Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is what happens to a defense that runs this scheme..... « previous next »
Page: 1

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: February 05, 2007, 09:43:44 AM

without a player capable of playing undertackle.  :o :o :o

The beauty of this defense is that it can be really disruptive but the huge disadvantage is it relies too much on one player.  Do you think the Bears missed Tommie Harrris?  I say a resounding yes.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 05, 2007, 09:45:43 AM

Haha, I just posted almost this same exact thing in another thread.  I think Harris being injured was the #1 reason the Bears didn't win.  The decline of the defense after he was injured is very evident.  They went from elite to just very good.  I think it answers a lot of questions for those who are against drafting a UT in round 1.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 05, 2007, 09:46:25 AM

... of course none of that matters if IND can't keep those edge rushers out of their backfield which just hilights the value of a LOT and watching grossman screw the pooch shows the value of having a not-a-spare QB.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 05, 2007, 09:49:39 AM

Grossman's awfulness had everything to do with the loss along with the 80 plays the Colts ran. Tommy Harris wouldn't have made much difference, IMO, in Grossman's inability to be at least average.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#4 : February 05, 2007, 10:00:46 AM

Grossman's awfulness had everything to do with the loss along with the 80 plays the Colts ran. Tommy Harris wouldn't have made much difference, IMO, in Grossman's inability to be at least average.
Come on, Grossman was hardly on the field. Sure he wasn't great when he was on there, but the Colts had the ball for like 56 minutes actual time at one point. The Bears defense was supposed to be it's strength, and it didn't do it's part of the job.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 05, 2007, 10:02:39 AM

Also the importance of bringing the ball carrier down at first contact. Peyton really wasn't anything special this game and pretty much all post-season but Indy was a tackling machine and Chicago allowed YAC out the ying yang.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 05, 2007, 10:04:24 AM

Come on, Grossman was hardly on the field. Sure he wasn't great when he was on there, but the Colts had the ball for like 56 minutes actual time at one point. The Bears defense was supposed to be it's strength, and it didn't do it's part of the job.

It goes hand in hand. The Bears defense didn't play well but Grossman could've helped out a little bit by keeping them off the field and not acting like a fool throwing jump balls.

The Bears defense played opposite of what they've done the entire year. it was strange to me that it took them 2 quarters to blitz Manning. They played passive, IMO.

Grossman really shat all over himself. it was painful to watch.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : February 05, 2007, 10:04:34 AM

without a player capable of playing undertackle.  :o :o :o

The beauty of this defense is that it can be really disruptive but the huge disadvantage is it relies too much on one player.  Do you think the Bears missed Tommie Harrris?  I say a resounding yes.
Isn't Tommie Harris a FA also? If so, then that may open the door up for Briggs not getting tagged.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 05, 2007, 10:07:38 AM

Isn't Tommie Harris a FA also? If so, then that may open the door up for Briggs not getting tagged.
Harris is only finishing up his third year in the league. He was drafted one spot ahead of Michael Clayton.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 05, 2007, 10:10:16 AM

2 of his picks were in the air an awful long time, had no touch, just threw it up up up in the air and the defense were the only ones with a chance at catching it.

I feel bad for the guy, but he blows!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#10 : February 05, 2007, 10:13:16 AM

Tommie Harris becomes an FA next season but there is 0 chance the Bears let him go. If they did, he would command a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $20 MM.

Although I gotta say one thing. His injury may have been the best possible thing to happend for us. Because of his injury, contract talks may stall. And consider Briggs' performance in the post season, its going to be extremely tough for the Bears not to ink him. If they do, they won't have the cap money to ink Harris and they'll have to franchise him, which means he'll probably sign some kind of contract that would make him either an FA or get him a 5-year deal.

In other words, theres a much higher probability now that Harris is an FA in 2009.

#11 : February 05, 2007, 10:22:55 AM

Grossman wasn't on the field because his eneptness didn't allow him to sustain any drives.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 05, 2007, 10:55:30 AM

These are all good points. The UT is crucial because you can ride those speed guys out wide. The Colts offensive line was just great last night IMHO.

This is why I think they let Briggs walk. They can find another Briggs to a certain extent but they cannot find another Harris...

I still think Briggs is a goner...

Baghead #2

Shag

Pro Bowler

#13 : February 05, 2007, 11:18:04 AM

The Bears have 27M in cap room. They won't have any problem keeping Briggs.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 05, 2007, 12:07:27 PM

The Bears have 27M in cap room. They won't have any problem keeping Briggs.

Absolutely true, BUT that 27 million will basically disappear if you bring back Briggs and Harris both! Briggs is going to want MAJOR cash and so Harris. Sure they can tag Briggs but that only delays the inevitable. I shouldn't have said they WILL let Briggs walk but I do want to see what happens, should be ineresting. Tough decisions in Chi town right now with Lovie, Briggs, Harris, Rivera....

Baghead #2
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is what happens to a defense that runs this scheme..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools