Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every draft pick makes the 53 man roster « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : May 03, 2009, 10:08:57 PM

I could see Fulton being moved to the practice squad like Moore was last year, but everyone else has a good situation and would have to be pretty disappointing to miss the final roster.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#16 : May 03, 2009, 10:17:09 PM

I think all of them make it. Fulton has the athleticism to possibly play special teams, and we are very thin at CB and WR, so unless an undrafted FA impresses more than they do (which does not seem to be happening) Biggers and Stroughter appear on track to make the 53 as well.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 03, 2009, 10:23:54 PM

If Fulton, is not ready by the time camp starts. I see him being placed on the IR to give him more time to heel, while also ensuring another team can't pluck him off the practice squad.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 03, 2009, 10:31:15 PM

I think its extremely likely.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

calicojack

Starter
#19 : May 03, 2009, 10:40:41 PM

Two of the eight picks the Bucs had going into the draft didn't make it.

The Dream Team

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 03, 2009, 11:07:50 PM

are you guys serious?  The best draft we've ever had? The best in years?

I am in no way showing any disdain for the draft we had, but if all the picks make the team, I'd say it would be primarily due to us having many holes on this team and electing to go youth, as opposed to us finding gems in every round.

We have holes on the DLine.  Heck only starter I see is Gaines Adams.  We have Torrie Cox and Elbert mack currently as our dime and nickel backs.  Name me an OT aside from Penn and Trueblood currently on the roster.  As for WR, we have Stovall and Jackson rounding out the top 4 WRs with Bryant and Clayton.  We elected to not add veteran free agents...hence why you will see more draft picks make the team.

Honestly in previous years, if we only had 4 WRs, 2 starting caliber CBs, 2 OTs, etc going into the draft, don't you think they'd make the squad?

We seemed to have drafted strictly off of need in this draft if you ask me and I have no problem with that, but its funny that people were upset about that strategy heading into the draft.

Don't mean to be negative, but my head was going to explode after I read, "the best draft ever"..

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 03, 2009, 11:21:30 PM

I'll buy in here... I also agree that this is probably our best draft in a long time. In recent years there's always been that complete gamble/head scratcher. Badabing has a partial point in that it's skewed because we don't have much depth where we picked in the 7th round (WR and CB). That said we've had really bad picks in the last 5+ years... Colmer, Jenkins, Cooper, etc. All guys that were picked with premium or decent picks when they shouldn't have been . I can honestly say I don't see a bad pick this year. Fulton was the one guy I thought was a bad pick, but when I realized he's a uber athletic tackle, and that our "depth" consists of no real players I bought into that as well.

goonie4

Practice Squad

#22 : May 04, 2009, 12:24:38 AM

I am in no way showing any disdain for the draft we had, but if all the picks make the team, I'd say it would be primarily due to us having many holes on this team and electing to go youth, as opposed to us finding gems in every round.

We have holes on the DLine.  Heck only starter I see is Gaines Adams.  We have Torrie Cox and Elbert mack currently as our dime and nickel backs.  Name me an OT aside from Penn and Trueblood currently on the roster.  As for WR, we have Stovall and Jackson rounding out the top 4 WRs with Bryant and Clayton.  We elected to not add veteran free agents...hence why you will see more draft picks make the team.

Honestly in previous years, if we only had 4 WRs, 2 starting caliber CBs, 2 OTs, etc going into the draft, don't you think they'd make the squad?

We seemed to have drafted strictly off of need in this draft if you ask me and I have no problem with that, but its funny that people were upset about that strategy heading into the draft.

Don't mean to be negative, but my head was going to explode after I read, "the best draft ever"..

Agree, but  by not re-signing and signing older players the new regime will give them experience right away where gru and allen wouldnt, I think the potential of these picks is higher than that of previous drafts based on gaining experience!

zed

Pro Bowler

#23 : May 04, 2009, 12:46:45 AM

Yes, we're serious.  Because I've never been more excited about our 7th round picks than I have been this year.  They're exciting players who have potential.  I could definitely see Stroughter becoming a Wes Welker type, not fast but very quick, while Biggers has shown talent in rookie mini camp.  As for OT, haven't you heard of James Lee?  Gruden was very high on him, and he's probably the reason why Penn didn't hold out longer than he did, because he knew he would lose ground to Lee, who took Anthony Davis' spot on the roster, who by the way, happened to have started at left tackle for one year.

You may feel that there are lots of holes because of the veterans that were let go, but I happen to feel that this was addition by subtraction.  The younger prospects never were really given much of a chance to earn much playing time, because of the veterans, but now that a new system is in place both on offense and defense, there's no reason not to play the younger guys over the veterans especially if they are bigger, faster, and stronger than the ones they replaced.  I believe that there are holes but not as many as you may think there are.

LA BUC

Starter

#24 : May 04, 2009, 01:01:03 AM

There always seemed to be something wrong with our draft picks in years past.   Every WR we took seemed to be tall and really slow  or if we took a CB they had to be small and slow. LBs had to be short.   All the picks this year had real good times and good size.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 04, 2009, 01:06:49 AM

This draft was one of the best drafts in years. All of the draft picks have shown they are talented enough to make the roster.

Did I miss a game today?  Last I checked we had rookies/scrubs practice in shorts this weekend, but I might be wrong  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

FlexXVI

Second String
#26 : May 04, 2009, 04:16:11 AM

"Potential" doesn't win football games.

Back to the topic... I don't think any of our draft picks will be outright cut this year. The two in the most danger of being assigned to the practice squad are probably Fulton and Stroughter. Fulton is raw, but versatile... So, he has a chance.  One of the more interesting camp battles will be for the 3-4 roster spots behind Bryant and Clayton.  I could see Stroughter making it, but they always say Receiver is one of the hardest adjustments in the NFL.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 04, 2009, 07:43:12 AM

Yeah until the games are played, we wont know how this draft is.

I think many of you are overhyping it to tell you the truth.

We didn't have a second round pick.  Josh Freeman probably won't be thrown into the fire this year and I like the Dline picks, but doubt we see them start right away either.  I liked our draft, but we still don't know what we have in it yet.

Its like this draft class already played 3 years and we are labeling it the best we've had in years.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 04, 2009, 08:36:30 AM

Perhaps letting the full squad assemble for a practice or two would allow some credibility for such supposition ... maybe...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 04, 2009, 09:32:15 AM

If all of your draft picks make the team, it usually is a testament of the state of your team prior to the draft.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every draft pick makes the 53 man roster « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools