Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Science 1 God 0 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 23

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

: May 16, 2009, 11:38:10 PM

Really another argument about something this dumb really guys?

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 16, 2009, 11:40:46 PM

If you "believe" then you would "act" accordingly. If not, then either something is wrong with your "belief" or something is wrong with your overall thought process (psychosis?). But someone could ''act" proper for reasons other than belief. Therefore, judging "belief" makes more sense because if the belief is right, the acts should also follow. It is like a Buy one get one free, and God loves a bargain.

Not buying that one at all. Judging belief makes zero sense from what I've seen. Too many Christians that I've met, who believe in Jesus and his message, don't practice what they preach. The hypocrisy is sickening. And I focus on Christians because that is who I encounter 99% of the time when it comes to religious folks.

Belief is not important.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 16, 2009, 10:46:12 PM

I believe in let's say a "higher power" in general that created all things and that holds the final judgement for us all in the palm of his hand,

And part of criteria for that judgment has to do with what you believe? Or, is it more important how you live your life?

Let's assume, for this thread, that there IS a judgment. Wouldn't it make sense to judge acts over beliefs?

Well in my personal life I am behaving myself, treating those around me politely and with respect, not taking anything for granted, and putting my trust and faith in God everyday; so if you put all that together I think I will be ok hopefully when my judgement day arrives.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 15, 2009, 08:43:11 PM

The score is worse than that obviously but another experiment that closes the gaps where god can hide:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/05/the-origin-of-life-explainedthe-origin-of-life-has-been-a-huge-question-since-the-subject-got-smart-enough-to-ask-it-weve-tr.html

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 15, 2009, 09:33:26 PM

Only because A human has analyzed it and said it was soooo. Its got to be real right? Not in this day and age dalbuc...I will not argue with this but I will say anytime man thinks he is superior to God...He's fooling himself...OBD

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 15, 2009, 10:06:23 PM

I will say anytime man thinks he is superior to God...He's fooling himself...OBD

There is no proof that God exists. Just like there is no proof that God doesn't exist.

Science and religion have been at war for centuries. But it is never the goal of science to disprove God. The goal of science is to discover truth. Anyone who tries to prevent scientific discovery obviously has something to fear. And obviously has private reservations about truth of his own faith.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 15, 2009, 11:09:16 PM

Its got to be real right? Not in this day and age dalbuc...

No, your argument was ok for "this day and age" about 500 years ago in parts of the world that matter or about 5 minutes ago in the world of Islam.

God's little box just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 16, 2009, 08:01:58 PM

Sounds to me that you aren't 100% sure your right, but you have enough evidence to allow the leap of faith to be a short one...

I understand that - I've done the same thing.

Altruism? Borrowing my beliefs and conviction is not allowed in your attempt to explain your belief.

The existentialist took your belief all the way to it's ultimate, logical, conclusion - altrusim has truth as a basic concept.

If man is a pointless being - what's the use living inside a box? Why build up rules other than "the strongest rule and the strongest survive.

Existentialism claims that man should fill up your time with pursuits of the HERE and NOW...experience EVERY emotion to the ultimate - because if there is no God, then man has no purpose except to enjoy himself. Your atruism is a red flag to others that you don't have the courage of your convictions - to keep believing in some point and withhold ANY satisfaction or desire is cruel - if you deny an urge of the senses (sensual pleasures) means you stop men from their natural pursuits in the short amount of time they have to live.

Why would you keep men from sucking the marrow out of life? It's all they have.

Why would men need laws to keep order? Isn't barbarism a law and order? Why would we limit the strong to empower the weak if it doesn't matter - ultimately?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

escobar

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 15, 2009, 11:27:17 PM

Its got to be real right? Not in this day and age dalbuc...

No, your argument was ok for "this day and age" about 500 years ago in parts of the world that matter or about 5 minutes ago in the world of Islam.

God's little box just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

What an absurd argument. God either exists or he doesn't. He doesn't "almost not exist".

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 15, 2009, 11:43:14 PM

What an absurd argument. God either exists or he doesn't. He doesn't "almost not exist".

You've never heard the "God lives in the margins" argument? The religious types claim that where science leaves off is where god takes up. That's the box. That box god. can be hiding in gets smaller and smaller all the time. There's no arguing "he exists a little" the argument is more precisely that the only place god can live is where we don't understand and as our understanding gets bigger the nooks and crannies of ignorance for god to hide in keep shrinking.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 16, 2009, 12:21:22 AM

I will simply say that I believe that there is a heaven & hell and an afterlife but I can't be 100% sure, because no one that I know has been there and done that for a long period and told everyone what they experienced when they came back. However, I am going to go ahead and place a bet with my soul as payment that God does exist and that everyone will be judged, and in the end if I am wrong I won't be penalized at all but if I am right I will be eternally rewarded. It's a win - win as far as I'm concerned.

kmitch

Second String

#11 : May 16, 2009, 12:30:13 AM

So what was "God" needed for, in the entire existence of the Universe? Seems like every year science takes away one of the things that God must have created.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 16, 2009, 12:31:40 AM

All I will say is this. We can analyze, identify and study until the cows come home. Science, with all it's success and viability will never explain where that first 'thing' came from. Therefore we ask the question, who made it?

kmitch

Second String

#13 : May 16, 2009, 12:35:23 AM

All I will say is this. We can analyze, identify and study until the cows come home. Science, with all it's success and viability will never explain where that first 'thing' came from. Therefore we ask the question, who made it?

Wait 20-50 years, and science will very likely find that answer too. Science has been making discoveries at an exponential rate over the last 100 years.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 16, 2009, 12:59:03 AM

Science can make all the assumptions it wants but until it can make a plant from all its man made ingredients and wave a magic wand with the little words of I have the power to create life...If that man made plant life with its man made ingredients sprouts leaves and bare fruit then I will believe MAN is GOD but until then I think I will leave the Creation of Life to the Creator and Not try as "the Creation to explain the actual intelligence of the Creator. I wonder if the light bulb had this many problems with Edison or was it the other way around...OBD

Page: 1 2 3 ... 23
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Science 1 God 0 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools