Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 04, 2007, 12:12:25 PM

Quinn is highly overrated.

If the guy has a poor combine he will drop like a rock ala Aaron Rodgers.

Quinn has the physical tools to be a first round QB but his mental game is in question (ala Chris Simms).

Quinn in my opinion is an above average QB that will do well in an offensive system in the NFL.  But if you ask me using a top five pick to draft an above average QB for an offensive system is not the best bang for the buck.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 04, 2007, 12:42:40 PM

If Quinn is there, I think I'd prefer the Bucs to trade down if both CJ and Thomas are gone. They could drop down to the later portion of the top 10 and still get a great player like Okoye and gain an extra 2nd round pick. However, if we can't find a trading partner and we have to pick someone there, I'd say it has to be either Adams or Quinn (or Russell if he is the QB left). If they do select one of the QBs that high, I won't be upset, but I'd rather have someone who can have an impact right away.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

mrwycka

Second String

#17 : February 04, 2007, 02:46:49 PM

Not for Tampa , but I think the Browns will jump at the chance to get him, He would be running the same type of Offense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 04, 2007, 02:51:40 PM

Not for Tampa , but I think the Browns will jump at the chance to get him, He would be running the same type of Offense.
Nope.  They have Adrian Peterson written all over their crappy helmets...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 04, 2007, 06:19:59 PM

He lost some of those "big" games.
So did Peyton Manning.

Didn't hurt Jay Cutler's draft status.  He he shows his skills at the combine/private workout and Gruden wants him above all others I wouldn't mind.  A franchise QB is the most important need for this team.  It's not like I'm expecting us to compete for a championship next year.

PoorRichard

Starter

#20 : February 04, 2007, 10:00:56 PM

Quinn = new coaching staff in '08.

Personally, I do not believe that either JeMarcus or Quinn are worth top 15 picks. Both are 5 years away from becoming solid, consistent pros. JeMarcus will be a turnover machine in the NFL, especially if he lands in Oakland or another place with a suspect coaching staff and Quinn looks shaky at times and really never performed well against top competition.

I do believe that Chris Simms gives this team a chance to win and is much more then a backup in this league. Simms upside is much greater then either JeMarcus or Quinn.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 04, 2007, 10:05:30 PM

Quinn is highly overrated.

If the guy has a poor combine he will drop like a rock ala Aaron Rodgers.

Quinn has the physical tools to be a first round QB but his mental game is in question (ala Chris Simms).

Quinn in my opinion is an above average QB that will do well in an offensive system in the NFL.  But if you ask me using a top five pick to draft an above average QB for an offensive system is not the best bang for the buck.

Why do you question his mental game? The only knock I've heard on him besides not pulling out some of the bigger games is that his accuracy seems to leave him from time to time.

PoorRichard

Starter

#22 : February 04, 2007, 10:20:11 PM

His accuracy leaves him everytime he plays a good team.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#23 : February 05, 2007, 08:07:03 AM

His accuracy leaves him everytime he plays a good team.

I don't pretend to be a college football officinado, but as I stated in my original post if you are going to throw out blanket statments like that I would like you to back them up with facts. I remember Quinn seeming very accurate two years ago against USC and Michigan, and against Ohio State in their bowl game. There weren't too many questions about his accuracy in late comebacks against Michigan State and Georgia Tech. Even against Michigan, USC, and LSU last year, those teams were able to score so easily against the Notre Dame defense that they knew Quinn was going to be passing all game.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 05, 2007, 09:40:10 AM

BucsPirate

The facts are Quinn's numbers look rather ordinary against decent competition and he was playing in a pro styled offense.  He is not as bad as Chris Simms was against superior competition but it leaves enough doubt to creep in. 

His accuracy even when you throw in the chump competition he faced it is still inferior to Russell's as well as YPA.  Brady Quinn apologists say Russell had more talent to work with at WR but in the same breath Anthony Fasano, Maurice Stovall, Rhema McKnight, and Jeff Smaradzija are not talented receivers?  Please.  Yes LSU's defense is more talented than Notre Dame but last time I checked Quinn plays offense.

Cutler for example barely had talent around him to win with and yet was able to rally his team and be competitive against superior competition. 

With all that said in the right system Quinn would be an above average QB.  For this football team finding a QB that can play above average consistently would be a good thing.  But at the same time is Quinn worth a top five selection?  If you go by prototype build, arm and mobility sure.  Production?  That is questionable.  Upside?  I do not see much unless you want to focus on his physical abilities.  Position of importance on the football field?  QB is the most important position on the field so I can see it.

I would not be upset if the Bucs select Quinn but at the same time you have to look at the oppurtunity cost involved in selecting Quinn.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools