Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT becomes part of NBC Sports « previous next »
Page: 1

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: June 15, 2009, 09:38:09 AM

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032875/

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 15, 2009, 09:40:30 AM

I have always liked PFT.com and FLorio. As much as people hate on him dude built a powerhouse from the ground up.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 15, 2009, 09:45:34 AM

I like anybody that takes digs at DUImig.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 15, 2009, 10:03:22 AM

I have always liked PFT.com and FLorio. As much as people hate on him dude built a powerhouse from the ground up.

No doubt. As a long time visitor to his site, its been kool to watch it grow.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

techstar25

Starter

#4 : June 15, 2009, 10:08:50 AM

I have always hated Mike Florio. I hate him with a passion.
Yet I visit his site 12 times a day, at least. I guess that means he's doing something right. God bless 'em. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 15, 2009, 10:41:18 AM

I thought he sucked at first as most crap he posted was really rumors that never panned out..or recycled garbage. 

But over time he built up real sources to go with his candor which I always liked.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 15, 2009, 10:44:34 AM

Sold out to "the Man".  Hope this gives him the resources to prevent crashes at key event times.  Hope it doesn't water down the content.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 15, 2009, 10:52:26 AM

He's a rumor site so rumors have a lot of throw it to the wall and see if it sticks quality. There's not much different in PFT's rumor mongering and predictions than ESPN or CNNSi for my money. What Florio has always done better than the "big guys" is cover the cap issues of the game in a lot more depth.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 15, 2009, 10:59:16 AM

I agree, but at first it seemed he made most stuff up himself just to draw attention. Now I think he really has a lot of good sources and good information.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#9 : June 16, 2009, 11:07:15 AM

There are some positives and negatives to PFT.  Florio does a great job at getting breaking news out quickly - much faster than the big name national web sites and often faster than even local media sites.  He compiles a great deal of information at one location for all 32 teams.  And he doesn't just rehash a news story, he offers his opinion on the matter as well.

On the other side I sense that he has burnt his bridges with many of his contacts within the NFL, so he is now relying almost exclusively on local media members and agents.  And he often seems to slant his columns for the sole purpose of creating debate; in other words, he's just stirring the pot in order to increase web traffic.  Over the last couple of years there seems to be far too much of that and not enough insightful analysis.

As a businessman I respect and applaud Florio.  He has taken on competitors with far greater resources and much deeper wallets and has succeeded against very long odds.  And he does as good if not better job than anybody in the business when he writes about the CBA and NFLPA.  It's the other columns, where the site seems to be headed towards a TMZ gossip-format that I could do without.

Obviously he had grown the site to a point where he needed more financial backing going forward.  NBC Sports has leased him server space at peak times in the past when necessary so this move isn't a big surprise.  And it's a smart move for NBC Sports, who lag far behind their competition in drawing sports fans to their site.  A win-win for both PFT and NBC.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#10 : June 16, 2009, 10:58:41 PM

PFT has had a lot of great information over the years. I also like that Florio coined a lot of stuff, like "Lord Favre", always backing WVA players, even when turds.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

The Q

Pro Bowler

#11 : June 16, 2009, 11:00:38 PM

Here's a direct link to the article, so you don't have to search the site for it.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31358793/ns/sports-nfl/

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 16, 2009, 11:20:34 PM

PFT has had a lot of great information over the years. I also like that Florio coined a lot of stuff, like "Lord Favre", always backing WVA players, even when turds.

Actually, the constant pimping of WVU players has turned me off of late. 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT becomes part of NBC Sports « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools