Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Motivational Coaches of All Time « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#30 : May 11, 2009, 10:51:36 AM

Going to be funny watching the Bucs struggle to win 3 games this year with the same talent Gruden had.

Do you pay attention? Same talent?

The real question is:  How is watching a team you like lose 13 games in a season "funny"?

Really sad how people root for coaches instead of teams.

There are a few here that I called out last season.. and they aren't disappointing me at all.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 11, 2009, 10:52:58 AM

Agree with the lists or not, I have to say that the NFL Network Top 10 lists are always fun to watch.

I love that station.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 11, 2009, 10:53:55 AM

Who is Gruden motivating this football season?

I love that you keep bringing this point up as some evidence that nobody wants Gruden as their coach.

Do you have any proof suggesting that he wanted to coach somewhere this season, but no one is willing to hire him? �He's getting paid to sit on his arse. �You'll have a valid point if he doesn't interview anywhere after this season, but until then you got nothing.

You'd have to agree that him not coaching does more to support my position than yours.  

No, it doesn't.  He's getting paid to do nothing.  I can't imagine anybody would NOT want to take it easy for a year and spend time with family while not seeing a difference in the bank account.

How many jobs were available for him to get when he was fired?  If he's still sitting on his arse after next season because nobody has offered him a job because of "his QB management and evaluation problem," then you will have an excellent point.  Until then, you got nothing.

calicojack

Starter
#33 : May 11, 2009, 10:56:14 AM

All kidding aside, until he fixes his QB management and evaluation problem, he wont be coaching on Sundays anytime soon.

I think that is exactly the reason Gruden is spending time studying the spread.  I don't think there is anything wrong with his evaluation of QBs.  Colleges aren't producing the NFL prototypical QBs any more.

The Dream Team

Snook

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 11, 2009, 10:56:29 AM

Going to be funny watching the Bucs struggle to win 3 games this year with the same talent Gruden had.

Do you? Tell me one starter who has left on his own terms? �Can't help it the new regieme doesn't want to keep Pro Bowl players.

Who cares?  Are any of those cut players going to any more Pro Bowls?  VERY doubtful.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#35 : May 11, 2009, 10:59:18 AM

I am sure Gruden will get another. Hell if Fox sucks it up in Carolina he might even end up there then we can beat the crap out of him for 5 years in a row. I say this because even Wade Phillips has had 3 jobs in the NFL.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 11, 2009, 11:04:33 AM

I am sure Gruden will get another. Hell if Fox sucks it up in Carolina he might even end up there then we can beat the crap out of him for 5 years in a row. I say this because even Wade Phillips has had 3 jobs in the NFL.

Exactly.  If Gruden choose to coach again next year, he'll have a line of teams (college and pro) waiting.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 11, 2009, 11:05:15 AM

It was from NFL Network. Here's the list.

1. Vince Lombardi
2. **CENSORED** Vermeil
3. John Gruden
4. Marty Schottenheimer
5. George Allen
6. Bill Cowher
7. Bill Parcells
8. Hank Stram
9. Sam Wyche
10. Bum Phillips

Glad to see Wyche on that list as well. I always thought he got a bum deal in Tampa. He was a good coach.

AGREED

I actually like this list.  Gruden motivated that first Bucs team to win a Super Bowl in year one.  He also rebuilt the Raiders quickly and made them a contender - so much so that the year he left his old team also made the Super Bowl.  The other coaches are no slouches either.  I am a little surpriised by Bum Philips at number 10.  I would think Tom Landry would be higher than him.  I love Marty as he brought so many teams to the playoffs no matter where he was.  Even Sam Wyche was an amazing coach.  People forget but he got the Bucs to 7-9 from horrible within three years in Tampa, and drafted some of the key defenders that became the cornerstone of the franchise for years to come.
That Raiders team was already built. They just wouldn't play for Joe Bugel in 1997, but had won at least 7 games every year from 1988-1996.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 11, 2009, 11:10:13 AM

Absolutely no effort put into this list. I disagree with it much so. Gruden as #3, all time. HAHAHA!!

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

jcdoll

Starter

#39 : May 11, 2009, 11:13:11 AM

Do you? Tell me one starter who has left on his own terms? �Can't help it the new regieme doesn't want to keep Pro Bowl players.

Who cares?  Are any of those cut players going to any more Pro Bowls?  VERY doubtful.

Point is Gruden went 9-7 with the same team that is about to go 3-13.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 11, 2009, 11:13:39 AM

Everyone can agree the Bucs haven't had elite talent here lately, right?  So the fact Gruden went 18-14 his last two seasons in Tampa speaks volumes about his coaching ability.

He's far from being a coaching legend, and I think he sucks as an OC, but the Buccaneers are one of the few teams who've been over .500 the last two years -- doing so without elite talent and a fruity QB.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 11, 2009, 11:15:46 AM

Point is, its NOT the same team.  Gruden could never bring (or create) any elite players.  The 2008 Bucs weren't built for the future.

Disagree with their signings and draft all you want, but at least Dominik and Morris are TRYING to build a team with long term success -- not short term patches.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 11, 2009, 11:16:53 AM

Who cares? �Are any of those cut players going to any more Pro Bowls? �VERY doubtful.

Gruden deserves the credit for squeezing 9 wins out of 6 win talent, but he also deserves the criticism of being on the job 7 years total and 5 years with his GM and only having 6 win talent.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 11, 2009, 11:18:19 AM

Gruden deserves the credit for squeezing 9 wins out of 6 win talent, but he also deserves the criticism of being on the job 7 years total and 5 years with his GM and only having 6 win talent.

Perfectly summed it up.

#44 : May 11, 2009, 11:21:25 AM

Did anyone actually watch the segment?  or has this turned into another dead horse?

I saw it last time around, Gruden is a motivator - that much was obvious during the show.   He should be on that list but #3 all time?  Hmmm.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Motivational Coaches of All Time « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools