Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#15 : February 07, 2007, 03:38:24 PM

maybe we should consider Brady Quinn and settle the QB for the next 10 years

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 07, 2007, 03:50:13 PM

maybe we should consider Brady Quinn and settle the QB for the next 10 years

That very thing may happen.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#17 : February 07, 2007, 05:10:05 PM

"maybe we should consider Akili Smith and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Bengals fan circa 1999
"maybe we should consider Cade McNown and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Bears fan circa 1999
"maybe we should consider Ryan Leaf and settle the QB for the next 10 years"....unknown Chargers fan circa 1998
"maybe we should consider Rick Mirer and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Seashawks fan circa 1993
"maybe we should consider Todd Blackledge and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Chiefs fan circa 1983

I'll pass thanks.

coolhandluke

Starter

#18 : February 07, 2007, 05:14:55 PM

Simms was pathetic at TEXAS!!! Come on he couldnt close the deal in College what makes you think he can do it here!!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#19 : February 07, 2007, 05:22:06 PM

Quinn was pathetic at Notre Dame!!! Come on he couldnt close the deal in College what makes you think he can do it here!!

I agree. That Michigan game was a real let down wasn't it? I guess he folded under the pressure of being ranked so high.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 07, 2007, 05:30:05 PM

At least he was never replace by Major Applewhite.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 07, 2007, 06:15:41 PM

It takes Leftwich a decade to get the ball out after he starts his motion. I wonder why he doesn't have so many damn batted passes ???

Have you ever seen Leftwich play? Dude has an issue with batted balls.
No I've never seen Leftwich play........ Does he play for the Yankees??  ::)

Simms' batted/tipped at the line passes were as big an issue as any other deficiency that this team displayed in the first few games this season. I could be mistaken, but I don't think that any of Leftwich's batted pass "issues" have been as craptacularly obvious as the SoP batted ball poopfest we all ended up witnessing.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 07, 2007, 07:23:11 PM

Last years starting QB Simms was by far horrific.
We must not forget all those batted balls and three and out.
For me it was obvious when I watched Sims live and on TV where and when he was going to throw the ball.
Sims has this system he had before he released the ball.
Step 1. he brings back the shoulder
Step 2. he does a ½ skip forward
Step 3. he plants the front foot
Step 4. he throws the ball.

Step 5 the lineman given the 5 tenths of a second to adjust to Simms throw Blocks the pass.

Remember these passes were not just tipped they were blocked and mulled at a rate never seen before in the NFL.

This is a habit of Sims that needs to be fixed through coaching.

The real question is why did our coaches not see this problem because obviously all the other teams defensive coaches have and they game plan for it.

If Sims can’t throw the ball accurately without a wind up then he is not a starting QB for this team 

Simms has several problems.  His biggest issue his mental abililty to play the game at the pro level.  He really is bad at reding defenses.  I didnt realize how bad until this season.  He also had wrs that were dropping way too many passes. He also was behind a bad o-line that did not protect him worth a darn. Then you have Gruden who was not calling the smartest plays.  Simms can be pretty mobile and I think calling plays to either side vs in the pocket could have worked to his advantage.  He could have used the shotgun or taken long drops.  I didnt understand if Simms was getting 3-step passes batted down, why does he constantly call them? The other qbs werent having 3 step drops every down. NOthing was going in Simms' favor and his teammates and coach were not helping him at all.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 07, 2007, 07:33:31 PM

"maybe we should consider Akili Smith and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Bengals fan circa 1999
"maybe we should consider Cade McNown and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Bears fan circa 1999
"maybe we should consider Ryan Leaf and settle the QB for the next 10 years"....unknown Chargers fan circa 1998
"maybe we should consider Rick Mirer and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Seashawks fan circa 1993
"maybe we should consider Todd Blackledge and settle the QB for the next 10 years".....unknown Chiefs fan circa 1983

I'll pass thanks.
"Shaun King- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 1999
"Chris Simms- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 2005
"Bruce Gradkowski- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 2006

It's gotta end sometime, right???

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

#24 : February 07, 2007, 07:34:17 PM

I'll pass thanks.
"Shaun King- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 1999
"Chris Simms- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 2005
"Bruce Gradkowski- QB for the next 10 years"- many KNOWN Bucs fans 2006

It's gotta end sometime, right???
True...add Dilfer to that list as well.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 07, 2007, 07:57:44 PM

It will be up to Gruden to make the adjustments to minimize Simms' weaknesses.  Simms may improve marginally, but when they resigned him they had to say "Hey we can make the adjustments to make him successful."  They wouldn't have put their eggs in Simms' basket because they are wishing and hoping he would suddenly learn how to keep his passes from getting batted down.   

Gruden has to have a plan to put Simms in a position where they won't bat his passes down.  If he doesn't then I have to question the whole enchilada.

#26 : February 07, 2007, 09:19:33 PM

This whole Simms deal really makes me wonder why we continue to pore soo much time into him?  If he really had it in him, he would find a way to get it right.  While there are certainly legit reasons to ask about the coaching or playcalling, Gruden is right in the fact that he HAS to be able to do three step drops in this league.

He has to progress through his reads twice as quick as he does now.  As it stands now, I would rather we cut ties with him now, because he has had his time here to progress into a winner in this league and has yet shown the ability to do so.  While I understand that he got injured last year, for being able to sit on the bench and learn for two years, I don't see anything to gain from us keeping him, other then he potentially being a backup QB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 07, 2007, 09:54:25 PM

All I got is this.

"They used PVC pipe dummies with a Rucker jersey on it in order to teach him how to read passing lanes." -- Boid Fink

Not exactly the best mentoring considering Hackett and Grudens tags as QB coaches.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#28 : February 07, 2007, 10:17:31 PM

Boid, you are going to cause heads to explode.

#29 : February 07, 2007, 10:19:04 PM

All I got is this.

"They used PVC pipe dummies with a Rucker jersey on it in order to teach him how to read passing lanes." -- Boid Fink

Not exactly the best mentoring considering Hackett and Grudens tags as QB coaches.
Perhaps Simms is beyond help? Not saying he is but just throwing it out there.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools