Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthrax April Fools « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« : April 05, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »

SEBRING - To Jerron Mario Moffitt, authorities say, it was an April Fool's prank: randomly placing envelopes containing a white powder on dozens of vehicles in a hospital parking lot and in mailboxes in his own neighborhood and beyond.

The result: a 14-hour shutdown of Florida Hospital Heartland; an investigation by local, state and federal law enforcement; and a jittery two days for this community 90 miles southeast of Tampa.

Most of the envelopes had a hand-drawn "smiley face" on the outside. Inside was a folded piece of paper bearing the words "define Anthrax" and containing the white powder.

Moffitt, 20, said he even put an envelope in his own mailbox to fool his father, an arrest report states.

Moffitt was arrested Friday night, a day after the powder scare gripped the community. Tests showed the white powder was harmless, although investigators are still trying to identify the substance.

Moffitt was being held today on 79 counts of possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction, the Highlands County Sheriff's Office said. Each charge carries a prison sentence of up to 15 years. His bail was set at $790,000 on those charges.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr/04/041344/anthrax-hoax-meant-be-april-fools-prank/news-breaking-yahoo/

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 05, 2009, 01:08:09 AM »

LOL!

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

kmitchell

Starter

« #2 : April 05, 2009, 04:09:35 AM »

Possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction. Isn't that what we hung Hussein for??

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 05, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »

lol

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 05, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »

man, too harsh of a punishment

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 05, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »

man, too harsh of a punishment

I disagree. Pretty serious stuff. remember, every time they have to pull all these resources to investigate a hoax, then they ar enot investigating REAL threats. And you don't want a "boy who cried wolf" mentality to gain hold.

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 05, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »

Not too harsh. You get what comes to you when you are that dumb

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 05, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »

What an enormous idiot! A 20-year-old man has got to know better in this day and age. I hope he does end up doing jail time. This stuff is no laughing matter anymore and stupid people have got to understand the consequences. Same as the "jokester" who is going through the X-ray machine and the metal detector at the airport and says "I hope they don't find the bomb I've got in there. Yuk, yuk, yuk."  Security officials don't play around anymore -- they can't afford to.
I guarantee this guy comes out and says "It was only a joke. What's the problem?"

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthrax April Fools « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools