Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Percy already impressing... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#45 : June 03, 2009, 11:05:57 AM

Yes, Bradford and McCoy are sophomores, but they are draft-eligible sophomores. The only draft eligible players for Florida who didn't come out and would have been picked were Tebow, Spikes, Cunningham, and maybe Carl Johnson. Dunlap, Haden, Hernandez, and the Pounceys are non-draft eligible sophomores with great futures ahead of them. You're reaching on these other players. Black is probably just a good college player (think Sam Olajubutu), Moody and Trattou still have a lot to prove, Wright may lose his job this season, Munroe and Cooper are nobodies, and James will be a priority special teams player.

I don't know enough about OU's underclassmen to say who would be picked because they're a mature team stocked with juniors and seniors, but if they had 3 players drafted in 2007, 6 in 2006, and 11 in 2005, it's pretty safe to assume they have some more talent that will develop.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#46 : June 03, 2009, 11:25:21 AM

You're reaching on these other players. Black is probably just a good college player (think Sam Olajubutu)

The only question mark on Black will be his size.  Smarts, speed, intangibles are there.

Moody and Trattou still have a lot to prove

There are many, many unproven players that are selected in the NFL draft, some even in the first round...at pick 17.

Wright may lose his job this season

That speaks to the talent level of his competition, more so than his talent - or lack of it.

Munroe and Cooper are nobodies, and James will be a priority special teams player.

Munroe is only a "nobody" because of his injury last Spring.  Ahmed Black has a name because of Munroe's injury, otherwise Munroe would have been a starting Safety on the National Champion Florida Gators.

I only mentioned Cooper and James as possible late round selections.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#47 : June 03, 2009, 11:38:14 AM

Yes, many players with question marks a year or more out from draft day put it together and show themselves to be good prospects. However since I don't know everything about OU's back up defensive ends, I felt it only fair to stick to players a near certainty to be a 4th round pick or higher in 2009 or 2010.

Anyways, my entry into this topic was based on the premise that Bradford "struggled" versus UF because OU did not have as good of players as UF. Talent-wise, the two teams are a draw at best, with OU having the edge in experience and maturity. Like you, I don't even believe Bradford struggled.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#48 : June 03, 2009, 12:13:37 PM

I was just saying that you can't judge which team had more overall talent based on this year's draft alone.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#49 : June 03, 2009, 12:28:29 PM

I was just saying that you can't judge which team had more overall talent based on this year's draft alone.
My original post was being facetious, anyways.

However, you can't overlook the coaching difference and the ability to make players rise to the occasion. Perhaps the play of the game was Torrey Davis blowing up OU's offensive line on 3rd-and-goal (?) and Davis will likely never make it to a NFL camp. Perhaps the transcendent play of the 2006 BCS game was the helmetless Earl Everett taking down Troy Smith and Everett went undrafted, lasting one training camp.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#50 : June 03, 2009, 06:21:37 PM

There were two plays that stuck out - Davis' and the late incredible interception imvho.  And to judge Bradford harshly is ignoring the obvious

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

LFO

Hall of Famer

#51 : June 03, 2009, 10:41:03 PM

My original post was being facetious, anyways.

However, you can't overlook the coaching difference and the ability to make players rise to the occasion. Perhaps the play of the game was Torrey Davis blowing up OU's offensive line on 3rd-and-goal (?) and Davis will likely never make it to a NFL camp. Perhaps the transcendent play of the 2006 BCS game was the helmetless Earl Everett taking down Troy Smith and Everett went undrafted, lasting one training camp.

Davis has NFL talent, it's his head that is the issue.  He blew it up on 4th and goal, which was a HUGE play.  Perhaps if he doesn't make that play, Black doesn't make the INT at the end of the game as the scenario is different.

Either way, Black made that great pick and was actually in on the 1st pick that Major (i think) ultimately grabbed. 

And for draft comparisons, UF returned their entire 2 deep on defense.  I think it is safe to say of that 2 deep, 8+ will be drafted.

There was/is a LOT of talent on that UF team last year.  Ultimately, there might be 15+ guys drafted off that team last year (not just starters)....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#52 : June 03, 2009, 10:47:24 PM

Here was the item on PFT for it:

Vikings’ Harvin Churning Out Highlights
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 3:33 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings rookie wide receiver Percy Harvin grabbed the spotlight this weekend, turning in a series of acrobatic plays.

As the Vikings concluded a full-team mandatory minicamp today, Harvin skied into the air in the corner of the end zone to haul in a touchdown pass from Sage Rosenfels, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

“Percy is a special athlete,” Rosenfels said. “Not only is he a good receiver, but he’s got a little bit of that tailback in him.”

Per the report, the former University of Florida standout was well-covered on the play.

The early reviews on Harvin, who also ran the Wildcat offense and returned kicks this weekend, have been extremely positive.

“He’s explosive,” linebacker Ben Leber said. “You definitely want to get the ball in his hands.”

Added defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier: “I’m so glad [Harvin] is on our team, so we don’t have to come up with a plan for him because that’s exactly what you end up having to do is game plan a guy like Percy Harvin.”

I think the main thing people are seeing, is that he IS a good WR, not just a RB who can catch bubble screens.  It's not just well he's not in pads...it's his route running and hands...things uninformed people who only watched highlights questioned about him. 

Sure, he can run some...and will...both as a RB and what I like to call "PercyCat"  lol.  But he is also a very good WR with great hands and he can run routes.  IMBO he will be very good, if the QB can get him the ball......if not, he'll just take the snap and do it himself lol.

But I see the potential for Minny to be DANGEROUS with him and AP in the same backfield, whether in the PercyCat or PErcy motioning in...or even on the outside with AP back there. 

It's going to be fun to watch....especially if they get that Favre guy.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Percy already impressing... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools