Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Carlson Analyzes The Quarterbacks « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

MoCheeks

Rookie

: June 18, 2009, 11:30:35 AM

Apparently Jeff Carlson has been at practices and broke down the QBs. Interesting take on Leftwich. He makes the guy sound like Gradkowski's a ProBowler. I don't know if I'm this onboard with Freeman but it's good to read about his progress.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=12025

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 18, 2009, 11:41:10 AM

Pretty accurate comments:

"Neither Luke McCown nor Byron Leftwich have taken command in any substantial way. They certainly don’t have the star presence of a starter."

"If you took their numbers off the quarterbacks jerseys and had an objective, independent evaluator watching the QBs together, Byron Leftwich would be behind Brian Griese on the depth chart."

techstar25

Starter

#2 : June 18, 2009, 11:50:59 AM

Speaking of Josh Johnson:

"..., he has an incredible whip to his ball and if that independent and objective evaluator was just watching the talent at practice, Johnson would come in at the No. 2 spot on his depth chart."

Not sure if that's good or bad news.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 18, 2009, 11:57:51 AM

Johnson had a good day yesterday with limited reps. I like Jeff Carlson a lot and respect his opinion, but I think Jeff's only seen one practice this entire offseason, which was Wednesday morning, so his commentary might be best taken with a grain of salt. There have been times when Johnson has lit it up and you've wanted to see more, and there has been some times where he looks like the fourth-string QB, too.

calicojack

Starter
#4 : June 18, 2009, 12:03:16 PM

Johnson had a good day yesterday with limited reps. I like Jeff Carlson a lot and respect his opinion, but I think Jeff's only seen one practice this entire offseason, which was Wednesday morning, so his commentary might be best taken with a grain of salt. There have been times when Johnson has lit it up and you've wanted to see more, and there has been some times where he looks like the fourth-string QB, too.

Thanks!  I'd already come to the conclusion that he had only seen one practice based on his evaluation of Leftwich.

The Dream Team

#5 : June 18, 2009, 12:08:12 PM

One of these cats needs to gain consistency.

I said it somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised if our QB roster at the beginning of the season is:

1. Luke McCown
2. Josh Freeman
3. Josh Johnson

Lol - what if we had the other McCown - We'd have Josh, Josh and Josh as our QB corps.  (Just joshin' ya.)

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 18, 2009, 12:09:12 PM

I'm starting to be under the impression most buc fans would rather see Johnson beat out Leftwhich. And all I can say is, where were you guys?

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 18, 2009, 12:12:16 PM

At least he's been to one practice...  that's more than the national media who comments on our QB situation.

SR... speaking of... have you seen anyone from the national media at any practices this spring/summer?

vladin

Starter

#8 : June 18, 2009, 12:15:11 PM

At some point we need to acknowledge that Leftwich was indeed a smoke screen signing, or at best, a hedge incase McCown totally blew chunks and we didn't get the QB we were after in the draft.  But at some point, and the sooner the better, the Bucs knuckleheads-in-charge have to say "McCown is our guy to start the season, Lefty will be released to catch on with another team, and Freeman will go in as the backup with Johnson at #3".  That way, Freeman can get plenty of reps in training camp.  If he's not getting the quality reps that McCown and Lefty are, and the coaches are beginning to talk acceleration, then McCown or Lefty has to go.. and given the contract situation and what we've read about in OTA's, it has to be Lefty.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 18, 2009, 12:19:35 PM

Agreed.  I think Leftwich gets chucked out to pasture...

calicojack

Starter
#10 : June 18, 2009, 12:20:09 PM

So, you want to go into the season with a collection of QBs with one win between them?  I'd rather see Leftwich as Freeman's mentor, with the rookie starting.

The Dream Team

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#11 : June 18, 2009, 12:32:51 PM

So, you want to go into the season with a collection of QBs with one win between them?  I'd rather see Leftwich as Freeman's mentor, with the rookie starting.

There's no mentor on this team now for Freeman, certainly not a former 1st round bust that no team wanted to let compete to start. Once again there's no reason to let anybody but Freeman start for the Bucs.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 18, 2009, 12:34:18 PM

At some point we need to acknowledge that Leftwich was indeed a smoke screen signing, or at best, a hedge incase McCown totally blew chunks and we didn't get the QB we were after in the draft. But at some point, and the sooner the better, the Bucs knuckleheads-in-charge have to say "McCown is our guy to start the season, Lefty will be released to catch on with another team, and Freeman will go in as the backup with Johnson at #3". That way, Freeman can get plenty of reps in training camp. If he's not getting the quality reps that McCown and Lefty are, and the coaches are beginning to talk acceleration, then McCown or Lefty has to go.. and given the contract situation and what we've read about in OTA's, it has to be Lefty.

I'd be good with that.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 18, 2009, 12:36:39 PM

So, you want to go into the season with a collection of QBs with one win between them? �I'd rather see Leftwich as Freeman's mentor, with the rookie starting.

Mentor?   Really?!?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 18, 2009, 12:39:05 PM

I can see Lefty now....

"Slow down that wind up, kid! Way too fast. Do it like this..."
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Carlson Analyzes The Quarterbacks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools