an invisible injury. You either take the players word for it or you don't. Maybe Ted felt like his job wasn't safe.

Why didn't Corey Stringer ask for a water break?

Barry Sanders is one in a million. The guy retired before he was 30 when he was 2 seasons from being the NFL's all time leading rusher. So he is not a good example in this situation.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.

coolhandluke

Starter

#17 : February 03, 2007, 03:32:49 PM

LOL@ Karen and her hate for Gruden! Give it up girl. you are listening to much to IAN and DUEMIG 2 guys who
just dont get it either. They love people like you who believe everything they say.

Players need to listen to their own bodies. This world is too much we always want to blame someone else for our problems...Which bring me to lost luggage...

OUT
Cool

psymun

Starter
#18 : February 03, 2007, 03:45:20 PM

The way I see it... if Ted Johnson didn't feel up to hitting, he could very easily say no... and if they threatened to release him, he can easily go to the owner, or the NFLPA... but instead he waits until another player has commited suicide before he comes out with this? Come On!

#19 : February 03, 2007, 09:01:09 PM

RI you are stupid!!

#20 : February 03, 2007, 09:25:21 PM

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.

and what was it? i agreed with the rest of what u said

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#21 : February 03, 2007, 09:55:57 PM

Some of you guys are so ridiculous!! Don't you remember when  JJ & Alstott were hurt running into each other?  JJ's knee was messed up.  He was pushed to go out before it was fully healed & eventually did, & promptly hurt his back.  You have very short memories if you don't recall hearing that Gruden kinda cuts you off if you're hurt.  I thuoght the discussion was concussions.  You need ti get off your 1 track minds--disagreeing & **CENSORED**ing no matter what I say.

#22 : February 03, 2007, 10:00:37 PM

I saw JJ before the game two weeks later an it looked like he was running without pain.....but w/e he didn't play.

#23 : February 03, 2007, 10:36:09 PM

Some of you guys are so ridiculous!! Don't you remember when  JJ & Alstott were hurt running into each other?  JJ's knee was messed up.  He was pushed to go out before it was fully healed & eventually did, & promptly hurt his back.  You have very short memories if you don't recall hearing that Gruden kinda cuts you off if you're hurt.  I thuoght the discussion was concussions.  You need ti get off your 1 track minds--disagreeing & **CENSORED**ing no matter what I say.

Perhaps you should take your own advise then?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 04, 2007, 02:40:20 AM

The Ted Johnson thing is just another example of how the league is...........the concussions were within 4 days of each other and happened in 2002, so this is not about coach burnout.

The second concussion was in practice. Ted wanted to wear the red "no contact" jersey because he sustained a concussion earlier in a pre-season game against the Giants. Belichick had him switch to the blue "contact" jersey because he wanted to see where Johnson was in his recovery................Johnson got the concussion and then quit the team in anger when he sat out again and Belichick made him inactive for the first game of the 2002 season.

Belichick and Johnson had a long talk in the coach's office and cleared the air. Belichick apologized and said he made a mistake. Johnson apologized for a few choice things he said to the coach.

That was that until this week.

Johnson's life has been in a huge downward spiral. He and his wife were arrested at their house after the wife called 911 for domestic violence last July. Rumors are she was addicted to some meds and he was trying to wrestle them away from her, but no one is certain what started the incident. The report said he repeatedly banged her head into a bookcase and twisted her arm behind her back.

They were divorced last Fall.

He is suffering from depression and has been on different meds for that. He has missed high profile events where he was supposed to appear.

He is a guy in trouble and emotional turmoil.

The NFL is brutal, but there is more to the story than just a coach pushing a player to play through a concussion.

HM
Wow.

Like I said, there is more to the story, and this opens up a lot of "dilemmas" in the NFL.

I think the pressure to duplicate success lays on all shoulders, and it sometimes clouds rational thought.  Once again, I just find it odd that a team as "tight" as the Patriots would have this issue.  Calling out Bill, and with just cause, seems to bring Bill down a notch, in terms of how he is viewed as a deity of some sort.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ted Johnson vs. Bill Belichick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools