Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Stratobuc

Starter
#30 : June 11, 2009, 02:11:21 PM

I went to your page, and you have some good songs. I totally respect guys that play without those cheesy backing tracks. Thanks - I'd come out to the Pier but I have a rehearsal with a side project. Hope to catch you in St. Pete some time. Keep the faith!

biffbeaumont

Starter

#31 : June 11, 2009, 02:23:29 PM

I went to your page, and you have some good songs. I totally respect guys that play without those cheesy backing tracks. Thanks - I'd come out to the Pier but I have a rehearsal with a side project. Hope to catch you in St. Pete some time. Keep the faith!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't know how people do it w/backing tracks....I've always thought it sounded so lame. I play the guitar with a lot of rhythm because I started out as a drummer and also play bass... (played all the instruments on the Myspace songs), so I can fill a lot of space. Most of the solo guys I've seen that play the same places I do also play with no backing tracks.....what's the name of the band you play with? I'll come out sometime.......

Stratobuc

Starter
#32 : June 11, 2009, 03:47:06 PM

I'm with the Juke Joint Gypsies, and right now we're the Thurs. House band at Gulfport On the Rocks. I'm playing bass in a side project, bookings tba. We'd love to have anyone from here come out - first beer is on me!  8)

We have a fantastic B3 player as well.

#33 : June 11, 2009, 04:13:32 PM

The evolution of many bands, old and new alike, is interesting.  And regardless of genre, it is always cool to see where performers came from.

I could blur and boggle the minds with rock music trivia, particularly from the 60's and 70's era.

Stratobuc

Starter
#34 : June 11, 2009, 04:52:04 PM

Thirteenth Floor Elevators.....

And no fair Wikipedia-ing.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 11, 2009, 05:07:21 PM

I could blur and boggle the minds with rock music trivia, particularly from the 60's and 70's era.

lol

and I am the same but with the 70's and 80's music...

you know what kills me, when I hear people call music from the 80's, OLDIES...

I still consider 50's and early 60's oldies, haven't even accepted that the 70's are considered oldies, much less 80's music...

*nervous laugh*

I'm a metal head by trade (still enjoy the hell out of 80's metal), but really enjoy the pop 70's tunes I grew up with in Junior high...  All those wonderful one-hit wonders...

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 11, 2009, 05:18:39 PM

lol

I still consider 50's and early 60's oldies, haven't even accepted that the 70's are considered oldies, much less 80's music...

*nervous laugh*

I'm a metal head by trade (still enjoy the hell out of 80's metal), but really enjoy the pop 70's tunes I grew up with in Junior high...  All those wonderful one-hit wonders...

To me the 80's were a very dark age for music. Everything either sounded like Poison or the Ghostbusters soundtrack.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#37 : June 11, 2009, 05:21:36 PM

lol

*nervous laugh*

To me the 80's were a very dark age for music. Everything either sounded like Poison or the Ghostbusters soundtrack.

how old were you in the 80's? It was a great time for the most part. Yes, there was crap, but that's the same in any era.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : June 11, 2009, 06:56:37 PM

discovered Little Feat a few weeks ago.� Previously I had only knew their song Dixie Chicken.� Great band out of the 70's. Loose but tight. Interesting enough the band's origins grew out of Zappa's MOI.

Little feet are still around if I am not mistaken.

a version of it is.  Bill Payne and Paul Barrere are still there and they aren't bad but Lowell George was the leader/founder of the band and he was a fatal victim of the R&R lifestyle in 79.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#39 : June 11, 2009, 10:08:08 PM

Lately I have gone back to bumpin some Pearl Jam in my car, and their CD "10" is definitely a classic and good stuff!

biffbeaumont

Starter

#40 : June 11, 2009, 10:26:16 PM

Lately I have gone back to bumpin some Pearl Jam in my car, and their CD "10" is definitely a classic and good stuff!

"10" is a great album! I remember working at Spec's ( now defunct ) in Sarasota and we had one copy of the album..a guy came in from the west coast and said..."these guys are gonna be huge".....I was like ya, whatever...a month later we were getting boxes of the cd and we couldn't keep it in stock!!! This was 1993 folks...

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 11, 2009, 10:49:16 PM

"10" is a great album! I remember working at Spec's ( now defunct ) in Sarasota and we had one copy of the album..a guy came in from the west coast and said..."these guys are gonna be huge".....I was like ya, whatever...a month later we were getting boxes of the cd and we couldn't keep it in stock!!! This was 1993 folks...

It produced two #1's and 4 top ten hits overall from the same CD I believe!

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 11, 2009, 10:57:18 PM

If Pearl Jam is oldies I must be getting old.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 12, 2009, 12:28:37 AM

That Pearl Jam cd came out in 1992 I believe which is now what - 17 years ago. That is not ancient but is a little bit old if you think about it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 12, 2009, 01:22:31 AM

That Pearl Jam cd came out in 1992 I believe which is now what - 17 years ago. That is not ancient but is a little bit old if you think about it.

Well in 1987 I think that the Beatles were safely on the "oldies" stations and they were 17 years old at the time.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Oldies" Music « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools