Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo: Adams and Talib development is "critical" to Tampa's future success « previous next »
Page: 1 2

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

: May 16, 2009, 11:33:14 PM

I totally agree with it they are right on.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 16, 2009, 07:22:39 AM

Good article; thanks!
    On Gaines:
"As with the goals, Adams is trying to copy Taylor in other ways. Bates has Adams looking at film of Taylor, studying Taylor’s pass-rushing moves.

More importantly, Bates is putting Adams in the same position. Unlike the Tampa 2 defense, which primarily had the defensive linemen lined up nose to nose with the offensive linemen and guarding both gaps, Bates’ system allows Adams to line up on an angle opposite the left tackle almost all the time.

“I’m lined up on the left tackle’s shoulder now rather than nose to nose … 18 inches and **CENSORED**ed,” Adams said. As a result, he’s gone from being lined up approximately five inches away from the left tackle to the 18 inches. “It takes all the thinking out of what we have to do up front.”

Instead, that extra space gives Adams enough room to make a move – or at least let the left tackle think there’s going to be a move. It allows the 6-foot-4, 260-pound Adams to take advantage of his athletic ability, to ultimately make him more of a weapon and, as the Bucs hope, a leader."

I think he will thrive under Bates. They're building a system to take advantage of these young guys' abilities rather than force them into playing the somewhat rigid Tampa 2. I like it!!

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 16, 2009, 01:17:10 AM

Not a bad read....

An excerpt...
Again, what the Bucs need from Adams and Talib is greatness if they’re going to get where they hope by 2010 or 2011. It’s easy to read in Dominik’s face that this season probably will be a struggle.

“We understand what people on the outside think,” Dominik said. “That’s all right, we have a plan and we’re going about it a certain way.”

To that end, players such as linebacker Angelo Crowell(notes) and running back Derrick Ward(notes) were signed as free agents. Both were captains on their previous teams. Tight end Kellen Winslow(notes), acquired by trade, brings a serious work ethic and no fear of expressing his opinion.

While that’s all well and good, the critical element still comes down to Adams and Talib. Both need to become significant players because there’s no getting around the fact that players generally follow the best guys, particularly in football.

That’s why what Sapp had to say rang so strongly with the players.

“In this game, in this business, you always have to have other people to step up and mold or help mold and encourage those guys to exhibit what they have inside them. We gotta bring it out of each other,” said wide receiver Antonio Bryant(notes). “That’s what Sapp was saying … you have to listen to that. I don’t want to listen to a coach who hasn’t been out on the field. You’re listening to the warrior, the guy who has been out there.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqYBVZwqwuS51XaTEl9JEqhDubYF?slug=jc-rebuildingbucs051409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SpeedyClaxton

Starter

#3 : May 16, 2009, 01:28:46 AM

I dont think there's any question that Talib will become a star. On the other hand Gaines Adams still has a lot of work to do but I have faith in him.

We shut down \\\\\\\" The Vet\\\\\\\" and we opened up Lincoln Financial with a bang!!!!

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 16, 2009, 01:31:42 AM

Agreed...I think Talib will be special, hoping Gaines picks it up this year

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 16, 2009, 02:16:33 AM

Excellent read. I read that and thought of so many doubters and idiots I've heard comments from about the new Bucs.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

jcdoll

Starter

#6 : May 16, 2009, 07:53:53 AM

Talib is a pro-bowl type CB IMO....Gaines is a bust

Booker

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 16, 2009, 10:24:58 AM

Gaines lining up wider is going to help a lot more than people think

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 16, 2009, 10:27:49 AM

Gaines lining up wider is going to help a lot more than people think
Why...he has no inside pass rush move!  Until he develops an inside rush he's going to be average at best

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

The Q

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 16, 2009, 11:12:12 AM

I don't know what is retarding Gaines development of the inside move. Why can't this be taught to him?
Talib is going to be solid for years, I can's say the same about Gaines.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 16, 2009, 11:26:41 AM

I think he will thrive under Bates. They're building a system to take advantage of these young guys' abilities rather than force them into playing the somewhat rigid Tampa 2. I like it!!

Somehow Rice made a living in the same "rigid" system - and frankly I seem to recall Simeon out wide a lot as well for that matter. The system also doesn't hurt Freeny much either. The problem isn't the system, it is the player in the system.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 16, 2009, 12:21:56 PM

Gaines broke out the inside spin move a few times last year. I think he'll make big strides his year.

Definitely see immense potential in Talib.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#12 : May 16, 2009, 01:38:47 PM

They are def both critical to our future success. They were both number 1 picks. You have to hit on those picks to succeed in this league.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 17, 2009, 12:21:02 AM

Not trying to be overly flip however declaring that the performance of the last two #1 picks in the draft for the team is critical is not exactly uncovering some hidden gem of news.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 17, 2009, 01:02:49 AM

I have all the confidence in the world for Talib, but Gaines Adams will have to bust out big this year or will be considered a bust by most Bucs fans.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo: Adams and Talib development is "critical" to Tampa's future success « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools