Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 20, 2009, 04:13:21 PM

My gawd, it's amusing to see how much your tune has changed regarding the Alabama/Utah game now that it benefits Oregon in an argument.

it hasnt changed... but the 2nd best SEC team in such a deep challenging conference should put up a better fight than Oregon State did.

The 2nd best team in the PAC 10 should be able to beat a Boise State team that lost to a TCU team that lost to that Utah team.

I love these zany offshoots.

The 2nd best Pac-10 shouldnt put more yards up than any SEC team with a QB who came to school in July and had backup QB reps in practice. Sad.

Yeah its sad a true freshmen who only threw the ball 4 times (twice INT) stayed so close to Boise State. Dont worry we'll beat Utah this year... and Boise St

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#31 : June 20, 2009, 07:18:34 PM

My gawd, it's amusing to see how much your tune has changed regarding the Alabama/Utah game now that it benefits Oregon in an argument.

its not about Oregon its about the SEC. It hides behind the SEC scheduling when in reality most teams have a 2 game year.

I have to laugh at this thread you're actually comparing Oregon to South Eastern Football. You guys would get worked in the ACC

Bring them ducks down to DA U

We'll introduce you to football down in the South East

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 20, 2009, 08:32:02 PM

Bama played 2 teams worth a damn all year... @ UGA @ LSU. The rest gimmes

They beat #14 Ole Miss, #13 UGA, LSU, and Clemson at a neutral site. How is that only 2?

Arkansas played 1 good team and it was a Big 12 team... the rest gimmes

Bama, UF, Ole Miss, and LSU are now gimmies? You just wrote that LSU was "worth a damn"

Auburn played 3 (WVU, LSU and Bama)

AND Georgia, and at Ole Miss,

LSU played 1

Which? UF, UGA, Bama, or Ole Miss?

Its usually 1 or 2 game seasons for a lot of teams. I dont buy the excuse you gotta play easy OOC because the SEC is tough

non conference last year SEC vs ACC was 4-6...

Big 12... 0-1

Big East 1-1

Big Ten 0-0

Pac-10 1-1

Conf USA 8-0 congrats

Mac 3-0

Wac 1-1

MWC 0-1

Sun Belt 8-0

Independent 2-0

I-AA 9-0

So let me get this straight... they are roughly .500 vs the decent conference? What does that say?

Nothing really. If the bottom 3 teams went 0-fer out of conference, that drags down the average. Gotta drill into those numbers more to make any conclusion.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 20, 2009, 11:14:55 PM

Nothing really. If the bottom 3 teams went 0-fer out of conference, that drags down the average. Gotta drill into those numbers more to make any conclusion.

If the bottom 3 went 0fer out of conference that would maybe help tarnish the myth of the SEC being the best top to bottom, wouldn't it?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 20, 2009, 11:39:44 PM

its not about Oregon its about the SEC. It hides behind the SEC scheduling when in reality most teams have a 2 game year.

I have to laugh at this thread you're actually comparing Oregon to South Eastern Football. You guys would get worked in the ACC

Im spitting up on myself laughing hahahahahahaha. Didnt you guys lose to Cal in a bowl game this year?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 20, 2009, 11:40:51 PM

If the bottom 3 went 0fer out of conference that would maybe help tarnish the myth of the SEC being the best top to bottom, wouldn't it?

exactly.

The pac-10 worst team plays the hardest non conference schedule in the country almost every year

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 20, 2009, 11:52:15 PM

Only if they were losing to bottom-tier teams from other conferences, which they weren't.  That's what "Top to Bottom" means -  Top teams against top teams and bottom teams against bottom teams.

The worst team in the SEC - Miss. State lost to Ga. Tech, the tied for the second best record in the ACC and to LA Tech, the 2nd best team in the WAC.
The 2nd worst team in the SEC - Arkansas lost to Texas, the second best team in the Big 12
The other 2nd worst team in the SEC -  Auburn lost to West Virginia, the second best team in the Big East

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#37 : June 21, 2009, 09:33:01 AM

Im spitting up on myself laughing hahahahahahaha. Didnt you guys lose to Cal in a bowl game this year?

Dont make to much of a mess with that actually Cal beat Miami last year.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#38 : June 21, 2009, 09:37:50 AM

Also your comparing the west coast to the east coast. Teams in the southeast constantly groom home grown talent especially from the state of Florida. Even your Ducks travel cross country to recruit Florida talent. Seems USC has the west coast on lock down.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#39 : June 21, 2009, 12:43:43 PM

No, for reasons Biggs pointed out.

And I wouldn't have argued that the SEC was the Best, top to bottom, last year. Two of the more talent rich, high profile teams (Auburn and UT) had major coaching implosions, Arkansas was breaking in a new coach, and Miss State well they just always suck.

I'd say last year top to bottom, the Big 12 was better with TT, Mizzou, OK State, having surprisingly good years.

In '06 and '07 the SEC was the best, not last year. This year, ask me in December.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 21, 2009, 01:19:58 PM

My argument for the SEC being perennially the best is the number of programs that have won a title. In the last 30 years, UGa, LSU, UT, UF, Bama, and Auburn* (this one is debatable but come on they earned it) have all won BCS or MNC titles. Even if you discount Auburn, what other conference has had 5 different teams finish #1?

The Big 12 (Texas, Ok, Nebraska) and the Big 10 (OSU, UM, PSU) have had 3, The ACC and PAC 10 have had 2.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 21, 2009, 02:37:40 PM

^^^that's where I am^^^

Incomparable sig by Incognito

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#42 : June 21, 2009, 06:18:36 PM

My argument for the SEC being perennially the best is the number of programs that have won a title. In the last 30 years, UGa, LSU, UT, UF, Bama, and Auburn* (this one is debatable but come on they earned it) have all won BCS or MNC titles. Even if you discount Auburn, what other conference has had 5 different teams finish #1?

The Big 12 (Texas, Ok, Nebraska) and the Big 10 (OSU, UM, PSU) have had 3, The ACC and PAC 10 have had 2.

Miami has 5. More then any program in the last 30 years. Since oregon dude is comparing pac 10 or anything west of the Mississippi river to south eastern football.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 21, 2009, 08:07:51 PM

Miami has 5. More then any program in the last 30 years.

What does that have to do with anything? The point was DIFFERENT teams from the same conference.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 21, 2009, 10:54:03 PM

Since joining a conference Miami and Florida State have regressed. I wonder if the need drove Miami & FSU's great championship seasons? Since joining a conference they now share the revenue each team in the conference generates - now they don't have to continually emphasize excellence - they just each live off of the excellence of others....?

Of course I am leaving out how much the costs have increased over the past 20 to 30 years - even more reason to be involved in a BCS conference - revenue streams are multiplied by the other teams.

Only the SEC has maintained it's strangle hold & dominance, some programs have faded ('Bama) while others have risen to national prominence (Florida) - but the conference continues to crank out several powerhouses over numerous decades.

Incomparable sig by Incognito
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The SEC MYTH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools