Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 19, 2009, 10:14:42 PM

My argument is SEC isnt so far ahead of other conferences like others think. And the pac-10 can hang with anyone and it shows in non conference games.

And the problem is that you can't really say that about SEC teams because most don't play that many challenging non-conference games ..... for whatever the reason.... do they?

Florida plays Florida State.

Oh wait, you said challenging......

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 19, 2009, 10:56:56 PM

I take nothing away from Oregon - they had a great season. I just don't think there is a better conference - top to bottom - than the SEC.

year in and year out I agree.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 19, 2009, 10:58:43 PM

My argument is SEC isnt so far ahead of other conferences like others think. And the pac-10 can hang with anyone and it shows in non conference games.

And the problem is that you can't really say that about SEC teams because most don't play that many challenging non-conference games ..... for whatever the reason.... do they?
nope. LSU is playing Washington thats problem one of the biggest non conference SEC games and thats sad

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 19, 2009, 11:00:10 PM

What point? If OU was in the SEC would they have finished 2nd? Whole lot of variables, but I doubt it.

Oklahoma could finish 2nd in the SEC

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 20, 2009, 03:46:26 AM

Wow - that was actually pretty plausible.

But then you have to account for a streaky team like Ole Miss - they were beaten by Vanderbilt and Alabama but smashed Texas Tech (who had trashed Oklahoma State 56-20) in the Cotton Bowl (Ole miss 47 - Texas Tech 34).

I think I just made the point that the SEC's 4th best team was better than the PAC-10's 2nd best team...

...and I HATE the SEC...

Oregon beat Oklahoma State and actually dominated them in the 2nd half stopping them 8 out of 10 possesions. So I dont know what they had to do with it. Oregon beat Okie State on a neutral field

Yes - that's the point - Oklahoma State was pummeled by Texas Tech, then the 4th best team in the SEC pummeled Texas Tech - worse than Oregon pummeling.

That argument goes round and round - it can be argued but comparing strength of schedule of opponents, or defeats of similar opponents - just can't be proven.

I understand your frustration, I really do. I actually feel your pain in a way that is unique to a Buckeye who has lived in the land of the SEC for over 30 years...but they play some tough football and they ALL fish from the same Florida ponds...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : June 20, 2009, 11:16:38 AM

Yes - that's the point - Oklahoma State was pummeled by Texas Tech, then the 4th best team in the SEC pummeled Texas Tech - worse than Oregon pummeling.

I'd say a pummeling is a pummeling. If one team won by 24 and the other by 40, that doesn't reflect on the quality of the team as much as HC decisions. If one team decides to pull its starters when up by 20 and play some younger guys, that doesn't mean they aren't as good as the team that keeps the starters in and runs up the score.

Florida beat Vandy by 28 and beat UGa by 39, that doesn't mean Vandy is better than UGa, just that Meyer though Georgia was owed some payback.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 20, 2009, 01:50:49 PM

Wow - that was actually pretty plausible.

But then you have to account for a streaky team like Ole Miss - they were beaten by Vanderbilt and Alabama but smashed Texas Tech (who had trashed Oklahoma State 56-20) in the Cotton Bowl (Ole miss 47 - Texas Tech 34).

I think I just made the point that the SEC's 4th best team was better than the PAC-10's 2nd best team...

...and I HATE the SEC...

Oregon beat Oklahoma State and actually dominated them in the 2nd half stopping them 8 out of 10 possesions. So I dont know what they had to do with it. Oregon beat Okie State on a neutral field

That argument goes round and round - it can be argued but comparing strength of schedule of opponents, or defeats of similar opponents - just can't be proven.

I understand your frustration, I really do. I actually feel your pain in a way that is unique to a Buckeye who has lived in the land of the SEC for over 30 years...but they play some tough football and they ALL fish from the same Florida ponds...

It was at TT. It would be a solid argument if they smashed them at OSU.

Utah killed bama on neutral field...
Oregon State lost AT Utah (although stats shows OSU beat themselves)
Oregon put 65 points on Oregon state on the road

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 20, 2009, 02:09:12 PM

Bama played 2 teams worth a damn all year... @ UGA @ LSU. The rest gimmes
Arkansas played 1 good team and it was a Big 12 team... the rest gimmes
Auburn played 3 (WVU, LSU and Bama)
LSU played 1
etc

Its usually 1 or 2 game seasons for a lot of teams. I dont buy the excuse you gotta play easy OOC because the SEC is tough

non conference last year SEC vs ACC was 4-6...

Big 12... 0-1

Big East 1-1

Big Ten 0-0

Pac-10 1-1

Conf USA 8-0 congrats

Mac 3-0

Wac 1-1

MWC 0-1

Sun Belt 8-0

Independent 2-0

I-AA 9-0

So let me get this straight... they are roughly .500 vs the decent conference? What does that say?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 20, 2009, 02:18:20 PM

My gawd, it's amusing to see how much your tune has changed regarding the Alabama/Utah game now that it benefits Oregon in an argument.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 20, 2009, 02:22:21 PM

My gawd, it's amusing to see how much your tune has changed regarding the Alabama/Utah game now that it benefits Oregon in an argument.

it hasnt changed... but the 2nd best SEC team in such a deep challenging conference should put up a better fight than Oregon State did.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 20, 2009, 02:22:31 PM

Maybe I've missed the explanation but how can one use the Ole Miss/TT bowl game as a quantifier for anything when the Utah/Bama game is being thrown out as not indicative of anything. Who says TT wasn't just as disappointed to be where they were as Alabama supposedly was?

Not saying the SEC isn't a good conference but I'm not sure they are God's gift to college football either due to the fact that the majority of their prowess is exemplified by beating other SEC teams ....

Edited: Wrote this before seeing OBF's post and that even brings it out more.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 20, 2009, 02:23:30 PM

its not about Oregon its about the SEC. It hides behind the SEC scheduling when in reality most teams have a 2 game year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 20, 2009, 02:31:13 PM

it hasnt changed... but the 2nd best SEC team in such a deep challenging conference should put up a better fight than Oregon State did.

The 2nd best team in the PAC 10 should be able to beat a Boise State team that lost to a TCU team that lost to that Utah team.

I love these zany offshoots.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 20, 2009, 02:35:23 PM

its not about Oregon its about the SEC. It hides behind the SEC scheduling when in reality most teams have a 2 game year.

The SEC won more bowl games than the PAC 10 had participants.  The SEC has had the National Champion for the last three years.  The SEC hides behind nothing.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 20, 2009, 04:05:20 PM

Jealousy's a **CENSORED**.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools