Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs go after Mike Rucker or Mike Minter? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
: February 07, 2007, 06:03:58 PM

From ProFootballWeekly.com:

• We're told the Panthers could part ways with two veteran defenders in the offseason because of their salary-cap situation. We hear the Panthers are one of a handful of teams that are over the 2007 salary cap and they could be forced to release DE Mike Rucker and SS Mike Minter, who are the heart and soul of the defense, in cost-cutting moves.

I think if these players get cut, the Bucs should go after both of them in a heartbeat.

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 07, 2007, 06:07:27 PM

Sign them both NOW!!! I want to beat the Panthers more than any other team next year!

#2 : February 07, 2007, 06:08:04 PM

I wouldn't mind either quite frankly.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#3 : February 07, 2007, 06:09:51 PM

Mike Rucker would be one hell of a pickup for our defense. He hasnt had a double digit sack season since 2003, and his sack total is only 8.5 in the last two years, so his price tag shouldnt be too high.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 07, 2007, 06:51:25 PM

Minter would fit in well, IMO.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 07, 2007, 07:51:53 PM

Hmmmm. Minter is 33 years old. Bucs safeties (since they're interchangeable) have to be able to cover. I wonder what he's got left in that department. Rucker is the sort of guy who would do well in the Bucs 4-3 defense, but he's up there age-wise as well (though at the right price, he'd be a nice pick up for a couple of seasons).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 07, 2007, 08:42:36 PM

Isn't Rucker brittle?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : February 07, 2007, 08:54:45 PM

Hmmmm. Minter is 33 years old. Bucs safeties (since they're interchangeable) have to be able to cover. I wonder what he's got left in that department. Rucker is the sort of guy who would do well in the Bucs 4-3 defense, but he's up there age-wise as well (though at the right price, he'd be a nice pick up for a couple of seasons).

Rucker is 31 years old so I guess he's only a year younger than Simeon Rice.

#8 : February 07, 2007, 08:58:53 PM

How about signing neither? I would rather draft a DE this year IMO, and we've already got some decent talent at safety.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 07, 2007, 10:11:49 PM

How about signing neither? I would rather draft a DE this year IMO, and we've already got some decent talent at safety.
DECENT talent at safety? Wha da hell is you on main!?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 07, 2007, 10:17:37 PM

DECENT talent at safety? Wha da hell is you on main!?
LMAO!

Yeah, Blue, Jermaine, and Will aren't exactly Night Train Lanes out there...

#11 : February 07, 2007, 10:30:04 PM

Well, for the most part our safeties have been serviceable.  I seem to recall quite a few people were high on W. Allen around here.  I guess I'm not sold on the idea of signing a guy past 30 at this position, when as pointed out above, our safeties need to be able to cover.  Getting help along our D-line will help out a lot so as not to expose our secondary, but I would rather we keep looking for young prospects to fill some of these holes to get our defense back up to snuff.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 07, 2007, 10:49:56 PM

they were the main reason we lost at least 3 games last season [I'm sure there were more - but thats all that come to mind right now].  I think they were FAR from being serviceable.  The question is can Morris get them back on track.  Allen and Phillips have potential in my opinion, but have been seriously underachieving.  At this point it wouldn't hurt anything to bring in some Vets and let those 2 take a backup role until they start playing up to their potential ... hey, Allen and Phillips would make excellent upgrades to our backups Adams and Pearson.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#13 : February 07, 2007, 10:56:46 PM

I would rather re-sign Dewayne White than sign Rucker.

I'll pass on a 33 year old safety who didn't have a lot of range in the first place.

#14 : February 07, 2007, 11:05:30 PM

Perhaps you are right, but you do bring up an interesting question.  It is obvious that the FO believes that coaching played a role in why this team went to pot in that the fired Burns and Franklin after one year, which happens to be one of the worst years in recent history for this defense.  Also this defense is predicated on its pass rush, if we had one, perhaps some of those previous losses may not have been?  Would've, could've stuff I know, but  it does beg the question for it.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs go after Mike Rucker or Mike Minter? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools