Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game MVP? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LynchPin

Rookie

: October 16, 2006, 09:28:22 AM

With all due respect to PR, I have a hard time giving Gradkowski the game MVP.  He completed just 56% of his passes for 184 yards, threw one INT, should have had at least 2 others picked off, and on a number of occassions threw into coverage when another receiver was open.  He deserves a lot of credit for leading the offense on a last minute go-ahead TD drive in only his second start, but ignoring the fact that he's a rookie I would probably give him about a B- on the game.

If I had to give the MVP to a player it would be Wymms simply because he was the best defensive player in a game that was one by the defense.'

But, my vote for MVP goes to the refs, not because they did a good job - although it took a lot of guts to make the right call and overturn the call on the TD - but because they were instrumental in both of the Bucs TD drives.  Both roughing the passer calls were awful, IMO, and while you can argue that the Bucs probably would have scored the first TD even without the penalty on Geathers, the penalty on Smith was a huge factor in the game-winning TD drive.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 16, 2006, 09:30:22 AM

I wouldn't give game MVP to Grad either.  He threw alot of horrible passes that game.   He still has alot of growing to do.   

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 16, 2006, 09:31:05 AM

With all due respect to PR, I have a hard time giving Gradkowski the game MVP. He completed just 56% of his passes for 184 yards, threw one INT, should have had at least 2 others picked off, and on a number of occassions threw into coverage when another receiver was open. He deserves a lot of credit for leading the offense on a last minute go-ahead TD drive in only his second start, but ignoring the fact that he's a rookie I would probably give him about a B- on the game.

If I had to give the MVP to a player it would be Wymms simply because he was the best defensive player in a game that was one by the defense.'

But, my vote for MVP goes to the refs, not because they did a good job - although it took a lot of guts to make the right call and overturn the call on the TD - but because they were instrumental in both of the Bucs TD drives. Both roughing the passer calls were awful, IMO, and while you can argue that the Bucs probably would have scored the first TD even without the penalty on Geathers, the penalty on Smith was a huge factor in the game-winning TD drive.

I gave the MVP to Wyms, as that last sack kept them out of field goal range.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 16, 2006, 09:31:41 AM

I wouldn't give game MVP to Grad either.  He threw alot of horrible passes that game.   He still has alot of growing to do.   

I agree.  Wyms deserves game MVP as he outshined Booger who is in front of him on the depth chart.  After starting off with a quiet year Wyms showed up big in this game as well as White. 

BucsNBullsBaby

Second String

#4 : October 16, 2006, 09:38:59 AM

Grads gets the nod.  He didn't play the best of games - his long throws were way off - but you can tell his presence lifts the rest of the offense.  Kept his cool, came through at the end.  Thats the sign of an MVP.

Max Power

Starter

#5 : October 16, 2006, 10:02:20 AM

Wymms on D and Cadillac on O.  He was motor behind our offense most of the day yesterday.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 16, 2006, 10:06:59 AM

Wymms on D and Cadillac on O.  He was motor behind our offense most of the day yesterday.

Take away Caddy's one long run and he was fairly disappointing, that is why Gruden abandoned the run a little in the 4th quarter.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#7 : October 16, 2006, 10:10:34 AM

Take away Caddy's one long run and he was fairly disappointing, that is why Gruden abandoned the run a little in the 4th quarter.

WTH is that about mjs? We expect Caddy to break off a long run, that's his freaking job. At halftime he had 42 yards on 10 attempts, a 4.2 ypc. What else could you ask for? When the holes open Caddy gets the job done. If not for a blown blocking assignment in the 4th quarter, he would have ended the game with 100+ yards.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 16, 2006, 10:13:35 AM

I'd give it to Wyms as well. And as far as the penalty call on the game winning drive goes: it was absolutely and without question the correct call.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 16, 2006, 10:15:45 AM

WTH is that about mjs? We expect Caddy to break off a long run, that's his freaking job. At halftime he had 42 yards on 10 attempts, a 4.2 ypc. What else could you ask for? When the holes open Caddy gets the job done. If not for a blown blocking assignment in the 4th quarter, he would have ended the game with 100+ yards.
Agreed.

Caddy helped control the clock Sunday.  He did a good job, he didn't fumble.

Wyms hustled out there, even the play when he chased the screen play down from behind.  But Boldin played pretty decently considering who(m) he had to guard.

Good collective effort by the defense.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 16, 2006, 10:16:54 AM

So in the second half he had 52 yards, 38 of which came off one run.  So he was averaging 1.75 yards on the other eight runs.  

JF - mentioned this on the radio this morning, and Gruden was asked about it.  Gruden wasn't happy with the production in the 3rd and early 4th quarter so he used the pass more.

Max Power

Starter

#11 : October 16, 2006, 10:19:14 AM

It was Grudens choice to bench Buenning and continue to run to the left. Right side was either opening holes or getting push all game long.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 16, 2006, 10:22:09 AM

It was Grudens choice to bench Buenning and continue to run to the left. Right side was either opening holes or getting push all game long.

Not to mention that Carnell only had 19 carries.  This is the one time you can not really blame Carnell.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#13 : October 16, 2006, 10:28:27 AM

That's the way the run games works. Take a look around the league, when a team is determined to stop the run the running game will be stymied at times, but if you continue to chip away, eventually your RB (if he's talented) will break one for a long gain.

I don't see how you call his performance a disappoinment regardless of a long run, the point is when the line actually opened a nice hole he took advantage. He didn't slip an fall or run into his blockers, he did his damn job. You have to question the blocking in the second half, not the runner IMO. If he goes from 4.2 a clip to 1.75 and then breaks one for 38 yards where do you think the problem lies? Basically, I'm questioning why you'd single his performance out as being dissappointing?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 16, 2006, 10:30:21 AM

Did anyone notice that Caddy did dance a few times?  But I can't fault his game.  I just hate dancing.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game MVP? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools