Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 11, 2009, 08:49:54 AM

discovered Little Feat a few weeks ago.  Previously I had only knew their song Dixie Chicken.  Great band out of the 70's.  Loose but tight.  Interesting enough the band's origins grew out of Zappa's MOI.

Little feet are still around if I am not mistaken.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#16 : June 11, 2009, 10:53:18 AM

If I remember correctly Jimmy page also did session work for the Monkees

Jimmy Page did session work for artists on the Atlantic, Decca, and other record labels. The Monkees were not among them, as they recorded for Capitol. Tommy Tedesco and Glen Cambell are two famous session aces known to have played on Monkees records. Jimmy Page did play on sessions for Donovan, The Kinks, Jackie DeShannon and countless others.

As long as you're mentioning the Yardbirds, you might bring up the best guitarist they ever had - Jeff Beck.

The Monkees were on the Colgems record label, which was a joint venture between Columbia-Screen Gems and RCA, not Capitol,...Capitol had this little group called the BEATLES!

#17 : June 11, 2009, 11:29:45 AM

Can anyone name all the labels the Beatles recorded on??

biffbeaumont

Starter

#18 : June 11, 2009, 11:34:59 AM

They were only officially on  EMI...Capitol released their music stateside after first refusing to release their music, thus the early singles were farmed out  to no name labels thus, the slight confusion.  Here's the official list.....even though they started their own label, Apple, it was distributed by EMI and Capitol

EMI
Parlophone
Capitol
Odeon
Apple
Vee-Jay
Polydor
Swan
Tollie
United Artists Records,

#19 : June 11, 2009, 11:44:00 AM

Good job biff.

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#20 : June 11, 2009, 11:44:20 AM

The 70s gave us Disco Duck!

Early Van Halen was late 70s and def. one of my all-time faves.  

biffbeaumont

Starter

#21 : June 11, 2009, 11:50:51 AM

Good job biff.

Thanks. Aside from being a nightclub musician for the past 16 years, I researched and listened to music, specifically Pop/Rock music for over 30 years. Martika, that's a great reference! That song , Toy Soldiers, came out in 1989. I was 19 yrs old.....good times....

#22 : June 11, 2009, 12:17:59 PM

Martika is a real talented singer.....have you heard her rendition of Carole King's classic "I Feel the Earth Move"?  Excellent arrangement and performance on it.

As for Toy Soldiers, her live version in Spanish is equally as moving as the original.  She also did a Japanese versioon of the song.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler

#23 : June 11, 2009, 12:27:11 PM

Buffalo Springfield, Robin Trower, Grand Funk Railroad (early years) and of course Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

biffbeaumont

Starter

#24 : June 11, 2009, 12:36:35 PM

Buffalo Springfield, Robin Trower, Grand Funk Railroad (early years) and of course Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

I love "Apostrophe"... and 'Sheik Yurbouti" by Zappa.....Zappa was a brilliant composer, and and even better guitar player! Absolutely amazing on guitar. I read his auto-biography years ago. Funny as hell!

Stratobuc

Starter
#25 : June 11, 2009, 12:51:52 PM

If I remember correctly Jimmy page also did session work for the Monkees

Jimmy Page did session work for artists on the Atlantic, Decca, and other record labels. The Monkees were not among them, as they recorded for Capitol. Tommy Tedesco and Glen Cambell are two famous session aces known to have played on Monkees records. Jimmy Page did play on sessions for Donovan, The Kinks, Jackie DeShannon and countless others.

As long as you're mentioning the Yardbirds, you might bring up the best guitarist they ever had - Jeff Beck.

The Monkees were on the Colgems record label, which was a joint venture between Columbia-Screen Gems and RCA, not Capitol,...Capitol had this little group called the BEATLES!

Capitol also had this little guy called Frank Sinatra, and another little group called THE BEACH BOYS who recorded with Tedesco and Cambell on guitar.

I had the privilege of speaking with Tommy Tedesco personally about his session work with the Monkees, Sinatra, Beach Boys, and many others. He was the most recorded guitarist in history.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. How's my session players?

Stratobuc

Starter
#26 : June 11, 2009, 12:58:35 PM

Good job biff.

Thanks. Aside from being a nightclub musician for the past 16 years, I researched and listened to music, specifically Pop/Rock music for over 30 years. Martika, that's a great reference! That song , Toy Soldiers, came out in 1989. I was 19 yrs old.....good times....

Why don't you tell us where you're playing? I've been playing for thirty-one years (professionally) - and I'd like to invite everyone to come out and heckle me.

I'm at Gulfport On the Rocks tonight - 9:30 / 1:30.

There's no cover charge - and if you like 60's, 70's, etc. - that's what we do.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#27 : June 11, 2009, 01:45:27 PM

Good job biff.

Why don't you tell us where you're playing? I've been playing for thirty-one years (professionally) - and I'd like to invite everyone to come out and heckle me.

I'm at Gulfport On the Rocks tonight - 9:30 / 1:30.

There's no cover charge - and if you like 60's, 70's, etc. - that's what we do.
I've been playing this area since 1993., most notably with a band called '606' from 1993-2002 and have been playing solo and with my duo since then, usually at all the Green Iguanas....Friday I'll be at Cha Cha Coconuts in St Pete Pier 7-11 and Sat at Gilligans on Siesta Key in Sarasota 6pm-10pm.....here's my Myspace with my originals and schedule....go ahead and heckle

http://www.myspace.com/davidjpotts

Stratobuc

Starter
#28 : June 11, 2009, 01:49:24 PM

Do you do the Guitareoke thing with the backing tracks?

I never said I would heckle you....... my - you musical types are.....sensitive.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#29 : June 11, 2009, 02:04:37 PM

Do you do the Guitareoke thing with the backing tracks?

I never said I would heckle you....... my - you musical types are.....sensitive.

Nah...I just sing and play my Takamine acoustic guitar straight thru my mixer and PA..... no backing tracks....and I was kidding about the heckling...
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools