Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article On Alstott's Possible Return « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

bucs1

Practice Squad
: February 07, 2007, 10:22:25 PM

From NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9981491

Not Full Yet

Strong coming back; Alstott leaning that way

OAHU, Hawaii (Feb. 7, 2007) -- The more players step back, the more they want back in.

When the season ended, Seattle's NFC Pro Bowl fullback Mack Strong and Tampa Bay's veteran standout fullback Mike Alstott were seriously contemplating retirement. Both players, the 35-year-old Strong and the 34-year-old Alstott, sounded as if they had run into the line, and linebackers, one too many times.

Mack Strong's second Pro Bowl won't be his final game.     
But now, a month has passed, and so have their urges to walk away from the game.

Strong confirmed after the NFC's Pro Bowl practice that he will indeed return for his 14th NFL season, which is good news for Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, the Seattle franchise and the NFL itself.

"I wasn't sure that I would be back," Strong said. "In fact, I thought I wouldn't be. But now I will."

Alstott isn't quite as decisive in his feelings yet, but he is headed on the same path as Strong. A source close to Alstott confided that, after thinking he would be walking away from the game, Alstott now is giving serious consideration to playing in 2007. It sounds like he wants to.

The holdup in Alstott's case is his unresolved contract situation.

Alstott's contract expired after the 2006 season and he now is without a contract. It now is up to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to huddle with Alstott's representatives to see if they can produce a deal that would be enticing enough to bring back the fullback and ensure that he doesn't end his career in another city the way former Buccaneers standouts John Lynch and Warren Sapp have.

Now that Alstott is prepared to play, it could mean the NFC will have two veteran workhorse fullbacks plowing open holes and providing the leadership that they have throughout their careers.

#1 : February 07, 2007, 10:23:33 PM

CRAP! Not another year of 'GiveMikeDaBall'.....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 07, 2007, 10:28:16 PM

AS long as Mike is given a small deal, for another 1 year term, I would not mind. 

I do not think he is without his uses...

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 07, 2007, 10:28:50 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  We are going to have to go through this same thing again with the Free Mandela crowd who will make a mockery of being a Bucs fan once again.  I can see it now...."And its fourth and two and if Caddy can make those two yards the Bucs will clinch the playoffs....and huh? The Crowd is yelling 'Choo choo!  Put in Mikey for one more run!  Choo choo!'...what is that????"

#4 : February 07, 2007, 10:29:19 PM

AS long as Mike is given a small deal, for another 1 year term, I would not mind.

I do not think he is without his uses...
I don't like the idea unless we draft McClain / Latsko.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 07, 2007, 10:30:26 PM

FB is not a problem on the Bucs.  I would not mind seeing a proven vet in there, who still has some usefullness.

#6 : February 07, 2007, 10:31:10 PM

That was supposed to be Sowell, though he never got in since the fans and media would go bezerk if someone not wearing 40 were starting as the FB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 07, 2007, 10:36:15 PM

That was supposed to be Sowell, though he never got in since the fans and media would go bezerk if someone not wearing 40 were starting as the FB.
Sowell train could not oust Alstott, so that tells you how valuable he is...

Alstott is not a bad FB.

The Bucs have bigger fish to fry, and signing him to a 1 year deal, a small deal, is more valuable to the team (as a leader), than it does to hurt it.  Alstott ran over Springs earlier in the year, and it was AWESOME!  It pumped the entire team up!  He has his uses...

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#8 : February 07, 2007, 10:38:33 PM

Alstott has his uses for sure. Like someone said a small 1 year deal wouldn't be bad. You can never have too many locker room leaders, especially for this pathetic offense.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 07, 2007, 10:39:44 PM

OMG ... That drove me absolutley crazy!!!! I don't mind seeing him here another year, but not if we have to deal with crap like that. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 07, 2007, 10:40:08 PM

Alstott has his uses for sure. Like someone said a small 1 year deal wouldn't be bad. You can never have too many locker room leaders, especially for this pathetic offense.
Amen.

Argument over.

I am sick of hearing people complain about Alstott.  It makes me sick.

No one is saying he is the saviour.  He may be a fan fave, but why not?  Who cares?  He doesn't get the ball a hundred times a year, so grow thicker skins, and ignore mullet heads who say "Give Mike the Ball!"

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#11 : February 07, 2007, 10:41:20 PM

Amen.

Argument over.

I am sick of hearing people complain about Alstott.  It makes me sick.

No one is saying he is the saviour.  He may be a fan fave, but why not?  Who cares?  He doesn't get the ball a hundred times a year, so grow thicker skins, and ignore mullet heads who say "Give Mike the Ball!"
I believe most teams have a locker room leader that maybe doesn't do as much as he once did on the field, but can still pull the players together.

#12 : February 07, 2007, 10:42:35 PM

Sowell train could not oust Alstott, so that tells you how valuable he is...

Alstott is not a bad FB.

The Bucs have bigger fish to fry, and signing him to a 1 year deal, a small deal, is more valuable to the team (as a leader), than it does to hurt it. Alstott ran over Springs earlier in the year, and it was AWESOME! It pumped the entire team up! He has his uses...
I'm not disagreeing, but we need another FB to do the jumbo backfield and a 7th or UDFA like Latsko or McClain would do the gig.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 07, 2007, 10:44:19 PM

Fonoti would have helped in those cases.  For the most part, Alstott is a reliable 1-2 yard grinder...Seattle game aside...

#14 : February 07, 2007, 10:45:40 PM

Fonoti would have helped in those cases. For the most part, Alstott is a reliable 1-2 yard grinder...Seattle game aside...
Fonoti, God bless him, isn't a fullback though he could've been used as a third TE.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article On Alstott's Possible Return « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools