Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tide Hit Hard « previous next »
Page: 1 2

biffbeaumont

Starter

#15 : June 11, 2009, 08:09:47 PM

Finally found a complete story on it from all places....freaking AP....

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP)—The NCAA placed Alabama’s football program and 15 other of the school’s athletic teams on three years’ probation for major violations due to misuse of free textbooks, stripping the Crimson Tide of 21 football wins over a three-year period.

The NCAA said 201 athletes in 16 sports obtained “impermissible benefits” by using their scholarships to obtain free textbooks for other students. Alabama identified 22 athletes, including seven football players, as “intentional wrongdoers” who knew they were receiving improper benefits.

As a result, the NCAA ruled the football team must vacate any wins in which any of those seven players took part during 2005-07. Alabama said that pending a successful appeal, the decision would cost the program 21 wins, including the 2005 Cotton Bowl victory over Texas Tech and an upset of Florida earlier that season.

Eight of the wins using ineligible players occurred in 2005, Mike Shula’s best season as coach.

Neither the football team nor any other sport lost postseason eligibility or scholarships.

“The penalty itself is not one that’s directed at the coach,” said Paul Dee, who chairs the committee on infractions and is a former University of Miami athletic director. “It’s one that involves the team. It’s one that involves the players and we believe it’s the appropriate penalty under these circumstance.”

So Roll Tide...just not with textbooks.....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 11, 2009, 08:11:36 PM

people act surprised? This is happening at every SEC school and big conference

Snook

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 12, 2009, 10:19:48 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9669146/NCAA-places-Alabama-football-program-on-probation

Alabama identified 22 of the student-athletes as "intentional wrongdoers" who knew they were receiving improper benefits. Fifteen were members of the women's track and field programs who acquired textbooks and materials of value greater than $100 for girlfriends, friends and other student-athletes. The four biggest offenders in dollar value were football players, who received from $2,714 to $3,947 in improper benefits.

So a football program that was already on probation with 11 MAJOR violations including improper benefits to players has FOUR football players receive an average of $3000 apiece and vacating wins is the only punishment for the program?

Riiiiiiight...

I'd LOVE to hear the NCAA's explanation as to why there is no other punishment.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 12, 2009, 11:20:12 AM

I'd LOVE to hear the NCAA's explanation as to why there is no other punishment.

There is one more part to the punishment. The University will now have to have someone present when student-athletes pick up there books and supplies. Basically they have to have a babysitter go with them to the bookstore.

The NCAA did say because 'Bama self reported this and quickly moved to correct the situation (including suspending some of the football players involved) and because most of the violations happened under a different HC, the punishment was appropriate.

I think the NCAA doesn't really have a plan. I think they are just making up the rules as they go.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 12, 2009, 11:36:40 AM

Its hard to believe but I think the NCAA is more corrupt than our government.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#20 : June 18, 2009, 08:42:35 AM

Its hard to believe but I think the NCAA is more corrupt than our government.

I agree vacating wins are a joke IMO. The games were already played rivals already talked smack after the wins . Can't help to recall they tried to shut UM down over pell grants by taking away numerous scholarships. And we still came back and won a NC and won 34 games in a row. But i guess cheating scandels are'nt as bad as pell grants.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tide Hit Hard « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools