Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« : February 07, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »

Last years starting QB Simms was by far horrific.
We must not forget all those batted balls and three and out.
For me it was obvious when I watched Sims live and on TV where and when he was going to throw the ball.
Sims has this system he had before he released the ball.
Step 1. he brings back the shoulder
Step 2. he does a ½ skip forward
Step 3. he plants the front foot
Step 4. he throws the ball.

Step 5 the lineman given the 5 tenths of a second to adjust to Simms throw Blocks the pass.

Remember these passes were not just tipped they were blocked and mulled at a rate never seen before in the NFL.

This is a habit of Sims that needs to be fixed through coaching.

The real question is why did our coaches not see this problem because obviously all the other teams defensive coaches have and they game plan for it.

If Sims can’t throw the ball accurately without a wind up then he is not a starting QB for this team 

gone

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 07, 2007, 12:53:08 PM »

It's taken Chris a long time to work out his issues here.  Years for the center snap.  Same with his footwork, it took him forever to get that little hop out of it when he comes out from under center.  I'm sure they've been working on his release.  We all know his motions is too long and slow, and you didn't even mention all the other things wrong with it (patting, low release point, exceptionally wide stance).  Or the staring down of recievers, which is a coaching issue too.  If we can see it, so can they.  But the guy doesn't take coaching well/quickly.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 07, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »

If Sims can’t throw the ball accurately without a wind up then he is not a starting QB for this team

unless Gruden tweeks his offense a little. As Gruden said before, you HAVE to throw 3-steps in this league, it's imperative. It wasn't an issue last year until the Skins playoff game. That's where the blueprint was laid and translated into the first few games.

He can overcome it, but he's got that Byron leftwich type throwing motion.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 07, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »

It isn't the offense keepon - except for Pittsburgh and New England, about everyone uses a lot of three step drops.  The player has to master the techique.  I think he can - but it is on him.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 07, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »

It isn't the offense keepon - except for Pittsburgh and New England, about everyone uses a lot of three step drops.  The player has to master the techique.  I think he can - but it is on him.

I'm with you. What Gruden said stuck with me, "you have to throw a 3-step in this league." What I meant by tweek was possibly throw in shotgun to give Simms a little bit more room for those type of throws.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 07, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »

It is just that keepon - Simms has the ability, now he has to show the technique and skill to be productive in this league.  Regardless of the offense.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 07, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »

unless Gruden tweeks his offense a little. As Gruden said before, you HAVE to throw 3-steps in this league, it's imperative. It wasn't an issue last year until the Skins playoff game. That's where the blueprint was laid and translated into the first few games.

He can overcome it, but he's got that Byron leftwich type throwing motion.
It takes Leftwich a decade to get the ball out after he starts his motion. I wonder why he doesn't have so many damn batted passes ???

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #7 : February 07, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »

Higher release point -- better ability to read the lanes.

For Simms to be successful Gruden will have to change the offense a little. Maybe put him back in a shotgun at times with quick slants. Also roll him out more. I think Simms alo take some time to get use to the speed of the game. We saw it in his good year. His 1st two to three games were sketchy then as well. Gruden needs to play hiom alot in the preseason and against the first teams for longer.

We also need to teach  our OL to knock the crap out of the opposing DL's ribs when they reach up to block a pass. A few good shots to the ribs and they will think twice before getting their hands up so quick. The Ol also needs to push the DL back and give Simms room. Alot of those passes tipped and blocked were due to piss porr pass protection where the pocket was collapsing and guys getting their hands up as well.

A combination of teaching Simms better mechanics, getting him to release higher, better identification of his thowing lanes and looking off receivers should help. Couple that with rolling him out more, implementing a shotgun at times, and getting the OL to perform better and Simm's play should greatly improve.

I mean how the hell could it get any worse than it did last year. I mean his best game was with half his circulating blood volume in his belly.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 07, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

Messing with mechanics never really seems to work. It makes guys think too much when they throw rather than just being natural. I still think a lot of the damage to Dilfer was Wyche deconstructing his throwing motion.

Simms has to see throwing lanes better and not lock on guys as much. Gruden has to adapt to a player that is better on deeper drops though. Forcing him to run such a  heavy diet of 3 step drops would be as dumb as asking Gradkowski to throw a lot of deep passes in a blowing gale and no one is that....oh wait, never mind.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 07, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »

It takes Leftwich a decade to get the ball out after he starts his motion. I wonder why he doesn't have so many damn batted passes ???

Have you ever seen Leftwich play? Dude has an issue with batted balls.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 07, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »

Simms has a few deficiencies, from what I've been able to determine: 1) his apparently slow decision making process; 2) his inability to absorb as much of the offense as his coaches want; and 3) his whipsaw throwing motion.

Physically, the guy has the arm and the size and the toughness. If he's the QB of the future here, then he's got to overcome at least a couple of those other things, and that won't be very easy.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 07, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »

Simms has a few deficiencies, from what I've been able to determine: 1) his apparently slow decision making process; 2) his inability to absorb as much of the offense as his coaches want; and 3) his whipsaw throwing motion.

I agree but think #1 is the biggest issue with Simms.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 07, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »

Combine #1 and #2 and you have "Not very smart QB" which doesn't sound like " the future".

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

« #13 : February 07, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »

I don't mean to be a jerk here but, holy crap at the title of this thing:

Sims pathetic start Do to Coaching or abiliity?

More like:
Simms' pathetic start due to coaching or ability?

Seriously why did you capitalize random words?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 07, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »

Combine #1 and #2 and you have "Not very smart QB" which doesn't sound like " the future".

exactly.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools