Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Texans' owner speaks on Carr « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: February 07, 2007, 09:21:20 AM

Feb. 6, 2007, 11:40PM
There's no lock for Carr
Texans owner McNair remains open to QB alternatives

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

David Carr's future with the Texans is in limbo.

Owner Bob McNair was noncommittal about Carr on Tuesday, saying the fifth-year quarterback is being evaluated and that any decision regarding Carr's return next season will depend on what the Texans accomplish in free agency.

"David has been inconsistent, and we've said that," McNair said after attending a Texas Bowl luncheon at the JW Marriott. "We've got to get better consistency there, either with David or some additional help."

McNair has been one of Carr's biggest supporters since the Texans drafted him No. 1 overall before their expansion season in 2002. After five straight losing seasons, including a 6-10 mark in 2006, that support seems to be waning.

McNair has not publicly endorsed Carr in recent months and has declined to speculate on the quarterback's future with the team for the 2007 season.

The Texans exercised a three-year, $8 million option bonus on Carr's contract last February. He will receive base salaries of $5.5 million in 2007 and $6 million in 2008.

McNair did not disclose a timetable for a decision on Carr.

"A lot depends on what the options are," the owner said. "It's not just a question of, 'Are you totally satisfied with the results at that position?' The real question is, 'What can I do to improve myself at that position?' If I'm not in a position to get someone who is better than the person who is in that position, you're going to continue doing what you've been doing."

With the NFL combine approaching at the end of this month and free agency set to begin March 2, McNair said general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak are evaluating the roster.

Asked if he would be willing to take a salary-cap hit by releasing Carr, 27, if a suitable replacement could be found, either through a trade or free agency, McNair said: "We've been willing to do whatever we need to do to win. Really, that hasn't changed."

A possible QB target this offseason might be Jake Plummer, who is under contract with the Denver Broncos. The Broncos might attempt to trade Plummer or waive him, making him an unrestricted free agent. Sage Rosenfels is the Texans' backup quarterback and also could be a candidate to replace Carr.

Carr has seen his popularity ebb after leading the Texans to a 24-56 record in five seasons and after the team opted to bypass hometown favorite Vince Young in last year's draft.

McNair said Tuesday that some of the criticism Carr has received has been unfair and that a major emphasis will be to improve "the supporting cast just as much as we want to improve our play at quarterback." He said wide receiver, running back, defensive tackle, linebacker and safety are areas the team would like to bolster.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4532439.html

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 07, 2007, 09:25:02 AM

Pretty candid on his part. He'll be gone, no question after reading this.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 07, 2007, 09:26:29 AM

...and should we be excited about getting players the Texans don't want?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

FlexXVI

Second String
#3 : February 07, 2007, 09:29:03 AM

. . . we were excited about Buchanan

#4 : February 07, 2007, 09:30:14 AM

I'm torn on the issue but a change of scenery could be what the doctor ordered. He's only 26.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 07, 2007, 09:32:35 AM

BRING IN CARR, for a third of fourth

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 07, 2007, 09:34:28 AM

he would strengthen the back-up situation. I'm not excited but comparing Gradkowski to Carr would put me in that category. Changes of scenery help players alah Joey Harrington. Not that he lit it up but it was much more efficient than what was manufactured in Det.

BP1

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 07, 2007, 09:40:27 AM

. . . we were excited about Buchanan

Wasn't he one of the 1st Rd picks we gave up for Gruden?

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 07, 2007, 09:40:35 AM

i hope and think he will be here, he i sthe best option

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 07, 2007, 10:03:01 AM

he would strengthen the back-up situation. I'm not excited but comparing Gradkowski to Carr would put me in that category. Changes of scenery help players alah Joey Harrington. Not that he lit it up but it was much more efficient than what was manufactured in Det.

This is the level I want him at. He's a good backup plan, and franklyu maybe as good a starting plan as Simms but I think some people see savior.

Harrington in DET 57%, 12 TD, 12 INT, Harrington in MIA 57% 12 TD, 15 INT. Same guy.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 07, 2007, 10:06:53 AM

Harrington in DET 57%, 12 TD, 12 INT, Harrington in MIA 57% 12 TD, 15 INT. Same guy.

damn, it seemed like he was playing better. Maybe it was the Turkey game where he played fairly efficient, for him.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 07, 2007, 10:14:57 AM

He started out pretty well and then tailed off...he did the SoB thing.

#12 : February 07, 2007, 10:27:59 AM

I would like to see Carr here with the understanding he is here to compete.  I think he may do better as our O-line is better (I hope) than the Texans.  With a little more time in the pocket, I see him as a better passer.  I saw his as more of the chuck and duck (or get creamed) type QB with Houston.  Bring him in!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 07, 2007, 10:30:02 AM

Trent Dilfer in Tampa (1999) 59%, 11 TD, 11 INT.
Trent Dilfer in Baltimore (2000) 59%, 12 TD, 11 INT.

The only thing that made him look better was the SB win.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 07, 2007, 10:31:35 AM

Trent Dilfer in Tampa (1999) 59%, 11 TD, 11 INT.
Trent Dilfer in Baltimore (2000) 59%, 12 TD, 11 INT.

The only thing that made him look better was the SB win.

The only thing that made him look better was that ridiculous defense.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Texans' owner speaks on Carr « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools