Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barber to the HOF?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: October 16, 2006, 11:49:52 AM

Who knows about Ronde (he needs to play at a high level for a few more years, and he might need to move to safety to do so), but I think Tiki is getting close to a lock.  His numbers are on par with some of the all-time greats.  Only knocks are fumbles early in his career, no ring, and coming out for short yardage.  But he's an all-purpose threat and has consistantly put up great numbers both running and yards from scrimmage in a big market.

coopsxx

Starter
#1 : October 16, 2006, 12:07:32 PM

I would love to see barber as a safety. He is prob the best tackler in our secondary and he has never been a great man cover corner anyway. Since he is signed through 5 years i think that may happen occasionally, regardless of not having prototypical size, he would be a good safety.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#2 : October 16, 2006, 12:19:00 PM

My guess is Ronde being the first corner to have 20 sacks and 20 ints and playing on a championsip team will be enough to get him into the HOF.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 16, 2006, 12:19:32 PM

It would be nice to see both of them get in

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#4 : October 16, 2006, 12:22:31 PM

Yeah it would, especially if they went in the same year.

coopsxx

Starter
#5 : October 16, 2006, 12:28:07 PM

i dont think either get in.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 16, 2006, 12:29:19 PM

Not sure about Barber. YOu would think so but who knows really.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 16, 2006, 01:46:10 PM

I would say neither of them get in.  I once read an article about HOF voters, and there was a great measuring stick that one of them pointed out.  Can you tell the all-time story of football without this player.  I don't believe either of them command that type of attention.

#8 : October 16, 2006, 02:03:42 PM

I would say neither of them get in.  I once read an article about HOF voters, and there was a great measuring stick that one of them pointed out.  Can you tell the all-time story of football without this player.  I don't believe either of them command that type of attention.

I disagree.  Are you saying that OTs should never be elected to the HOF, because they never come up in stories.  Look at Ronde, though: played on a defense that ranked in the top 10 for 9 consecutive years.  Only CB with 20 sacks and 20 INTs.  Ronde hand numerous all-time plays in crucial situations, first amoung those being the INT return for a TD to ice the NFC Championship game against McNabb and the Eagles.

I'm not saying he's a lock, I just don't think your reasoning is solid.

LynchPin

Rookie

#9 : October 16, 2006, 02:05:07 PM

I think Tiki is getting close.  If he could get 1,200 yards rushing this year and next year that would be 6 straight 1,200 yard seasons, a 4.6 ypc average, not to mention the 7 straight 50+ catch season's he's already got.  At the pace he's on, by the end of next season he could be in the top 10 all-time in rushing yards, top 10 in yards from scrimmage, and top 40 in receptions.

Ronde has a tougher road.  The 20/20 thing is great, but he's never been truly dominant at his position.  IMO, he would need to get to 30 sacks and 30 INTs, a couple more Pro Bowls, and have a couple more memorable splash plays like the INT returned for a TD against the Eagles just to get consideration.  The problem is, his play seems to have dropped off this year as he doesn't have a single sack or INT.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 16, 2006, 02:09:51 PM

I disagree. Are you saying that OTs should never be elected to the HOF, because they never come up in stories. Look at Ronde, though: played on a defense that ranked in the top 10 for 9 consecutive years. Only CB with 20 sacks and 20 INTs. Ronde hand numerous all-time plays in crucial situations, first amoung those being the INT return for a TD to ice the NFC Championship game against McNabb and the Eagles.

I'm not saying he's a lock, I just don't think your reasoning is solid.

I'm not talking about newspaper stories or any story ever written.  I'm talking about a hypothetical, all encompasing story about the NFL written at the end of time.  

Is it possible to tell that story without Ronde Barber?  Did he make that much of an impact on the league in his time?  I say he did not.  

Is it possible to tell the story of football without Jonathan Ogden?  No.  He's a guy that in his prime was a brick wall.  No one beat him ever, and he was the best player on offense for a Super Bowl champion.

And it's not my reasoning as I clearly stated.  It's the reasoning of the people voting.

T

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 16, 2006, 02:15:17 PM

Ronde isn't a HOFer, as much as I'd like to see as many Buc players as possible in the hall the only sure fire Hall of Famer the Bucs have is Brooks. Even Brooks may not be a first ballot HOFer.

coopsxx

Starter
#12 : October 16, 2006, 02:50:04 PM

in my eyes Brooks and Sapp are, but i just get the feeling that they may get overlooked.

Rice is ont he bubble, as is Lynch, (lynch is such a media favourite it will help.)

Barber wont get in, same sadly for Kiffin (who probably deserves it more than most the aforemntioned.)

Unless Kiffin rebuilds the D in the near future as we strive for another SB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 16, 2006, 05:33:08 PM

in my eyes Brooks and Sapp are, but i just get the feeling that they may get overlooked.

Rice is ont he bubble, as is Lynch, (lynch is such a media favourite it will help.)

Barber wont get in, same sadly for Kiffin (who probably deserves it more than most the aforemntioned.)

Unless Kiffin rebuilds the D in the near future as we strive for another SB.

Kiffin is a lock no matter what man.  The man was top 10 for ten years, a feat no one has ever done.  He is the most locked in lock we have ever seen.

#14 : October 16, 2006, 05:43:59 PM

My guess is Ronde being the first corner to have 20 sacks and 20 ints and playing on a championsip team will be enough to get him into the HOF.

Hes also been an All Pro atleast once (2001, 2005?) and has led the league in INTs
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Barber to the HOF?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools