Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peyton Manning - Where does he rank now all time? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 05, 2007, 03:56:34 PM

Manning was on pace to be the Marino of this generation, revered but ring-less. Now he's got the ring and there's not much to say. He's gonna keep piling up yards and TD's. I don't know if he's got another SB in him. The only knock you've got on him now is that even in his SB year he wasn't very good in the post-season.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 05, 2007, 04:01:32 PM

tough to say, but i think he'll defeinitely finish his career more highly regarded than brett favre, since they both have the same number of rings and (i think) league MVPs and peyton's still 7 or so years behind - manning's winning percentage under dungy is pretty ludicrous too.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 05, 2007, 04:34:16 PM

The Colts will lose some steam next year unless guys like Harrison and Manning take paycuts. They have the least amount of free cap space in the league and also the most unrestricted free agents. So the salary cap is starting to close the Colt's window.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 05, 2007, 04:34:33 PM

If you're dishing out love to Peyton for winning a Super Bowl, then you have to give some to Troy Aikman too. Dude has 3.

And before you say it was a benefit of Emmitt Smith, Bradshaw and Elway, both multiple SB winners, had pretty good running attacks behind them too..

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 05, 2007, 05:01:44 PM

Aikman will never make the conversation Red - don't think of him as anything more than good likely bc he followed Staubach.

As for Peyton, by the time his career is over it will be Unitas. Manning and a nod to Montana.  Just shows my age I suppose.  LOL. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 05, 2007, 05:04:34 PM

If you're dishing out love to Peyton for winning a Super Bowl, then you have to give some to Troy Aikman too. Dude has 3.

Aikman never had to throw out the crazy stats of some of these guys because he did his job right to start. Rick Gosselin did his presentation at the HoF committed and he had stats showing that for the first half Aikman was as good as any HoF QB. Thing was he got his teams out front and then let Smith run out the second half unlike Elway who was always behind and throwing like mad in the second half.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 05, 2007, 05:06:05 PM

Aikman will always be my favorite QB of all time but I don't even think he would be in the discussion until you started talking about the top 20 or so.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 05, 2007, 05:56:15 PM

I would take Favre over Elway for sure...

Watching favre for the last 15 years on most Sundays, this guy is/was special...

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 05, 2007, 06:12:48 PM

Aikman will never make the conversation Red - don't think of him as anything more than good likely bc he followed Staubach.

???

Staubach retired in 1979, Aikman was drafted in 1989.

For my money, if you ask me who I want QB-ing my team thru the post-season. It's Montana-Brady-Aikman, in no particular order. Aikman didn't have the gaudy numbers of Marino or Manning, but he was as money in the clutch as any QB. The rings don't lie.

I guess it all comes down to what your own personal criteria is for the greatest QB, but to say Aikman will never make the conversation is pretty short-sighted..

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 05, 2007, 06:18:36 PM

honestly all colts hatred aside.... i still wouldnt trust manning qbing my team in a pressure situation. his numbers this postseason were horrible... bob sanders and addai had more to do with their ring than manning did.

montana, brady, elway, favre, aikman, young, marino.... all qb's i'd want before manning.

not to mention the receiving core manning has had....

could you imagine how many rings marino would have had on THAT team??? forget about it.

Ironphister

Second String

#25 : February 05, 2007, 08:53:08 PM

i agree with you KB, but Aikman certainly belongs in the conversation - that club went in the crapper quick when he went pillow head...  the early list didn't have salary caps hurting their squads like Manning so that should be in the topics to consider list as well.

RedAlert - good call on Aikman (I knew I was leaving out a multi ring bearer, weird that I couldn't place him)...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 05, 2007, 08:59:34 PM

He's only 30 and is already in the top ten in most QB catagories.  He will probably hold most of the statisical records by a large margin when he hangs up the cleats.

#27 : February 05, 2007, 09:04:03 PM

honestly all colts hatred aside.... i still wouldnt trust manning qbing my team in a pressure situation.

I agree with that. I'm taking Brady or Steve Young if I have to play 1 game for all the marbles.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 05, 2007, 09:34:44 PM

???

Staubach retired in 1979, Aikman was drafted in 1989.

For my money, if you ask me who I want QB-ing my team thru the post-season. It's Montana-Brady-Aikman, in no particular order. Aikman didn't have the gaudy numbers of Marino or Manning, but he was as money in the clutch as any QB. The rings don't lie.

I guess it all comes down to what your own personal criteria is for the greatest QB, but to say Aikman will never make the conversation is pretty short-sighted..

He clearly did not follow Staubach directly, not saying that.  But Roger had all the charisma and led the team to great heights with an All time coach in Laundry.  He is Dallas' great qb.  Aikman falls in comparison to Staubach - hard to get to one of the best of all time when he is #2 at his club.   Aikman played with a great team build by Johnson and others that has had issues and stories about conduct, failures and successes.  When you look at his individual stats he just does't get there like the others. 

Montana-Brady-Aikman misses a lot of qbs as well.  Folks like Elway, Farve, Unitas, Peyton and Archie Manning, Tarkington, man the list can go on forever.  Montana and Brady were machines.  Aikman and his group had a lot of success, but some real failures as well.  Lot of issues in that team that have come out over the years as well.  Good that off the field issues don't keep folks out of the HOF. 

Aikman get some consideration due to the number of rings, but he doesn't have the numbers.  Brady doesn't belong there yet maybe - but he will get there bc he gets it done and has the numbers, especially in the big games.  Like you said - a lot of way to look at it, but other than rings Troy Aikman doesn't get there. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 06, 2007, 01:40:47 AM

He's been the best QB in the NFL for a while now.   I'd rank him top 10 best out of the ones I've seen play (watching NFL since 1973).
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peyton Manning - Where does he rank now all time? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools