Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I saw Prince's 1984 Purple Rain tour...... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 05, 2007, 07:26:35 AM

I thought it was great too, although the sounds lacked at times.  Of course, that happened the entire game, so I guess that's on CBS. 

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

bucboy 64

Second String

#16 : February 05, 2007, 08:43:01 AM

Only Prince could get away with a medley consisting of Hendrix and the Foo Fighters. Purple Rain was fantastic.

#17 : February 05, 2007, 09:18:08 AM

say what you want about him but he puts on one helluva concert. Can't believe we didn't get to hear "Soft & Wet" or "Erotic City".

This halftime show was the best I've ever seen, IMO.  It's been quite some time since one's been even passable.  Prince put together 12 minutes of HUGE crowd-pleasing rock.  He blew the place up.  Great guitar playing, and the guy had such a BIG presence.

That huge presence allowed him to pull off this performance like others in the past haven't.

And to those always with the "Prince sucks" mantra...I just disagree.  I'm a musician, and not a particular fan of his, but he is a great performer and musician.  Quality stuff.

bucboy 64

Second String

#18 : February 05, 2007, 10:45:18 AM

And to those always with the "Prince sucks" mantra...I just disagree.  I'm a musician, and not a particular fan of his, but he is a great performer and musician.  Quality stuff.

Agreed, you might not like him but the man is a musical genuis.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 05, 2007, 10:50:01 AM

I wanted "Little Red Corvette." Could've been presented by Chevy.

ditto...that is my favorite prince song.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 05, 2007, 10:51:25 AM

was it just me or has prince not aged a single day since 1985?

amazing...

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 05, 2007, 10:55:30 AM

Prince is as close to Michael Jacksonish as anyone. He's more talented than Michael ever was and plays the guitar as clean as anyone. Dude is incredible.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 05, 2007, 11:00:22 AM

I wanted "Little Red Corvette." Could've been presented by Chevy.

ditto...that is my favorite prince song.

No way they'd do that song either given that he's not talking about a car in the song.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 05, 2007, 11:05:32 AM

there is inuendo in most of his songs, so I doubt that was the reason it wasn't done.

what do you think "let's get crazy" is about?

#24 : February 05, 2007, 11:16:10 AM

The marching band that played with Prince was none other than the mighty Florida A&M University Marching 100, the baddest band in the land!

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 05, 2007, 11:34:10 AM

The marching band that played with Prince was none other than the mighty Florida A&M University Marching 100, the baddest band in the land!

Absolutely!  I live 35 minutes away from Tallahassee and we go watch them practice from time to time.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 05, 2007, 11:39:13 AM

How many bands feature several covers for the SB performance? None that I can remember.
Brilliant. Foo Fighters? I wanted them to be the half time show. This was the next best thing.

Marching band? Brilliant?

My only problem was the sound mix. The keyboards on LGC were non-existent. CBS sucks.

Naive Joe didn't know LRC wasn't about a car. Thanks Dal. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. THAT little red
coervette.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 05, 2007, 11:43:37 AM

When Doves Cry?

He should have sung, "This is what it sounds like...

...When Rex Sucks..."

Pulling Guard

Second String

#28 : February 05, 2007, 01:18:21 PM

Prince is as close to Michael Jacksonish as anyone.

Minus the pedopheila.

I agree. That was the best SB halftime show I ever saw. I know that's setting the bar low, but he was outstanding.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 05, 2007, 01:53:45 PM

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/who-was-most-valuable-what-is-it-prince

Who Was Most Valuable? (Was It Prince?)

By Toni Monkovic

Who deserved to be named the most valuable performer in last night’s Super Bowl?

1) Peyton Manning. Did the voters get it right? He won the M.V.P. award, but that might have had more to do with his backstory.

2) Running backs Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes. Perhaps they should have been named co-M.V.P.’s. Or maybe it should have gone to an Indianapolis defender.

3) Prince, for a halftime show that the Times reviewer Kelefa Sanneh said “will surely go down as one of the most thrilling” ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/sports/football/05halftime.html?em&ex
=1170824400&en=92795bd9770351fe&ei=5087%0A

A Noncontroversial Prince, Just the Way the N.F.L. Likes Him

By KELEFA SANNEH
Published: February 5, 2007

A brief concert in the middle of the Super Bowl, on a temporary stage, designed to thrill a captive audience with nothing in common except a love of sport or spectacle, or both. How could that ever be a good idea? Then, just when it seemed time to give up on that quaint ritual known as the halftime show, along comes Prince.

His performance last night at Super Bowl XLI will surely go down as one of the most thrilling halftime shows ever; certainly the most unpredictable, and perhaps the best. “Dearly beloved,” he whispered, intoning the famous first words of “Let’s Go Crazy.”

What followed was a dizzying demonstration. He navigated a smooth course through a jumbled-up set built from bits and pieces, hits and covers. “Let’s Go Crazy” ended with an ad-libbed call-and-response, after which Prince was joined by a marching band.

Soon came “Proud Mary” by Creedence Clearwater Revival. That gave way to a piece of Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower,” which melted into “Best of You,” the 2005 hit by the Foo Fighters. He ended the medley by modifying a favorite line from the Foo Fighters’ song: “I’ve got another confession, my friend/I ain’t no fool.”

Somehow, it all made sense, or maybe it made something better than sense. The heavy rain made the smoke and lights seem mysterious, instead of merely ridiculous. And there was a sneaky thrill in watching Prince steal the field from guys three times his size, if only for a few moments.

At one Super Bowl gathering, at least, Prince’s extravagant guitar solos, seductive facial expressions and strutting stage manner made boozy viewers whoop and wonder in equal measure. Who knew a Super Bowl halftime show could be this delirious?

No doubt National Football League officials were pretty pleased, too. They know that the halftime show is still haunted by the specter of 2004, when Justin Timberlake enlivened an otherwise unmemorable show by baring Janet Jackson’s breast. Somehow, Timberlake’s role has been largely forgotten, but Jackson’s career has still not recovered. And compared with the controversial Jackson, Prince must seem like a pretty safe bet.

Would that last statement have made any sense at all 20 years ago? In 1987, Jackson was best known as Michael’s effervescent younger sister, and Prince was perhaps the most polarizing pop star in the country; the sexually frank lyrics of his “Darling Nikki” had helped spark a national debate about explicit lyrics.

Yesterday’s command performance was yet more proof that Prince has made that familiar journey from pariah to American treasure. He has a catalog of hits that everybody seems to love (even the players, who normally take little interest in the halftime show, were quoted praising Prince), and he sings and plays and moves as well as he ever did.

Best of all, he does not carry himself as a pop-star emeritus. Did you see his face during the first verse of “Purple Rain,” when he tossed his bandana into the crowd? He looked as if he were getting away with something.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I saw Prince's 1984 Purple Rain tour...... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools