Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lesbian teen sues for right to wear tux to prom « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 09, 2009, 12:15:30 PM

I've seen this fight at my HS. Guys were not allowed to wear shorts - yes back in the day that was true kids- but girls could wear skirts not more than an inch above the knee - odd they feared people seeing male leg but female legs wouldn't distract. A bunch of guys showed up in skirts to "protest". They were kicked off campus and the "clothing is not expression" bit pretty much ended the whole thing.

Maybe in that case. But in other cases, the school relented.

http://www.opednews.com/populum/link.php?id=89145

Gay Boy Wins Right to Wear Dress to High School Prom

A South Florida boy wouldn't take no for an answer, calling WSVN's Help Me Howard hotline. Once TV anchor Patrick Fraser got involved, the school principal admitted they could not require students to conform to gender-based attire.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 09, 2009, 12:17:29 PM

In my parent's day, girls were forced to wear dresses to school every day. We've evolved since then and realize that it's a sexist thing to do. There should be no problem if a girl (lesbian or straight) wants to wear a nice dress pants suit to a prom.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 09, 2009, 12:17:37 PM

Absurd story. There are rules, follow them. This is a selfish individual trying to use her preference in the bedroom to her advantage to get what she wants. If the rules are to wear a dress, you wear a dress...end of story. So it's up to the courts now to decide if the school is preventing her "right" to self expression? Well what if a guy wants to wear a dress? What if a few students decide they'd like to express themselves by wearing skirts with tuxedo tops? You can't just get what you want because you are gay, and IMO that's all this is about. The GIRL sees a dress as a representation of sexual identity, that doesn't mean other people have to see it that way. If it were up to me I'd say fine you don't have to wear a dress because you aren't going, wear a tux at home in your bedroom. This isn't about gay/lesbian behavior, it's about an attention whore who needs to get her way.

great post...end of story.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 09, 2009, 12:19:18 PM

Absurd story. There are rules, follow them. This is a selfish individual trying to use her preference in the bedroom to her advantage to get what she wants. If the rules are to wear a dress, you wear a dress...end of story. So it's up to the courts now to decide if the school is preventing her "right" to self expression? Well what if a guy wants to wear a dress? What if a few students decide they'd like to express themselves by wearing skirts with tuxedo tops? You can't just get what you want because you are gay, and IMO that's all this is about. The GIRL sees a dress as a representation of sexual identity, that doesn't mean other people have to see it that way. If it were up to me I'd say fine you don't have to wear a dress because you aren't going, wear a tux at home in your bedroom. This isn't about gay/lesbian behavior, it's about an attention whore who needs to get her way.

great post...end of story.

LOL. Only problem is the girl won the right to avoid the dress. I guess you missed that.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 09, 2009, 12:22:23 PM

I missed nothing, I said it was a great post, did you miss THAT?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 09, 2009, 12:27:19 PM

Like I said, the girl won and it's the end of story. Just accept it young fella.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 09, 2009, 12:43:17 PM

There are rules, follow them.

So no matter what the rules are, you follow them? If that was the case, girls would have been forced to wear dresses to school when I was attending. Not that I would mind that. But it's a sexist rule. Civil disobedience is how some things get changed in this country. Bad rules are made to be broken. If she hadn't won the right to wear the dress, she should have showed up with the pant's suit any way. And nobody would be getting hurt by her doing that. This is obviously not a huge deal for 99% of the kids. But it was for her. Smart move by the school.

This is a selfish individual

Major assumption. I guess Rosa's preference to sit in the front of the bus was selfish too? Heck, she was going to upset all of those white folks! No, not on the same level or even close. But the selfish label is off base here.

trying to use her preference in the bedroom to her advantage to get what she wants.

So when girls didn't have to wear dresses to school any more, was it because of their preference in the bedroom? The girl's reason for wanting to wear pants is irrelevant.

If the rules are to wear a dress, you wear a dress...end of story.

Except it wasn't the end.

So it's up to the courts now to decide if the school is preventing her "right" to self expression?

If it's discrimination based on sex, then yes.

Well what if a guy wants to wear a dress?

Already addressed. And who cares? If they're wearing something dressy. that should be fine. How about the girls wearing slutty dresses? Is that better than a dress pant's suit?

What if a few students decide they'd like to express themselves by wearing skirts with tuxedo tops? You can't just get what you want because you are gay, and IMO that's all this is about.

Nah, other girls will follow her lead and in the future, some will forgo the dress.

The GIRL sees a dress as a representation of sexual identity, that doesn't mean other people have to see it that way.

Nope. It's irrelevant how other people see it and how she feels about the dress.

If it were up to me I'd say fine you don't have to wear a dress because you aren't going, wear a tux at home in your bedroom.

And you would have been overruled, IMO, if it had gotten to court.

This isn't about gay/lesbian behavior, it's about an attention whore who needs to get her way.

Lots of attention whores in this world. I don't see her as one of them.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 09, 2009, 12:57:39 PM

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/54701/the_history_of_pants_and_women_wearing_pg2.html?cat=46

It is hard to believe that as recently as a century ago it was a misdemeanor for a person to wear clothes not "of their sex." California did not make it legal for women to wear pants to the work place until 1995!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 09, 2009, 01:29:38 PM

this girl is probably doing it for attention or has low self esteem. She probably will grow out of this stage.

Huge assumptions here, if the girl wants to wear a tux let her. I don't understand the dramafest

I dont either. But this is a bigger story then a beauty queen.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 09, 2009, 01:31:22 PM

Like I said, the girl won and it's the end of story. Just accept it young fella.

just like the media needs to accept the california beauty queen is with the majority. Tell Perez Hilton and Keith Olbermann just to accept it.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 09, 2009, 02:05:09 PM

Shouldn't matter what they wear, as long as it's formal. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 09, 2009, 02:12:08 PM

I agree. But she's more than likely doing it just for attention

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 09, 2009, 02:15:51 PM

That's a huge assumption, that a teenage girl is doing something to get attention. That NEVER happens. High schoolers loath drama. They are all about conformity and reason.

[/sarcasm]

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 09, 2009, 02:23:55 PM

. Saying it is OK for a girl to crossdress

A girl in a tux isn't cross-dressing

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 09, 2009, 02:55:12 PM

That's a huge assumption, that a teenage girl is doing something to get attention. That NEVER happens. High schoolers loath drama. They are all about conformity and reason.

[/sarcasm]

hahahahaha. Yeah, just let her live and let live... Im sure she will get made fun of, and she can blame herself for it.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lesbian teen sues for right to wear tux to prom « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools