Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you trade............ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

#15 : February 03, 2007, 06:19:05 PM

That would be retarded...
It's no surprise that Chrispy came up with the idea...

bucs1

Practice Squad
#16 : February 03, 2007, 06:20:35 PM

No way.  I would trade it for Peyton Manning though. ::)

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#17 : February 03, 2007, 06:24:06 PM

No way...not in a million years. Here are just a few out of the numerous reasons why we should not and would not do this:

1. We've learned our lesson. When you trade away picks, you mortgage your future. We had two major incidents where we did this in the past and it came back to bite us directly after our Super Bowl win. We traded two 1st round picks for Keyshawn Johnson and then we traded multiple other picks for Jon Gruden. Our team was built on a draft when we had multiple picks to play with in the first few rounds, just like we have now. They allow you to move up, move down, etc. We have learned our lesson; we can no longer trade 1st round picks for players because you are taking away your best chance at selecting a playmaker in the draft.

2. We have either the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. I don't think we should trade the opportunity to select the 3rd or 4th guy in this draft for anything. It is hard to think of a player that you would trade this pick away for. Possibly a super human QB...Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. Even then, you aren't getting those guys with a single draft pick and then you come into point number 1 all over again. We need this pick and we can't mortgage the future. There are also positions available who can help us at the top of the draft, namely LT, WR, QB. Since that is the case, we should certainly select a player here and let him grow as a Buccaneer. No trading a top 5 pick.

3. Not only is Freeny off limits, but this is almost a impossible situation. Unless Freeny is franchised by the Colts, he is going to be a free agent. You can't trade for a free agent, so no trade could happen unless he is franchised. If Freeny is franchised, he is tendered a one year deal by the Colts. Essentially, we would be trading either the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft for a player with a one year contract. Sure, you can say that we would be reworking his deal when we get him but say that talks fall through. Imagine that we can't sign him, or that he doesn't want to play for us. Now we are in some real trouble. Sure, he'll take the franchise deal because it isn't such bad money but he isn't happy here and wants out. We just lost our 3rd or 4th pick who we can have on the cheap for years (for a player of that caliber, probably) for one year of Dwight Freeny. That is a bad deal.

4. Speaking of bad deals, this trade would be great if you want to get yourself right back into cap hell. We're just climbing out of that hole so Gruden and Allen would not like to see us jump right back in it. A trade like this would show that we have learned no lessons here. A particular level of restraint has to be employed when you are scouring the FA market and also when you are making trades. No rookie is going to demand the type of contract that Dwight Freeny will. Freeny is a perennial all pro, pro bowl type player. Sure, he is ncie to have on your side but you have to realize that we can possibly get a perennial all pro Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson with that pick. We'll have him for his rookie contract on the cheap as compared to Freeny. Now we are in business, rebuilding the team through the draft and helping ourselves in the cap department.

5. As a fifth and final point, although you can make the argument that Freeny is a known commodity he had a down year this year. Sure, he will probably regain his form but that is an if. Not as great an if when talking about a rookie like Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson but a big enough if to make you save everything else and take your chances through the draft. When you weigh all the odds, cap situation, and what can happen if you make the deal for Freeny you are clearly better off taking your chances with the draft. You could win by hitting the jackpot with Joe Thomas or you could have a Joe Thomas who busts. Even if he busts, you lose less with him than you do if Freeny gets greedy or busts himself in Tampa. You are just better off going with the younger guys and building the team that way instead of making a huge trade like this one.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 03, 2007, 06:29:15 PM

Freeney is a proven elite talent compared to the potential elite talent their at #3/4.  Also a trade is not finalized until a long term contract is established.  I mean the #3/4 pick will command a huge signing bonus anyways just like Freeney would.  But only difference is that Freeney is proven that he is elite at the NFL level.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#19 : February 03, 2007, 06:34:26 PM

Yes because we already know Gruden doesn't know how to draft young good talent at this point.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 03, 2007, 06:35:58 PM

Yes because we already know Gruden doesn't know how to draft young good talent at this point.

I disagree.  I do not think Bruce Allen and the Bucs FO has done a poor job of drafting young talent.  Quite the opposite actually.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#21 : February 03, 2007, 06:36:18 PM

Freeney is a proven elite talent compared to the potential elite talent their at #3/4.  Also a trade is not finalized until a long term contract is established.  I mean the #3/4 pick will command a huge signing bonus anyways just like Freeney would.  But only difference is that Freeney is proven that he is elite at the NFL level.

It won't even be close. Freeny is going to command a ton more than any draft pick.

catch2355

Practice Squad

#22 : February 03, 2007, 06:38:48 PM

as of now hes drafted 2 one hit wonders but im not ready to give up on clayton or caddy just yet

#23 : February 03, 2007, 06:39:39 PM

How in the hell is Caddy a one hit wonder? 2,000 yards in 2 seasons.....not at all shabby considering we didn't have a 1k yard back for a few years, no?

#24 : February 03, 2007, 06:42:27 PM

How in the hell is Caddy a one hit wonder? 2,000 yards in 2 seasons.....not at all shabby considering we didn't have a 1k yard back for a few years, no?
Caddy, Clayton, Grads, and maybe Buenning...Gruden's draft record is poor.

catch2355

Practice Squad

#25 : February 03, 2007, 06:44:25 PM

ya but was anywhere near what he was in his rookie year? he got his 1000 yards this yr off of a bunch of 2 and 3 yard runs. i still like him and im not giving up on him at all yet. im just saying this yr he wasnt as good as his first

#26 : February 03, 2007, 06:46:02 PM

Look at the team he was on my man....11-5 or 4-12, figure in the oline lost 2 starters and had 2 rooks and 3 QBs, one who didn't threaten D's at all....I'm sorry but that's not on Caddy.

catch2355

Practice Squad

#27 : February 03, 2007, 06:47:00 PM

Look at the team he was on my man....11-5 or 4-12, figure in the oline lost 2 starters and had 2 rooks and 3 QBs, one who didn't threaten D's at all....I'm sorry but that's not on Caddy.

offensive line wasnt that bad its much better than ppl give it credit for......but ya i guess im gonna have to give it to u on this one

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 03, 2007, 06:48:06 PM

Caddy, Clayton, Grads, and maybe Buenning...Gruden's draft record is poor.

What are you saying? Caddy and Buenning don't belong in the same category as Clayton and Grads

#29 : February 03, 2007, 06:50:29 PM

How can Grads be a negative? How many 6th round QBs start 10 games and don't get killed (9 TDs, 9 INTs, 3 wins)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you trade............ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools