Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Something is seriously wrong with Falcons: AJC article « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #15 : October 16, 2006, 09:57:58 AM »

Vick can only succeed in an offense that plays to his strengths.  I would say it would be fair to label Vick a system QB at this point in time.  It is clear he needs an o-line that will allow him to drop back and attack downfield.  What he currently has is an o-line that is built for a quick passing attack to hide some of weaknesses of the unit in pass protection and he simply is not good with the shorter passes.  His backs are not able to pound the ball and consistently gain yards.  As Max Power said their running game is a quick hitting style designed on speed and the big play.  But when they need ball control and to sustain drives (or to help out Vick if he is struggling) for time of possesion this is what they lack the most.

Vick looked a lot more comfortable in Reeves offense.  Say what you want about it being antiquated but it played to a lot of Vicks's strengths and covered a lot of them up.  The WCO has exposed a lot of Vick's weakpoints.

Vicks leadership is in question becuase at times he looks like a leader and at times he looks like just an ordinary player.  But I will go back to my point that Vick most likely is simply a system QB. 

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #16 : October 16, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »

Vick can only succeed in an offense that plays to his strengths. I would say it would be fair to label Vick a system QB at this point in time. It is clear he needs an o-line that will allow him to drop back and attack downfield. What he currently has is an o-line that is built for a quick passing attack to hide some of weaknesses of the unit in pass protection and he simply is not good with the shorter passes. His backs are not able to pound the ball and consistently gain yards. As Max Power said their running game is a quick hitting style designed on speed and the big play. But when they need ball control and to sustain drives (or to help out Vick if he is struggling) for time of possesion this is what they lack the most.

Vick looked a lot more comfortable in Reeves offense. Say what you want about it being antiquated but it played to a lot of Vicks's strengths and covered a lot of them up. The WCO has exposed a lot of Vick's weakpoints.

Vicks leadership is in question becuase at times he looks like a leader and at times he looks like just an ordinary player. But I will go back to my point that Vick most likely is simply a system QB.

Being a leader isn't weather you play well, it's just as it sounds, being a leader. No matter what the situation, your leaders show the team that anything is possible through your body language or vocally. Vick is nothing close to that at a position where it's essential......

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #17 : October 16, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »

Being a leader isn't weather you play well, it's just as it sounds, being a leader. No matter what the situation, your leaders show the team that anything is possible through your body language or vocally. Vick is nothing close to that at a position where it's essential......

That is true. 

« #18 : October 16, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »

As I read this, I can't help but try to figure out how this team could be so bad, yet put an a$$-whooping on the Bucs?  Where is the reality that their scheme does work to an extent.  Shoot, the Bucs fall apart when we are down a couple scores also, does that make our QB as bad also?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #19 : October 16, 2006, 10:22:51 AM »

As I read this, I can't help but try to figure out how this team could be so bad, yet put an a$$-whooping on the Bucs?  Where is the reality that their scheme does work to an extent.  Shoot, the Bucs fall apart when we are down a couple scores also, does that make our QB as bad also?

Because they laid 300 plus yards on the ground versus the Bucs.

That is all it takes to win a game.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #20 : October 16, 2006, 10:33:59 AM »

If something is seriously wrong now wait until they play Pittsburgh and @ Cincy the next two weeks.

coopsxx

Starter
« #21 : October 16, 2006, 11:14:35 AM »

haha freakin beautiful :D

« #22 : October 16, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »

Because they laid 300 plus yards on the ground versus the Bucs.

That is all it takes to win a game.

Oh, I agree, but to rip the Falcons for being bad is pretty shortsighted. When their rush offense is in gear, they are very tough to stop.  Vick is a great QB for that College offense, it just seems like some sour grapes around here.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #23 : October 16, 2006, 12:47:24 PM »

When their rush offense is in gear, they are very tough to stop.

I disagree. 

gone

Hall of Famer
« #24 : October 16, 2006, 02:30:14 PM »

QUOTE from first paragraph:
"Something’s wrong when a team that makes noises about the Super Bowl can’t manage a first down for 23 minutes in a second half that can only be described as revelatory. Something’s wrong when Michael Vick, who used to be able to throw the ball to great effect, can accomplish nothing via the forward pass. Something’s wrong when an NFL team of first-rank talent is reduced to being the equivalent of Oklahoma in the ’70s."

The writer obviously has NEVER seen a falcons game.  Or maybe he watched the one Shaub started?

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #25 : October 16, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »

I do not know why I am about to do this but Vick is not entirely the problem with the offense. As mentioned by keeponbucn Knapp is not that good of an offensive coordinator. He is an extension of Marriuci except a lot more conservative. Their wide receivers are not that good and they do not help out in making a game changing plays (I am wondering where Lelie is?). Their offensive line can not pass protect at all which really compounds the problems Vick has in the passing game.

Defensively they have the talent to play defense but Donatell is too conservative. Playing soft coverage is okay once and while but eventually you have to try to blitz or force a team to beat you over the top. Instead Tiki Barber had a complete game which really put Atlanta's defense on their heels.

Honesty's a kick in the nuts, ain't it???

In defense of Vick (insert boo's here) He had 2 TD's dropped yesterday. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

captaindabblin

Second String

« #26 : October 16, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »

Gotta like it!!
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Something is seriously wrong with Falcons: AJC article « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools