Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

: June 10, 2009, 09:34:07 AM

I am speaking of 50s through 70's music to those Buc fans that are of "the correct age" to have enjoyed this era of music.  Even some of the "younger" folks actually DO prefer this music to some of the more current stuff.

If you are a person who loves this music, stand up and be heard!! ;D

By the way, for those that don't care for it, no need to respond with any juvenilistic remarks/comments.  You can move on because this thread ain't for you.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 10, 2009, 09:43:36 AM

Dont enjoy the "pop" genre in any era. But 60's and 70's rock is the main stuff I listen to. Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep, The Stones, Eric Clapton, are some of my favorite artists.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

#2 : June 10, 2009, 09:49:15 AM

swash

Nice lineup you have listed.  What is extremely interesting about most artists is how they started in the business and how they evolved from other well-known bands/groups.  Classic example would be Clapton.  Any true/hardcore Clapton fan knows that he was with such 60's supergroups as The Yardbirds (British Invasion group) and Cream.  He was also "cleverly disguised" as Derek of "Derek and The Dominoes" with the song Layla.  Clapton is a legend.  And speaking of the Yardbirds, Jimmy Page of Zep had a stint with them as well.

Dash Riprock

Starter

#3 : June 10, 2009, 09:56:50 AM

If I remember correctly Jimmy page also did session work for the Monkees

Stratobuc

Starter
#4 : June 10, 2009, 11:58:02 AM

If I remember correctly Jimmy page also did session work for the Monkees

Jimmy Page did session work for artists on the Atlantic, Decca, and other record labels. The Monkees were not among them, as they recorded for Capitol. Tommy Tedesco and Glen Cambell are two famous session aces known to have played on Monkees records. Jimmy Page did play on sessions for Donovan, The Kinks, Jackie DeShannon and countless others.

As long as you're mentioning the Yardbirds, you might bring up the best guitarist they ever had - Jeff Beck.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 10, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

swash

Nice lineup you have listed.  What is extremely interesting about most artists is how they started in the business and how they evolved from other well-known bands/groups.  Classic example would be Clapton.  Any true/hardcore Clapton fan knows that he was with such 60's supergroups as The Yardbirds (British Invasion group) and Cream.  He was also "cleverly disguised" as Derek of "Derek and The Dominoes" with the song Layla.  Clapton is a legend.  And speaking of the Yardbirds, Jimmy Page of Zep had a stint with them as well.

Yeah i'm well versed on Clapton's history. His autobiography is really interesting I suggest it if you love his stuff like me.

#6 : June 10, 2009, 12:02:38 PM

Strato

Spot on regarding Beck.  Frankly, the Yardbirds were truly one of the best acts to come out of the UK....and were well ahead of their time with their sounds.  The tune "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" was likely 10-15 years ahead of its time.  The Yarbirds indeed sported a superstar lineup.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 10, 2009, 12:06:25 PM

My favorite Yardbirds song :

#8 : June 10, 2009, 04:06:23 PM

I have a vast collection of 50's through 90's in MP3 format.

Interested persons should send a PM.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 10, 2009, 09:21:04 PM

I am speaking of 50s through 70's music to those Buc fans that are of "the correct age" to have enjoyed this era of music.  Even some of the "younger" folks actually DO prefer this music to some of the more current stuff.

If you are a person who loves this music, stand up and be heard!! ;D

By the way, for those that don't care for it, no need to respond with any juvenilistic remarks/comments.  You can move on because this thread ain't for you.

Toss me some rock-a-billy:
Buddy Holly
Carl Perkins
Jerry Lee Lewis
Gene Vincent
Elvis Presley
Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio
Bill Haley and the Saddlemen/ the Comets

...and I'm a happy man.

Among the best live shows I've seen was a great Chuck Berry and Little Richard show. "Johnny B Goode" remains the single most perfect rock n' roll song in history.

Not sure if you count Joe Turner and his Blues Kings  (Shake, Rattle and Roll) as oldies in the rock sense. Same with Lloyd Price and "Stagger Lee"

I really prefer the old pre-British Invasion Rock to the post-invasion stuff.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 10, 2009, 09:56:47 PM

Love music & certain artists from every era and generation from the 50's to 2009.

#11 : June 10, 2009, 10:44:12 PM

I have a wide variety of music interests....all the way from Dal's list through most of the early 90's.  The rap that deals with the extreme violence or that is simply littered with vulgarity hardly classifies as music to me and I can do without that crap.

I lived through the British Invasion and found the "new style" at the time refreshing.  But there were a ton of great American bands during the Invasion as well, especially the garage bands like Shadows of Knight, The Seeds, to name a couple.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 11, 2009, 12:26:35 AM

I have a wide variety of music interests....all the way from Dal's list through most of the early 90's. The rap that deals with the extreme violence or that is simply littered with vulgarity hardly classifies as music to me and I can do without that crap.

I lived through the British Invasion and found the "new style" at the time refreshing. But there were a ton of great American bands during the Invasion as well, especially the garage bands like Shadows of Knight, The Seeds, to name a couple.

I love some rap music as long as it's old school like Tupac, Run DMC, Biggie, Beastie Boys, etc; but 99% of today's rap music is babbling garbage that has no meaning and serves no purpose.

BucsnBoltsFan

Starter
#13 : June 11, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

My music scares people : well some of it lol. You can't beat some Tupac, Big, Run DMC though.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#14 : June 11, 2009, 05:51:30 AM

discovered Little Feat a few weeks ago.  Previously I had only knew their song Dixie Chicken.  Great band out of the 70's.  Loose but tight.  Interesting enough the band's origins grew out of Zappa's MOI.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools