Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game MVP? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #15 : October 16, 2006, 10:32:42 AM »

On another note, did anyone notice that the 38 yard scamped came out of the "rocket" backfield?

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #16 : October 16, 2006, 10:34:39 AM »

I'd give it to M80.  He's been totally criticized this year for not coming up big, but those doing the critiquing have missed his outstanding run blocking.  Sunday he blocked and caught the ball and made the winning score.  Nothing against Grads or Wyms who needs to get more PT over Booger, but M80 was my guy Sunday...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #17 : October 16, 2006, 10:36:53 AM »

Chev, I was quietly thinking the same thing. In the clutch he came up very big, if he doesn't make a play to get into the endzone we lose plain and simple. I'd give him the award, too.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #18 : October 16, 2006, 10:37:33 AM »

Basically, I'm questioning why you'd single his performance out as being disappointing?

He played a lot better than the first few games this season, but he is still struggling a little.  He had two big runs, 38 and 18 yards, but take those away and he was averaging 2.2 ypc.  To warrant the MVP he really needs to consistently move the chains IMO.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #19 : October 16, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »

Clayton had a good game, no doubt about it.   Galloway was tough as usual as well.   I thought the OL had a great game as well.   Grads had alot of time back there for the most part.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #20 : October 16, 2006, 10:38:20 AM »

Clayton looked like a man that had just won the lotto when they reversed the call.

But I looked like a man who had just won the Mega-lotto!

I was so irritated that the refs even had to review that call, and actually, the boys in the bar were upset by it too.  

I heard a lot of "The refs are sucking" comments yesterday.

I still thought Boldin played a decent game, FWIW.  Wyms too.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #21 : October 16, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »

He played a lot better than the first few games this season, but he is still struggling a little.  He had two big runs, 38 and 18 yards, but take those away and he was averaging 2.2 ypc.  To warrant the MVP he really needs to consistently move the chains IMO.

Here's my take on that, mjs. I think if you look around the league and take away every RBs long runs (10 yards or more) none of them are going to average 5 ypc. From a consistency standpoint, if the OL can continue to improve we'll see more long runs. I don't think you can exclude his long runs in the process of determining whether his performance warrants a MVP nomination. Without those two long runs we most like never get into scoring position. That alone should make him a game MVP nominee.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #22 : October 16, 2006, 10:51:41 AM »

If Wyms doesn't make that sack, I think the Bengals get the FG and the win.  Then we'd be having much different conversations about Grads' play and the playcalling for this game.  The sack by Wyms to stop a game-winning FG is the biggest difference (IMO, of course) between the win against Cincinnati and the loss to Carolina.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #23 : October 16, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »

Without those two long runs we most like never get into scoring position. That alone should make him a game MVP nominee.

We had six 3rd down completions in the game, and Grads got two of them in the scoring drives.  Without Grads coming up big on those key plays we wouldn't have scored either.  

I am not sure who deserves the MVP because it was a team effort and no one really stood out IMO.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

« #24 : October 16, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »

If you're going to take away all his long runs, take away all his negative runs too. Especially since those aren't even his fault, its the OL allowing instant penetration. Here are his runs:
1-10-TB20   (15:00) C.Williams up the middle to TB 21 for 1 yard (K.Kaesviharn).
2-9-TB21   (14:25) C.Williams up the middle to TB 28 for 7 yards (L.Johnson, J.Smith).
1-10-TB10   (10:18) C.Williams up the middle to TB 14 for 4 yards (J.Smith).
2-8-TB32   (3:06) C.Williams right end to TB 35 for 3 yards (M.Williams, J.Thornton).
1-20-TB36   (1:18) C.Williams left end to TB 37 for 1 yard (A.Brooks).
1-10-TB32   (9:01) C.Williams up the middle to 50 for 18 yards (L.Johnson, M.Williams).
1-5-CIN45   (8:06) C.Williams up the middle to CIN 44 for 1 yard (L.Johnson, M.Williams).
2-4-CIN44   (7:35) C.Williams left guard to CIN 39 for 5 yards (R.Geathers, M.Williams).
1-10-CIN27   (5:30) C.Williams left tackle to CIN 25 for 2 yards (A.Brooks, J.Thornton).
1-10-TB42   (3:10) C.Williams left end to TB 42 for no gain (J.Joseph, A.Brooks).
2-2-TB28   (11:50) C.Williams up the middle to TB 33 for 5 yards (A.Brooks, J.Smith).
2-6-TB37   (10:41) C.Williams up the middle to CIN 25 for 38 yards (K.Kaesviharn).
1-10-CIN25   (9:55) C.Williams left end to CIN 26 for -1 yards (A.Brooks).
1-9-CIN9   (7:49) C.Williams up the middle to CIN 5 for 4 yards (M.Williams).
2-5-CIN5   (7:15) C.Williams left end to CIN 1 for 4 yards (A.Brooks, M.Williams).
1-10-TB33   (1:20) C.Williams up the middle to TB 35 for 2 yards (J.Thornton, C.Miller).
1-10-CIN46   (13:42) C.Williams up the middle to CIN 41 for 5 yards (A.Brooks, M.Williams).
2-5-CIN41   (13:04) C.Williams up the middle to CIN 39 for 2 yards (C.Miller).
1-10-CIN49   (7:42) C.Williams left end to TB 45 for -6 yards (M.Williams).

I see quite a few 4-7 yard runs in there. And you really can't take away that 38 yard play. That was the biggest play from scrimmage for the Bucs and without it, we don't score that first TD. I think the only thing that prevented Cadillac from running for a lot more yards was Gruden deciding to throw the ball so much. Probably was too frustrated with the OL.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #25 : October 16, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »

We had six 3rd down completions in the game, and Grads got two of them in the scoring drives.  Without Grads coming up big on those key plays we wouldn't have scored either.  

I am not sure who deserves the MVP because it was a team effort and no one really stood out IMO.

I say the single most important play came at the end of the game. 4th down 3 yards and we're down by 6 with only second left of the clock. If anything give the award to both Grad and Clayton. Grad for having the moxie to complete the damn pass and Clayton for making a big play to get into the endzone. The D played lights out, Caddy ran strong, but it came down to needinga TD to win and they got it done.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #26 : October 16, 2006, 12:35:29 PM »

It was team effort that won the game. Maybe the defense as a whole deserves to be MVP; but, if we need to single out one player then give it to Clayton because obviously his was the game winning play and the guy can use an accolade about now. Grads will be getting plenty more as the year goes along.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
« #27 : October 16, 2006, 12:37:46 PM »

It was team effort that won the game. Maybe the defense as a whole deserves to be MVP; but, if we need to single out one player then give it to Clayton because obviously his was the game winning play and the guy can use an accolade about now. Grads will be getting plenty more as the year goes along.

I agree.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game MVP? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools