Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 07, 2007, 10:21:03 PM

Karen, I hope not.  But seriously, I think too much of the blame is put on Simms who has proven he can throw the ball given a moment to look around.

He was planted into the turf so many times, even after throwing the ball, it was not even funny.  Thing is, the line was in such disarray at the jump it was hard to get any cohesivness going up front, and they played some teams that had BIG TIME talent up front, and in the secondary.  It was a big team effort at failure in the first half, but I would have rather had Chris back in the pocket week 16 than Rattay, or Gradkowski.

ALthough Rattay did have a nice game versus Chicago.  But I think they (Chicago) weren't ready to see a QB come in and be able to make some nice, accurate passes DOWNFIELD, so they got caught unaware.

Not saying Simms doesn't need work, but the O-line and run game weren't carrying the weight either...

#31 : February 07, 2007, 10:23:01 PM

Karen, I hope not.  But seriously, I think too much of the blame is put on Simms who has proven he can throw the ball given a moment to look around.

He was planted into the turf so many times, even after throwing the ball, it was not even funny.  Thing is, the line was in such disarray at the jump it was hard to get any cohesivness going up front, and they played some teams that had BIG TIME talent up front, and in the secondary.  It was a big team effort at failure in the first half, but I would have rather had Chris back in the pocket week 16 than Rattay, or Gradkowski.

ALthough Rattay did have a nice game versus Chicago.  But I think they (Chicago) weren't ready to see a QB come in and be able to make some nice, accurate passes DOWNFIELD, so they got caught unaware.

Not saying Simms doesn't need work, but the O-line and run game weren't carrying the weight either...
Uhhh.....I got light-headed reading about Ratman, I was just waiting for him to blow the Browns game.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 07, 2007, 10:24:21 PM

When was the last time we spent a 1st round pick on a QB? Why do we have to trade for Carr, Plummer, Boller, Garcia, or some other LOSER? Why can't we just take that franchise QB?!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 07, 2007, 10:24:38 PM

All I got is this.

"They used PVC pipe dummies with a Rucker jersey on it in order to teach him how to read passing lanes." -- Boid Fink

Not exactly the best mentoring considering Hackett and Grudens tags as QB coaches.
Perhaps Simms is beyond help? Not saying he is but just throwing it out there.
Simms is NOT beyond help.  You failed to get the gist of the argument.  I think Hackett and Gruden need to adapt to the talent around them, rather than relying on the schemes they devise that might not fit the personnels physical strengths.  I mean, Grads and SImms are shotgun QBs.  They had good success in that formation, but Gruden is not comfortable with the idea, quite yet.  Most of the NFL is, but Gruden is not...

Chris Simms needs a few more targets, less reliance on max protect schemes, some run support which was absolutely not there last year, and to work on some mechanics.

It is an all around affair, IMO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 07, 2007, 10:26:55 PM

When was the last time we spent a 1st round pick on a QB? Why do we have to trade for Carr, Plummer, Boller, Garcia, or some other LOSER? Why can't we just take that franchise QB?!
Because you never know if you are getting Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, etc...

Do you think that Quinn and Russell are LOCKS for "Franchise" status"?  Not me.  They both have big time question marks, espescially Quinn, whose stock has left the building, IMO.  I think Quinn is going to wind up like Aaron Rodgers...

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 07, 2007, 10:31:08 PM

Dilfer

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 07, 2007, 10:31:42 PM

Do you think that Quinn and Russell are LOCKS for "Franchise" status"? Not me. They both have big time question marks, espescially Quinn, whose stock has left the building, IMO. I think Quinn is going to wind up like Aaron Rodgers...

The risk is why you do it! We need a LEADER! A leader will NOT be Boller, Carr, or Leftwich. Garcia, that idea is down the toilet nearly... Plummer... why? Let's just take the freakin risk.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 07, 2007, 10:34:42 PM

Do you think that Quinn and Russell are LOCKS for "Franchise" status"? Not me. They both have big time question marks, espescially Quinn, whose stock has left the building, IMO. I think Quinn is going to wind up like Aaron Rodgers...

The risk is why you do it! We need a LEADER! A leader will NOT be Boller, Carr, or Leftwich. Garcia, that idea is down the toilet nearly... Plummer... why? Let's just take the freakin risk.
Quinn is associated with not being a big game QB.  Period.  So his leadership skills are questionable, IMO.  Being **CENSORED**y is one thing, but being a leader means not freezing in big games.

And JaMArcus is not going to be around...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#38 : February 07, 2007, 10:39:43 PM

All I got is this.

"They used PVC pipe dummies with a Rucker jersey on it in order to teach him how to read passing lanes." -- Boid Fink

Not exactly the best mentoring considering Hackett and Grudens tags as QB coaches.
Perhaps Simms is beyond help? Not saying he is but just throwing it out there.
Simms is NOT beyond help.  You failed to get the gist of the argument.  I think Hackett and Gruden need to adapt to the talent around them, rather than relying on the schemes they devise that might not fit the personnels physical strengths.  I mean, Grads and SImms are shotgun QBs.  They had good success in that formation, but Gruden is not comfortable with the idea, quite yet.  Most of the NFL is, but Gruden is not...

Chris Simms needs a few more targets, less reliance on max protect schemes, some run support which was absolutely not there last year, and to work on some mechanics.

It is an all around affair, IMO.
I agree completely, but the 'brains' around here think we need to get a freaking rookie.  I think it was pretty obvious that Gruden had 'issues' with Simms.  When NFL commentators notice then it's a problem.  Perhaps he will realize he has to get it done this season or he will be gone.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#39 : February 07, 2007, 10:43:30 PM

I think most of it falls on the offensive line and lack of running game. What is stopping every defensive lineman from coming in hands up when they can push the o-lineman back with just their legs and they don't have to worry about tackling a running back?

#40 : February 07, 2007, 10:43:37 PM

Perhaps Simms will notice the same....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 07, 2007, 10:45:11 PM

I think most of it falls on the offensive line and lack of running game. What is stopping every defensive lineman from coming in hands up when they can push the o-lineman back with just their legs and they don't have to worry about tackling a running back?
That is all I am saying.

#42 : February 07, 2007, 10:46:30 PM

Well basically the lack of an O-line = lack of a running game.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 07, 2007, 10:49:45 PM

Well basically the lack of an O-line = lack of a running game.
Hey now don't put words in my mouth!

T

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 08, 2007, 01:42:13 AM

Simms needs to learn how to see the throwing lanes alot better, and I think he will be fine if the Bucs surrond him with alot of offensive talent.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms pathetic start due to coaching or ability? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools