Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: STALLWORTH GETS 30 DAYS??? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #105 : June 22, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

I'll give you a grade of A+ for persistence.

You tried to sell that at the G2G, and it didn't work there either. :)

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #106 : June 22, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »

LMAO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

doclobster

Practice Squad

« #107 : June 22, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/video-exists-of-stallworth-accident/
Video Exists Of Stallworth Accident
Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2009, 1:34 p.m. EDT

A source with knowledge of the March 14 collision between Brown receiver Donte’ Stallworth’s vehicle and 59-year-old Mario Reyes tells us that a video of the accident exists.

Per the source, the footage was shot by a nearby surveillance camera that monitors the gates to Reyes’ workplace.

We’re told that the video shows Reyes walking into the highway in an area that does not contain a crosswalk, and ultimately walking directly into the path of Stallworth’s Bentley.

Stallworth’s lawyer, David Cornwell, declined to confirm the existence of the video.

The contents of the video apparently had a significant impact on the ultimate plea deal.  Though the 30-day prison term and two years of house arrest light have triggered significant criticism, the ultimate question for a jury would have been whether the evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Stallworth caused or contributed to the death of Mario Reyes.  At a minimum, the contents of the tape, as they have been described to us, indicate that a reasonable jury could have found reasonable doubt.

Whether the video results in a reduced suspension from the NFL remains to be seen.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #108 : June 22, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »

I didn't expect it to be a popular opinion. Because it's such a socially charged issue. While I understand what he's trying to do, and to some point agree with most of his efforts, I still think that the commish has too much power.  I also think there should be an agreed upon "scale" if you will and not just at his discretion.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #109 : June 22, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »

I didn't expect it to be a popular opinion. Because it's such a socially charged issue. While I understand what he's trying to do, and to some point agree with most of his efforts, I still think that the commish has too much power.  I also think there should be an agreed upon "scale" if you will and not just at his discretion.

Socially charged?  Really?  Why and How?

As for the power - one would think he is looking at the impact on the league.  If a wrongful act is affirmed and could impact the league - it is in the bailiwick of the Commissioner.  As for his ability to handle the penalty - I personally dislike prescribed outcomes. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #110 : June 22, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »

Bailiwick.. got me on that one sir. Had to look it up fo sho

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #111 : June 23, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »

I didn't expect it to be a popular opinion. Because it's such a socially charged issue. While I understand what he's trying to do, and to some point agree with most of his efforts, I still think that the commish has too much power. I also think there should be an agreed upon "scale" if you will and not just at his discretion.

Socially charged? Really? Why and How?

As for the power - one would think he is looking at the impact on the league. If a wrongful act is affirmed and could impact the league - it is in the bailiwick of the Commissioner. As for his ability to handle the penalty - I personally dislike prescribed outcomes.

Even the purveyors of justice in the highest court in the land have guidelines. Very stringent ones I might add. And while they use their years of schooling and experience in jurisprudence to ingeniously adjudicate people, their crimes, or other legal issues who is this guy to set his own freaking rules?  Hey do these guys need a slap and a wake up call, no doubt.  I just think this sets a bad precedent for future contravention…

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #112 : June 23, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »

who is this guy to set his own freaking rules?

He's the Commissioner.  That's how it works.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #113 : June 23, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »

who is this guy to set his own freaking rules?

He's the Commissioner. That's how it works.

Doesn't work for me...

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #114 : June 23, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »

I guess my whole problem is that after the guy has gone through the legal process and isadjudicated, why does the commish get to slap more on him than the courts did. Forget the outcome or the ruling or the money he paid or his status as a player for a minute. It just seems unfair to me that this guy gets to impose anything he wants right, wrong, or indifferent, regardless of what happens in the legal system...

...because playing in the league is not a right. It is an option extended to you by the league as long as you abide by its rules. Stallworth didn't and so his company can impose any punishment they want on him and since the NFL makes its money off being popular and having a player who killed a man while driving drunk will not help their popularity and public image.

If you see the league as one entity with 32 subsidiaries I'd agree.  Even then I still think the commisioner has no checks and balances and there is no consistency to the punnishments.  It's all at his whims, his belief system, his words and thoughts.  I just think it should be a standardized process not however he feels or is possibly pressured into doing from outside sources...

I'm with Chev on this one. In this particular case...the commish's punishment comes across as "makeup" for a perceived injustice in sentencing....at least to me.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #115 : June 23, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »

I'm with Chev on this one. In this particular case...the commish's punishment comes across as "makeup" for a perceived injustice in sentencing....at least to me.

Do we even know what the suspension is yet?

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #116 : June 23, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »

Do we even know what the suspension is yet?

Currently it is indefinitely and, from what I've read, it looks like it will be a year.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #117 : June 24, 2009, 01:15:15 AM »

I guess my whole problem is that after the guy has gone through the legal process and isadjudicated, why does the commish get to slap more on him than the courts did. Forget the outcome or the ruling or the money he paid or his status as a player for a minute. It just seems unfair to me that this guy gets to impose anything he wants right, wrong, or indifferent, regardless of what happens in the legal system...

...because playing in the league is not a right. It is an option extended to you by the league as long as you abide by its rules. Stallworth didn't and so his company can impose any punishment they want on him and since the NFL makes its money off being popular and having a player who killed a man while driving drunk will not help their popularity and public image.

If you see the league as one entity with 32 subsidiaries I'd agree. Even then I still think the commisioner has no checks and balances and there is no consistency to the punnishments. It's all at his whims, his belief system, his words and thoughts. I just think it should be a standardized process not however he feels or is possibly pressured into doing from outside sources...

That's my whole point, it feels like to me that he has taken up the cause and is punishing the guy to a further extent when he has already been through the legal process...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #118 : June 24, 2009, 01:35:25 AM »

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/video-exists-of-stallworth-accident/
Video Exists Of Stallworth Accident
Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2009, 1:34 p.m. EDT

A source with knowledge of the March 14 collision between Brown receiver Donte’ Stallworth’s vehicle and 59-year-old Mario Reyes tells us that a video of the accident exists.

Per the source, the footage was shot by a nearby surveillance camera that monitors the gates to Reyes’ workplace.

We’re told that the video shows Reyes walking into the highway in an area that does not contain a crosswalk, and ultimately walking directly into the path of Stallworth’s Bentley.

Stallworth’s lawyer, David Cornwell, declined to confirm the existence of the video.

The contents of the video apparently had a significant impact on the ultimate plea deal. Though the 30-day prison term and two years of house arrest light have triggered significant criticism, the ultimate question for a jury would have been whether the evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Stallworth caused or contributed to the death of Mario Reyes. At a minimum, the contents of the tape, as they have been described to us, indicate that a reasonable jury could have found reasonable doubt.

Whether the video results in a reduced suspension from the NFL remains to be seen.

Exactly, nothing "bulletproof" about this case.   There was a real possibility that Stallworth could have walked on the DUI manslaughter charge.
  Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: STALLWORTH GETS 30 DAYS??? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools