Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monk snubbed again « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: February 03, 2007, 03:03:57 PM

http://nfl.com/news/story/9972724

MIAMI (Feb. 3, 2007) -- Michael Irvin was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday despite a troubled past, though voters denied entry to retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The former Dallas Cowboys receiver, who won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, got in on his third try.

Irvin pleaded no contest in 1996 to felony cocaine possession. Four years later, he was arrested on drug possession charges, but they were later dropped.

The 40 Hall voters were criticized by two of Irvin's former teammates, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, for previously bypassing the wideout, who retired in 1999.

They didn't ignore him this time.

Tagliabue was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Also voted in were running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, defensive back Roger Wehrli and two nominees of the veterans' committee -- tight end Charlie Sanders and guard Gene Hickerson.

coolhandluke

Starter

#1 : February 03, 2007, 03:33:55 PM

Ray Guy also should have gotten in.. He was the best!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 03, 2007, 09:42:27 PM

I don't think Monk ever deserves to be in the hall of fame.   He was not that special of a receiver if you ask me.    Jimmie Giles was a better tight end than Monk was a WR and he never gets any consideration.   

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#3 : February 03, 2007, 10:29:05 PM

Art Monk
Monk finished his 16 NFL seasons with 940 receptions for 12,721 yards and 68 touchdowns, along with 332 rushing yards. Monk's most noteworthy NFL accomplishment was his record for career receptions (940), broken by Jerry Rice during the final week of 1995, Monk's last season in the league. Despite being the first to eclipse 900 receptions, as well as retiring with the single season receptions record (106) and the most consecutive games with a catch (183), Art Monk has been passed over several times for entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

#4 : February 03, 2007, 10:31:17 PM

Monk was just an average wr that played a long time. Opponents didn't game plan for Monk..... this is my argument when comparing him to "the Playmaker". And after 14 years, enuff is enuff. If he was worthy, he'd be in already.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 03, 2007, 10:38:56 PM

He has more yards than Irvin, more receptions, and more touchdowns.

#6 : February 03, 2007, 10:51:12 PM

14 yrs and counting...... the voters must see it as i do.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 03, 2007, 11:02:27 PM

Or smoking the same stuff Irvin is....

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 04, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

14 yrs and counting...... the voters must see it as i do.

I see as you do as well.   Monk does not belong in the Hall for exactly the reasons you mentioned.   I hate stats.  They rarely tell the whole story.   Monks stats make him look to be better than he was.   He was only a slightly above average WR his entire career.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 04, 2007, 01:57:51 AM

He had class.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 04, 2007, 12:07:22 PM

Is he going to be the Susan Lucci of the NFL Hall of Fame?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 04, 2007, 03:05:04 PM

Why do guys stay on the ballot? Frankly shouldn't you get one vote and then that's it? It ain't like guys accomplishments in the NFL are gonna change so they are either in or not. This stuff where voters dink around with players because he's "not a first ballot" guy and then after some magical period of football writer imposed purgatory they get in is silly.  Just vote them in.

Ray Guy should be in because he is unanimously viewed as the best player at his position and while that position is a joke putting him in doesn't mean putting every other punter in.

Monk is a tougher call. He was a very good WR but in 15 years he broached 1000 yards only 5 times. He only made 3 pro bowls.  He averaged around 4 TD's per season, he was only among the top 10 in the league in receptions 4 times  and only led his team in receptions 4 times in 15 years. He was good but not HoF material to me.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 04, 2007, 03:09:25 PM

Why do guys stay on the ballot? Frankly shouldn't you get one vote and then that's it? It ain't like guys accomplishments in the NFL are gonna change so they are either in or not. This stuff where voters dink around with players because he's "not a first ballot" guy and then after some magical period of football writer imposed purgatory they get in is silly. Just vote them in.

Ray Guy should be in because he is unanimously viewed as the best player at his position and while that position is a joke putting him in doesn't mean putting every other punter in.

Monk is a tougher call. He was a very good WR but in 15 years he broached 1000 yards only 5 times. He only made 3 pro bowls. He averaged around 4 TD's per season, he was only among the top 10 in the league in receptions 4 times and only led his team in receptions 4 times in 15 years. He was good but not HoF material to me.
I think that is why he is not in the HOF.

BUT...

He had a great cumulative career.  Longevity has to count for something, right?

BUT...

Then again, Vinny Testaverde might get in with that logic.

Either way, Art had class.  FWIW.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 04, 2007, 04:11:46 PM

BUT...

Then again, Vinny Testaverde might get in with that logic.

Either way, Art had class.  FWIW.

Art was all class all the time. Frankly I thought that his character might get him more votes than his raw production would allow because he's just the sort of guy you'd think would get in as a "good guy".

BTW, the Simeon Rice preview was Derrick Thomas and he didn't make it so that might say Rice isn't gonna make it especially since I'm sure the KC media went to bat for him the way the TB won't for Rice.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#14 : February 04, 2007, 04:15:00 PM

Why do guys stay on the ballot? Frankly shouldn't you get one vote and then that's it? It ain't like guys accomplishments in the NFL are gonna change so they are either in or not.

I agree completely.  Its like after 20 yrs, they throw a guy in because there is no one better.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monk snubbed again « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools