Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NEED HELP w/ missing CD ROM Drive (XP Home) « previous next »
Page: 1

JTHV83

Second String

: June 16, 2009, 12:08:03 PM

For reasons I don't understand my CD ROM drive keeps disappearing from my PC.

Below is the process that I've found by searching Google... BUT I've tried it countless times to no avail. I've tried doing a few System Restore's today and have noticed that it indeed fixes the issue but for only about 5 minutes and then my CDROM Drive disappears again right in front of my eyes while viewing My Computer.

Due to the corrupted registry, it caused the CD/DVD-Rom to be unaccessible. From Microsoft Website. You need to delete 2 registry values.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:

1.Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2.Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3.On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4.Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5.On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6.Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7.Restart your computer.

CAN somebody please help me? I'm trying to install a new WiFi Printer and new anti-virus software. Need CDROM Drive ASAP.

Thanks in advance...

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 16, 2009, 12:18:46 PM

Open the box up and check the cable connecting the CD to the motherboard. A loose connection could cause that. Or it could be a bad CD/ROM. I had the same problem, changed CD drives, never had the problem again.

I am assuming this is NOT a laptop. On a laptop there is no cable, the CD plugs straight into the mobo.

JTHV83

Second String

#2 : June 16, 2009, 12:55:22 PM

Thanks for the reply but it indeed is a laptop. Dell XPS M170

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 16, 2009, 01:15:52 PM

Are you using any DVD copy software? Daemon Tools? Anything that would cause or create a virtual CD device? If so, uninstall them all, reboot and then install them one by one rebooting after each. pcuffin drivers don't mesh well with each other and can cause this to happen often.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 16, 2009, 02:30:41 PM

Delete the drive and reboot. Windows will reinstall the drivers again on start-up.

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#5 : June 16, 2009, 04:51:26 PM

device mgr, delete the drive, check for new hardware, update, should be good
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NEED HELP w/ missing CD ROM Drive (XP Home) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools