Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tide Hit Hard « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: June 11, 2009, 11:39:53 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4250596

The NCAA will reveal later Thursday that the Alabama football program must vacate victories from 2005 through 2007 that included players who improperly got free textbooks for other students, the Birmingham News is reporting.

Alabama could be forced to vacate as many as 21 wins under the watch of former coach Mike Shula and current coach Nick Saban, sources at the university told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach. Citing a source, the News reported the number of wins to be at least 10.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 11, 2009, 11:56:33 AM

this vacating of wins thing is out of control

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 11, 2009, 12:20:45 PM

this vacating of wins thing is out of control

Agreed ..... vacating wins should result from some serious violations .... NCAA is clueless.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 11, 2009, 04:33:28 PM

All while USC's football and basketball programs have their scandals swept under the rug...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 11, 2009, 01:07:33 PM

This is all over athletes getting free textbooks and giving them to friends/other students. I am shocked and appalled. How dare these "thugs" give textbooks to other students to read and learn. How dare they pimp education and learning to innocent youths.

I mean, if they were caught with drugs or guns, or stole from Dilliards, or used a deceased person's credit card, that's all minor. But distributing textbooks, that deserves the death penalty.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 11, 2009, 04:31:42 PM

So let me get this straight...

Alabama was put on 5 year probation in 2002 for 11 major violations.

Then they broke MORE NCAA rules while on probation (2002 +5 years probation = 2007)?

Even if its something as simple as free textbooks, its still a violation of NCAA rules.... WHILE currently on probation.

And all they get is vacated wins?

Really?!?!?  More hypocrisy the NCAA...

biffbeaumont

Starter

#6 : June 11, 2009, 04:47:36 PM

All I can say is as an Alabama Fan and former resident of Birmingham....I'M PISSED!!!! WTF? ???  I was so looking forward to this season......damn.....

Snook

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 11, 2009, 04:49:19 PM

All I can say is as an Alabama Fan and former resident of Birmingham....I'M PISSED!!!! what? ???  I was so looking forward to this season......damn.....

How does this change Bama's 2009 season?

It doesn't.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#8 : June 11, 2009, 05:18:37 PM

All I can say is as an Alabama Fan and former resident of Birmingham....I'M PISSED!!!! what? ???  I was so looking forward to this season......damn.....

How does this change Bama's 2009 season?

It doesn't.

Can they still play in a Bowl?  I thought when Auburn was on probation a few yrs ago they couldn't...... help me out here...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 11, 2009, 05:24:26 PM

All while USC's football and basketball programs have their scandals swept under the rug...

That's who i was thinking of when I posted originally .... The textbook crap is minimal compared to USC.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#10 : June 11, 2009, 06:00:07 PM

I've researched it and as far as I can tell they cannot go to a bowl....so it does affect this season....which, as I stated earlier, sucks! If I'm wrong please let me know and give me the source of information....

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 11, 2009, 06:14:03 PM

I've researched it and as far as I can tell they cannot go to a bowl....so it does affect this season....which, as I stated earlier, sucks! If I'm wrong please let me know and give me the source of information....

read the link in the OP ... no mention of ban from postseason ...

biffbeaumont

Starter

#12 : June 11, 2009, 06:20:52 PM

read the link in the OP ... no mention of ban from postseason ...

I did......it states they are on probation for 3 years.....aside from the victories being taken away, what other penalty could result from 3 yrs of probation??

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 11, 2009, 06:54:48 PM

No scholarships lost and no post season bans. Just a fine $43,900 (WOW, that could cripple Bama) and "vacated wins".

In other news, the NCAA when asked about OJ Mayo said "who, what, never heard of him"

biffbeaumont

Starter

#14 : June 11, 2009, 07:25:30 PM

No scholarships lost and no post season bans. Just a fine $43,900 (WOW, that could cripple Bama) and "vacated wins".

In other news, the NCAA when asked about OJ Mayo said "who, what, never heard of him"

Thanks JG!   Mayo, ya, that' s a good one....sheesh....I'm not sure I have all the details but this probation is a result of freaking textbooks??? No recruiting violations? No tricked out SUV's, cars....etc??? TEXTBOOKS????? What the hell? They want these kids to 'get an education' and not just concentrate on their respective sport and then this is somehow a violation? I'm sure somewhere it is in the rules ...but sheesh....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tide Hit Hard « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools