Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Bucs kicking situation will be a battle « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: June 10, 2009, 05:56:32 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

There were a lot of raised eyebrows when the Bucs signed free-agent kicker Mike Nugent earlier this offseason. Tampa Bay already had one of the league's top kickers in Matt Bryant, so why did they need another guy?

The Bucs have said all along they're trying to create competition at all positions. Take them at their word on this. Bryant, who showed up Tuesday after missing much of the offseason, said he's ready for a battle in training camp.

This battle could turn out to be very interesting. On the surface, it may look like the Bucs want Nugent to win the job since they gave him a $2.4 million contract. That's basically double what Bryant is scheduled to make. But you have to look at the details of Nugent's contract to really understand this situation.

None of Nugent's money is guaranteed and the Bucs could be off the hook for the entire amount if they release Nugent. The guess here is that the Bucs brought in Nugent to push Bryant a bit. But they'd be delighted if Bryant rose to the challenge and won the job in camp.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-45/Shedding-light-on-Bucs--kicker-situation.html

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 10, 2009, 06:17:24 PM

seeing how we lost 4 in a row to end the season while many thought we'd be playing to position ourselves in the postseason seedings, the fact that Gruden and Allen were canned, and the fact that we saw all of our veterans over the age Raheem Morris, with exception to Ronde, cut....I would not raise an eyebrow to us bringing in Nugent...

I guess it sounds good on paper so Pat wrote it lol.

And not that it matters, but Bryant missed crucial field goals in the Dallas and Atlanta games.  They were 50 plus yarders, but he couldnt make one all season.

Not saying Nugent is the answer, but a 53 yard field goal shouldn't be out of question.  Not a piece of cake, but not impossible either. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 10, 2009, 06:41:13 PM

That darn yankshisweenie is all over the team - what an insight.  He is the best

Sarcasm meter is over the top...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 10, 2009, 08:43:15 PM

The more competition the better. We all witnessed Gramatica go from pro bowler to pro dud in a flash. Kickers are fickle.

#4 : June 10, 2009, 09:21:16 PM

whichever kicker can get it past the opposign 30 yard line on kick offs is who we shoudl go with.  Bryant gave up good field position too many times.   the field goal kicking is even, so it comes down to kickoffs

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 10, 2009, 09:25:13 PM

Who was shocked when the Bucs brought in a kicker to battle with Bryant?  Bryant may have been fairly accurate but the team could not even try a FG over 45 yards.  We need a bigger leg for FG's and kickoffs!  I do not even think this will be much of a battle unless Nugent can not get back to 100%.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 10, 2009, 09:26:09 PM

I can't stand this reporter, he either states the obvious or has absolutely no clue what he talking about.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 10, 2009, 09:35:48 PM

I can't stand this reporter, he either states the obvious or has absolutely no clue what he talking about.

He's in charge of reporting on the whole NFC South for ESPN and the dude lives here in Tampa. I think he has it out for the Bucs because they don't kiss his butt every time he comes around to practice.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 10, 2009, 10:52:21 PM

The more competition the better.

Here, here.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Q

Pro Bowler

#9 : June 10, 2009, 10:44:12 PM

Nugent got the better leg and younger....He be the Bucs kicker this year.
The Bucs need longer kickoffs and Nugent will give them that.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 11, 2009, 02:01:56 PM

Where?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Bucs kicking situation will be a battle « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools