Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our QBs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: October 16, 2006, 12:15:34 AM

Simms has the arm to make any throw but slow with his decisions and his feet.
Gradkowski is just the oposite. He throws rainbows but is quick and decisive.

I really hope McCown is the right combination of the two, strong arm, mobile, and decisive. If he's not, we're still looking. Rattay is not even in the running.

We were very fortunate to beat the Bengals. Their defense was less than impressive and we still struggled. If we play like that next week, we are doomed.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 16, 2006, 12:23:15 AM

Simms has the arm to make any throw but slow with his decisions and his feet.
Gradkowski is just the oposite. He throws rainbows but is quick and decisive.

I really hope McCown is the right combination of the two, strong arm, mobile, and decisive. If he's not, we're still looking. Rattay is not even in the running.

We were very fortunate to beat the Bengals. Their defense was less than impressive and we still struggled. If we play like that next week, we are doomed.

Who really cares about next week?  Grads was in his 2nd start in his rookie season, Simms wasn't even active on gamedays at this stage.  His passing was a little off today but he still managed decent numbers and didn't lose the game for us.  Lets not forget he kept BOTH scoring drives alive with big third down scrambles, something that is critical in the WCO.

You might have your doubts but Gruden is very high on Grads, and I am pretty sure he thinks Grads is the future.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 16, 2006, 12:29:50 AM

I'm thinking about next year. Next week, we have no other options. Gradkowski will have more interceptions than TDs if he throws like he did today.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 16, 2006, 12:32:33 AM

I'm thinking about next year. Next week, we have no other options. Gradkowski will have more interceptions than TDs if he throws like he did today.

And if he throws like he did last week we will be just fine.  Whether you agree or not Gruden is rolling with Grads and he sees him as the longterm answer.  The kid has all sorts of high school and college records for his passing, so have a little faith he will get better.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#4 : October 16, 2006, 12:35:44 AM

That is why he has a 4:1 TD:INT ratio, right?

Most of our passes are NOT deep passes. He did not struggle with the short ones and that is how this offense moves the ball. Palmer, the #1 pick, Heisman trophy winner, franchise QB, etc. didn't look any better than Gradkowski did today. It looked like a bad day for Gradkowski too which is a good day for us because you can see his bad isn't all that bad. He didn't throw the game away with stupid passes. He managed well, made first downs with his feet, and made quick decisive decisions.

I really don't know what game you were watching or what you expected from him in his second career NFL start but you're a bit off here.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 16, 2006, 12:36:01 AM

Why are you so quick to dimiss this Gradkowski as just a temporary fill-in that will be replaced next year?

You realize he's a rookie, right? Not a lot of rookies have done what he has as a QB. He looks far better than Simms even though Simms is a 4 year vet.

You should see Gruden's face light up when he talks about Bruce, and he's a PERFECT fit for this offense. I don't want to go overboard because I was dead wrong about Simms but I sicerely believ Bruce will be a starter here for many year.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 16, 2006, 12:41:39 AM

That is why he has a 4:1 TD:INT ratio, right?

Most of our passes are NOT deep passes. He did not struggle with the short ones and that is how this offense moves the ball. Palmer, the #1 pick, Heisman trophy winner, franchise QB, etc. didn't look any better than Gradkowski did today. It looked like a bad day for Gradkowski too which is a good day for us because you can see his bad isn't all that bad. He didn't throw the game away with stupid passes. He managed well, made first downs with his feet, and made quick decisive decisions.

I really don't know what game you were watching or what you expected from him in his second career NFL start but you're a bit off here.

i concur.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#7 : October 16, 2006, 01:00:29 AM

Why do people like the deep passes so much. Lets face it, most of the starting QBs in the NFL don't have the prettiest deep throws. Accuracy and good decision making is what matters the most in the league. And from his short time in the league, Bruce looks like he has those. Do you see C-pep and his cannon arm starting or Boller and his "I can throw the ball through the endzone from the 50" beating McNair? Besides, it's not like Bruce has BJ's arm, Gradkowski can get the ball to the deep receiver. A 57% percent completion with 44 attemps and a 2:1 TD int ratio isn't that bad especially for a rookie. You can't expect him to be Peyton or Palmer in his second start but I guess some people already expect 300+ pass yards and a handful of TD from him already. And it's not like Bruce was the reason that the team wasn't more effective on O. Penalties by the O-line really killed a few drives.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 16, 2006, 01:30:59 AM

We have a deep threat in Galloway. He's not much use in that role if we don't have a QB who can make the throw. Gradkowski throws rainbow passes just like Shaun King. That allows time for defenders to be there when the ball comes down. The deep ball is not something we need to use a lot, but the threat needs to be there to keep defenses honest. Nothing personal against Gradkowski or Simms, but if McCown has a stronger arm than BG and is more mobile and decisive than CS, I want to know what he can do before he does it for some other team. I'm sure by now he knows the playbook as well as Simms. I know Gradkowski is a rookie and I also know his arm is not going to get any stronger. What I don't know is if McCown is our best option. Before he leaves, I would like to find out. We have had enough exBucs winning SBs at the QB position.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#9 : October 16, 2006, 01:52:57 AM

The problem with going to Luke is that from the limited playing time I've seen him in is that he hasn't shown anything other than having better mechanics that Simms. Also, just because Joey G is a deep threat doesn't mean he needs to run 50 yd patterns every time. The thing with 3 step drops is that its a timing route and as fast as he is, he's not going to get 50+ yds on it. Heck, even Simms  and his beautiful deep throws haven't gone for more than 40 yds but for a handful of times.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#10 : October 16, 2006, 02:24:05 AM

From what I have seen Bruce is has the important tools like  mobility, decision making, and accuracy. Eventually all of these mechanics will develop into greatness and that is all that matters.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 16, 2006, 06:52:43 AM

We have a deep threat in Galloway. He's not much use in that role if we don't have a QB who can make the throw. Gradkowski throws rainbow passes just like Shaun King. That allows time for defenders to be there when the ball comes down. The deep ball is not something we need to use a lot, but the threat needs to be there to keep defenses honest. Nothing personal against Gradkowski or Simms, but if McCown has a stronger arm than BG and is more mobile and decisive than CS, I want to know what he can do before he does it for some other team. I'm sure by now he knows the playbook as well as Simms. I know Gradkowski is a rookie and I also know his arm is not going to get any stronger. What I don't know is if McCown is our best option. Before he leaves, I would like to find out. We have had enough exBucs winning SBs at the QB position.

There is nothing wrong with Gradkowski's deep passes.  The rook has one bad game where he is not accurate (which he usually has been throughout his career as a QB) and even in his worst game in his second start he has a TD/Int ratio of 2:1 and people are complaining?

Luke is a lesser version of Grads and of the three QB's Luke has the weakest arm between Grads and Simms.  Luke has Grad's moxy but he does not have his decisivness.  I have never seen a QB like Grads who has been this decisive as a rookie in a Jon Gruden offense.  Brad Johnson and Brian Griese both WCO veterans did not look good early on in this offense.  Grads is something special and so far he has proven that.

I very strongly feel Gradkowski has the best long term ability in this offense.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 16, 2006, 07:03:56 AM

Totally agree.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

#13 : October 16, 2006, 08:34:04 AM

I know Gradkowski is a rookie and I also know his arm is not going to get any stronger.

Have you seen the noodle-armed Chad Pennington throw deep to Coles? I'd take Grads'arm strength any day over Chad.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 16, 2006, 09:56:57 AM

Gradkowski was not accurate or decisive yesterday. He looked like the rookie that he is and more like what I would have expected in his first start. From what I remember about McCown, the trajectory of his long passes is much, much flatter. That indicates to me that he has the stronger arm. Nobody in their right mind would predict the Bucs to reach the playoffs with a rookie QB and a schedule like we have. Under those circumstances, play the young guys who have some potential to be here next year. Give them some game experience and find out who can contribute.

If McCown is a better QB, I want to know that now, not when he's playing for someone else. Divide the playing time within the game so we can evaluate how they fare against the same team.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our QBs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools