Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

: June 20, 2009, 01:01:36 AM

What point? If OU was in the SEC would they have finished 2nd? Whole lot of variables, but I doubt it.

Oklahoma could finish 2nd in the SEC

Sorry, I meant University of Oregon, UO?

And I think they would have finished 3rd or 4th in the SEC depending on all the schedule variables.

Oklahoma, I think, would not have beat Bama, and would have struggled against Ole Miss and LSU. we saw what UF's D did to them, now multiply that.

that schedule variable is what I cant stand. Often times teams have 1 or 2 games and the rest are gimmes.

One thing the Pac-10 has right is the scheduling

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 20, 2009, 12:38:18 AM

What point? If OU was in the SEC would they have finished 2nd? Whole lot of variables, but I doubt it.

Oklahoma could finish 2nd in the SEC

Sorry, I meant University of Oregon, UO?

And I think they would have finished 3rd or 4th in the SEC depending on all the schedule variables.

Oklahoma, I think, would not have beat Bama, and would have struggled against Ole Miss and LSU. we saw what UF's D did to them, now multiply that.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 19, 2009, 06:39:42 PM

Thanks Ted Miller, for making my point

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-9-91/Post-vacation-mailbag--Oregon-finishes-second-in-SEC.html

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 19, 2009, 06:55:54 PM

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-9-91/Post-vacation-mailbag--Oregon-finishes-second-in-SEC.html

The whole thing is predicated on Utah being able to beat Alabama, which you yourself admitted to being a fluke.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 19, 2009, 07:14:36 PM

Wow - that was actually pretty plausible.

But then you have to account for a streaky team like Ole Miss - they were beaten by Vanderbilt and Alabama but smashed Texas Tech (who had trashed Oklahoma State 56-20) in the Cotton Bowl (Ole miss 47 - Texas Tech 34).

I think I just made the point that the SEC's 4th best team was better than the PAC-10's 2nd best team...

...and I HATE the SEC...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 19, 2009, 07:33:29 PM

But then you have to account for a streaky team like Ole Miss - they were beaten by Vanderbilt and Alabama but smashed Texas Tech (who had trashed Oklahoma State 56-20) in the Cotton Bowl (Ole miss 47 - Texas Tech 34).

I think I just made the point that the SEC's 4th best team was better than the PAC-10's 2nd best team...

...and I HATE the SEC...

Exactly.  Predicating everything off that one bowl game where Utah had everything to play for and Bama didn't, is a bit of a stretch. 

Utah won, congrats to them...but I don't think it means Oregon would finish 2nd in the SEC. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 19, 2009, 08:59:53 PM

First, would they be in the SEC East or West? If the East, would they have beat UF, UGa, SC? and who would their 3 west games be, MSU, Ark, and Auburn or Bama, LSU, Ole Miss? or what? Same if they are in the west, do they beat LSU and Ole Miss and bama?

I think most everyone will agree, OU would not have beaten UF, so if they were in the East they couldn't have finished 2nd. So if they were in the west, could they have beaten Bama and either LSU or Ole Miss (or both) and 3 teams from the East and you can't just pick the 3 worst. Using Bama's schedule, could OU have beaten UGA and Tenn on the road (and UK). I'd say they would not have beaten Bama, and would have lost to one of UGA, LSU, Ole Miss. That puts them 3rd at best. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 19, 2009, 09:14:05 PM

...and I HATE the SEC...

Oregon beat Oklahoma State and actually dominated them in the 2nd half stopping them 8 out of 10 possesions. So I dont know what they had to do with it. Oregon beat Okie State on a neutral field

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 19, 2009, 09:15:12 PM

The whole thing is predicated on Utah being able to beat Alabama, which you yourself admitted to being a fluke.

Utah had everything to play for Vs Oregon State. They had to beat OSU to have any chance at a BCS bowl. That game at the time was just as important as any. And if OSU had a kicker they win that game

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 19, 2009, 09:17:14 PM

My argument is SEC isnt so far ahead of other conferences like others think. And the pac-10 can hang with anyone and it shows in non conference games. The comments on Ted Millers argument are great... gotta love SEC fan (Georgia fan mainly) blow a headcasket that maybe a team out west was >.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 19, 2009, 09:17:32 PM

I take nothing away from Oregon - they had a great season. I just don't think there is a better conference - top to bottom - than the SEC.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

LFO

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 19, 2009, 09:19:21 PM

My argument is SEC isnt so far ahead of other conferences like others think. And the pac-10 can hang with anyone and it shows in non conference games. The comments on Ted Millers argument are great... gotta love SEC fan (Georgia fan mainly) blow a headcasket that maybe a team out west was >.

I think the SEC is more of a "grind" than the other conferences.  Even the lesser teams you often see upset at least 1 team each year.  Then every year you have teams come out of nowhere like Ole Miss last year and can beat anyone.  

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 19, 2009, 09:29:27 PM

Utah had everything to play for Vs Oregon State. They had to beat OSU to have any chance at a BCS bowl. That game at the time was just as important as any. And if OSU had a kicker they win that game

Your own arguments regarding Utah and their win over Alabama:

If you think Utah is the best team in the country... you live in a coma or just watched the Bama game.

Say whatever you like, they went undefeated, won their bowl game against a Bama team that was ranked #1 for 5 weeks, and beat 4 ranked teams throughout the season. 

No one can blame you for sticking your head in the sand and not wanting to be realistic and come to the truth that college football is a sham.  Of course getting beat by Boise St. had to be pretty tough as well since they are a nobody school, from a nobobdy program?

Too funny.

lets talk these ranked teams

One was OSU... whos only quality win was USC, who was overrated, who Utah at home had to beat on a last second FG
Other was BYU... who didnt beat one good team this year, where Max Hall had 5 INT vs Utah

1 quality win TCU, and that came just as easily could have gone to TCU and IMO TCU outplayed them

Thats funny did you watch Utah vs OSU, Utah vs BYU, Utah vs TCU like I did?

Probably not...

Becuase if you did, you wouldnt be saying their a natl champs team let alone top 3.

Now, all of the sudden, Utah's victory over Alabama was legit.  Interesting.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 19, 2009, 10:05:24 PM

I think most everyone will agree, OU would not have beaten UF,

I'm sure most everyone would have agreed that Ole Miss wouldn't have beaten UF BEFORE they played, also ......

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 19, 2009, 10:09:32 PM

My argument is SEC isnt so far ahead of other conferences like others think. And the pac-10 can hang with anyone and it shows in non conference games.[/b]

And the problem is that you can't really say that about SEC teams because most don't play that many challenging non-conference games ..... for whatever the reason.... do they?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools