Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: STALLWORTH GETS 30 DAYS??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 16, 2009, 02:20:59 PM

I know of an 18 year old that was drinking and driving on his prom night and got into an accident.  The girl in the car died, wasn’t wearing her seatbelt, and he went to jail for 3 years.  The thing is, this kid didn’t have 2-5 million to throw at the problem.

Morally?  Whether you have millions or peanuts, it’s the same crime…but in the real world..if you have money, you can sometimes make problems go away.

I personally feel that drinking and driving is wrong, but do I think it’s a mistake somebody should go to jail for A first offender?  No.  Now if the surcharges and increase in car insurance isn’t enough to detour you from getting another DUI, then yes, jail time should be for those “idiots”.  But for somebody that makes 1 dumb decision and their goal is to get home from the bar…then I don’t think jail should be in their future.

Most people, including myself, learned from that dumb decision.  I drink all the time(as if you can’t tell by some of my post haha), but I will never drink and drive again.  Not only is it a bad investment, but you can hurt others and yourself.  Stallworth doesn’t have a history of drinking and driving and wasn’t that far over the legal limit.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 16, 2009, 02:22:57 PM

The difference is Stallworth's team knew how to work the system. The minute this happened they got started figuring out how to make it go away. As soon as Bad Newz Kennels got busted, Vick denied denied denied until all his homeboys flipped on him and the feds got involved. If he owned up to it from the beginning and made a deal with the locals before the feds came in, he'd be back in the NFL by now. The longer you delay the inevitable, the worse it gets.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 16, 2009, 02:52:28 PM

The pedestrian's wrong doing consisted of Jay-Walking (Punishable by Death apparently.....). Stallworth made a conscious decision to get being the wheel of his Bentley and drive under the influence. IMO, Stallworth is a great risk to society than Vick.  30 days is a slap on the wrist for him, and a Slap in the face to the victims family.
I'm with you on this. Something is very wrong here.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 16, 2009, 03:28:23 PM

OK, put me in the category that "JUST DOESN'T GET IT!"

Mike Vick killed some dogs and gets 2 years..... Stallworth gets liquored up and kills a family man coming home from work and he gets 30 days???
WOW, just, WOW!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751
Leonard Little the same.

I agree with you.  It is indeed a shame, and PETA should go and protest THESE dudes before Michael Vick.  PETA makes me sick...

Radical fools.

Sorry but there's a big difference in my mind between INTENTIONALLY breeding and training dogs to kill one another while getting a thrill out of it for amusement and having an illegal gambling ring AND being at the wrong place at the wrong time with a few beers still left in your system when some crazy fool decides to take a stroll in the middle of a freeway.
Maybe he should not have been driving, and if he had complete control of his senses, he would not have hit the guy...

Dudes in the NFL are better off beating their wives, running over people than they are trying to run a gambling ring and fighting dogs.

Sad.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 16, 2009, 03:31:28 PM

30 days is nuts. Not comparing to anything else - it is nuts.
And unfortunately, the comparison will exist.

But I agree with you entirely.  With no other comparison, 30 days is friggin' awful.  He was somewhat impaired, ran over a guy, and gets thirty stinking days?  Athletes seem to always get away with...murder.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 16, 2009, 03:45:03 PM

Mike Vick killed some dogs and gets 2 years..... Stallworth gets liquored up and kills a family man coming home from work and he gets 30 days???
WOW, just, WOW!

Leonard Little the same.

I agree with you.  It is indeed a shame, and PETA should go and protest THESE dudes before Michael Vick.  PETA makes me sick...

Radical fools.

Sorry but there's a big difference in my mind between INTENTIONALLY breeding and training dogs to kill one another while getting a thrill out of it for amusement and having an illegal gambling ring AND being at the wrong place at the wrong time with a few beers still left in your system when some crazy fool decides to take a stroll in the middle of a freeway.
Maybe he should not have been driving, and if he had complete control of his senses, he would not have hit the guy...

Dudes in the NFL are better off beating their wives, running over people than they are trying to run a gambling ring and fighting dogs.

Sad.

Do you know that if he had better senses he would not have hit the guy? Sometimes these things cannot be avoided and there is nothing one can do.

Now I feel 30 days is still a little short but the fact is if he pled not guilty, its possible the defense might have had somewhat of a hard time proving there case. Each man in the case was doing something illegal and stupid. According to Stallworths account and supposedly those of some witnesses, the guy wasn't in a crosswalk and Stallworth tried warning the guy with his lights. Let's face it, drunk or not, going that fast and then doing a jerk reaction in a vehicle is a split second decision and most ofthe time it doesn't work out. Another question is, say if Stallworth instead swerved out of the way and hit someone in another car and possibly killed them, would the situation be the same?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 16, 2009, 03:48:19 PM

WOW, just, WOW!

Leonard Little the same.

I agree with you. It is indeed a shame, and PETA should go and protest THESE dudes before Michael Vick. PETA makes me sick...

Radical fools.

Sad.

Do you know that if he had better senses he would not have hit the guy? Sometimes these things cannot be avoided and there is nothing one can do.

Now I feel 30 days is still a little short but the fact is if he pled not guilty, its possible the defense might have had somewhat of a hard time proving there case. Each man in the case was doing something illegal and stupid. According to Stallworths account and supposedly those of some witnesses, the guy wasn't in a crosswalk and Stallworth tried warning the guy with his lights. Let's face it, drunk or not, going that fast and then doing a jerk reaction in a vehicle is a split second decision and most ofthe time it doesn't work out. Another question is, say if Stallworth instead swerved out of the way and hit someone in another car and possibly killed them, would the situation be the same?
we don't.

But he would not have gotten ANY time if he had complete sobriety in his favor...unfortunately, he did not. 

All I know is, one guy was drunk, and walking, and should not have been "jay walking", and the other guy was partially impaired, tired, and ran the other guy over and killed him...

One guy is dead, the other gets thirty days. 

If it were you, or I who did this, we would get more than 30, almost certain of that.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 16, 2009, 03:53:20 PM

WOW, just, WOW!

Leonard Little the same.

I agree with you. It is indeed a shame, and PETA should go and protest THESE dudes before Michael Vick. PETA makes me sick...

Radical fools.

Sad.

we don't.

But he would not have gotten ANY time if he had complete sobriety in his favor...unfortunately, he did not. 

All I know is, one guy was drunk, and walking, and should not have been "jay walking", and the other guy was partially impaired, tired, and ran the other guy over and killed him...

If it were you, or I who did this, we would get more than 30, almost certain of that.

We don't have 5 million dollars as part of a settlement. Well I don't, I'm not sure how well you've been doing on the craps tables. I agree that the money and the factof the spotlight on the situation made it a lighter sentence along with I'm sure a deal by the state for Stallworth pleading guility. IMO, it's a very debatable situation. Yes I think he deserves more jail time, but not even close to the maximum. It's all really a matter of opinion. If it went to court, it would have been the opinion of the jury. But, Stallworth manned up and plead guilty. So, the justice system handed him a sentence and now it's just our opinions that (don't) matter.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#38 : June 17, 2009, 10:17:43 AM

^^better post^^

...and it must have been a media created item, because I could have sworn I heard something about him drinking (the victim).

And any normal, decent humanbeing is going to feel remorseful. So that issue really carries no weight with me. It should be a given.

+1
Can anyone produce a link that supports the notion that the victim was indeed drunk? I'm not sure that it makes much difference, but I see alot of people using that as a way "equalizing" the bad deed of Stallworth. It also was a "Causeway" not a Freeway that the victim was hit crossing. (Think Courtney Campbell, Not I-75). I believe the posted speed limit was 40mph.

kurbstomperx

Rookie

#39 : June 16, 2009, 03:54:10 PM

These athletes digust me. If this had been you or me, we would be locked up for atleast 3 years. They run around town doing whatever they want, drinking and driving, beating women, killing dogs and get slapped on the wrist. Drinking and driving is bad enough and anyone that does it and gets caught reguardless of killing someone should get put away for a year and make sure they never do it again. Charles Barkley said he drove home drunk thousands of times and he keeps his job and does some therapy. Make these slimeballs accountable.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#40 : June 16, 2009, 03:56:16 PM

WOW, just, WOW!

Leonard Little the same.

Radical fools.

Sad.

we don't.

We would be locked up longer than Vick was. No doubt about it.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#41 : June 16, 2009, 04:21:17 PM

WOW, just, WOW!

Leonard Little the same.

Radical fools.

Sad.

we don't.

Was the victim drunk too? I hadn't heard that. Link?  I thought he was getting off work.

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#42 : June 16, 2009, 04:55:32 PM

Obviously you feel bad for the family, but they are along for the ride helping to push for a quick resolution. �This usually stems from a cash resolution in which the family will not come after Stallworth in Civil.

The real crime in all of this is that Plaxico Burress is about to face a 3 year MANDATORY imprisonment for shooting HIMSELF in the leg. �You wanna talk about lapse in the system......

I think you maybe right about the family wanting to get this over. And I'm sure the money helped, I'm not debating that either. The Plax case is another one that I'll never understand.

I think you forgot the 1000 Hours of community service and 10 years probation.

Community Service = Lectures to Kids about not drinking and driving (I think the NFL has a program for that called the UNITED WAY)
10 years probation= Living life as a law abiding citizen (I think that shouldn't be too hard) Prolly should start by not leaving the bar at 7 in the morning.
For him it could be serious hell.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 16, 2009, 07:16:58 PM

Humans and dogs are the exact same. We are all forms of mammals. We just happen to be more advanced than any other creature on the planet. Some people around here seem to forget that.

** shakes head in amazement **

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bucman23

Starter

#44 : June 16, 2009, 07:21:50 PM

hes also receiving 2 years of house arrest. its entirely different from michael vicks situation. also, he agreed on a huge payment to the family to prevent a civil suit against him so its important to know that the family of the guy who was killed agreed on everything..
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: STALLWORTH GETS 30 DAYS??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools