Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who What Where When and Why not Gaines Adams DE « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

: February 08, 2007, 11:31:53 AM

If Gaines Adams is the best Defender on the board. Why not draft Gaines Adams.

Does any of you have an opinion on him.
personaly I don't know much about him or the style of defence Clemson ran

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 08, 2007, 11:34:44 AM

Gaines! Gaines! Gaines!

He makes baby kittens cry and Hollywood snobs drown in their tears!

Gaines in my opinion is one of the better DE's in this draft.  He is simply a disruptor when he lines up at LDE or RDE.  He is a fighter and has a knack for making big plays.  Very dynamic player.

I think Anderson after the combine will most likely lay claim to being the best defender in this draft but Gaines is no cream puff.  The guy can flat out attack.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 08, 2007, 11:35:46 AM

Because the TAmpa 2 is prediated on preasure up the MIDDLE!

Shag

Pro Bowler

#3 : February 08, 2007, 11:40:52 AM

Because the TAmpa 2 is prediated on preasure up the MIDDLE!

Then of course ends that can force the QB to step up.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 08, 2007, 11:42:44 AM

Gaines! Gaines!  Gaines! I would love to have Gaines. I would go as far to say that if do draft him, Rice is as good as gone.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 08, 2007, 11:45:03 AM

Everyone is hooked on new hotness with Okoye and dreams of Sapp II dancing in their heads. This defense #1 with nothing good going on at the UT spot in 2005 so it isn't like it can't work w/o that spot.

While I'd love to have a great UT Adams > Okoye right now and so I'd much rather have him than Okoye or Anderson.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 08, 2007, 11:51:17 AM

You take the best player available here, and Gaines > Okoye.  We've got Sapp on the brain, but as much as I like Okoye, he's not Sapp. Okoye's a lot of potential, great attitude, and good athleticism. Sapp was a proven star, and a freak athlete.

The bottom line is we need guys who can create havoc along the line - Passing on Gaines because he doesn't play UT would be a big mistake.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 08, 2007, 11:53:07 AM

This defense was #1 with nothing good going on at the UT spot in 2005 so it isn't like it can't work w/o that spot.

That's deceptive, though, because even though we were #1 in yards allowed, we were very poor in the impact plays (sacks, TOs) that gave the team so much success in the past.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#8 : February 08, 2007, 11:54:54 AM

I think we need a guy that be disruptive on passing plays.  I think Gaines is the man for the job. Its why we brought Rice in a few years back.  Rice is done and we need his replacement--Gaines is the man.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 08, 2007, 11:56:11 AM

Gaines Adams is more coveted by many GM's I'm sure. However if you think of things in this rationale, that being that how many great talents at UT are available and how many impact DE's are out there. Okoye is a rarity in any draft IMHO and a highly touted rush DE is not. I know the whole deal with how important a DE is to a defense and it is. But I look at it this way. I would take Okoye and Abiamiri or Woodley (for example) all day long over Adams and who at DT...

The only other option at DT is Marcus Thomas as far as a penetrating pocket destroying DT.

Look at our defense and you tell me where the MAJOR whole is...Its at DT. We have Wyms and Hovan and literally nothing...

We still have Rice unless he is moved and we could still bring back White. FA Will predicate what will happen but as of today we have a major hole at UT and we have the ability to potientially plug that whole with a premium player. If we drafted Adams then great, we would have Adams and Rice (ok that is great) and Hovan and Wyms (that is not a good idea)

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 08, 2007, 11:57:06 AM

This defense was #1 with nothing good going on at the UT spot in 2005 so it isn't like it can't work w/o that spot.

That's deceptive, though, because even though we were #1 in yards allowed, we were very poor in the impact plays (sacks, TOs) that gave the team so much success in the past.

We need to get better at UT, no doubt. We need someone more explosive but we can function as a prolific championship level defense w/o it -- or for that matter without the big time DE as 1999 showed-- we don't need one over the other but one OR the other. In this case the best DE > best UT but if DE = UT then I'm on the same page as you.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 08, 2007, 11:57:42 AM

I think we need a guy that be disruptive on passing plays. I think Gaines is the man for the job. Its why we brought Rice in a few years back. Rice is done and we need his replacement--Gaines is the man.

I disagree. I think we brought in Rice because we knew that Rices incredible outside speed rush would be the perfect compliment to Sapps inside pocket disruption.

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 08, 2007, 11:59:13 AM

Look at our defense and you tell me where the MAJOR whole is...Its at DT. We have Wyms and Hovan and literally nothing...

Rice and Spires are one year players at this point and one or the other and maybe both get lunched this year. We've got nada behind them and even if you keep White we saw this year that he's not Rice II, he's Spires II. We've got looming issues at DE as well. Okoye just isn't that good a player based on his film. Don't let a good week in Mobile outweight who he really was all year nor ignore what Adams was all year.

Mellow

Starter

#13 : February 08, 2007, 12:02:54 PM

As I posted in another thread (sorry for the redundancy), BAP is almost always mixed with positional needs.  I'm certain the Bucs prioritize positions, which can be seen in the salaries guys receive.  For example, SLB has historically been a low-priority position that's been filled with replacable parts (Singletary, Quarles, Gold, Nece . . . ) at near the vets minimum.  On the other hand, as Pewter Report explained several years back, the Bucs defense has three critical positions: SS (Lynch), WLB (Brooks), and UT (Sapp).   Since all three have badly declined since the glory days, it seems that at least ONE of them needs to be replenished in this draft or FA.  Of those three, I think UT is the hardest to fill in FA and that's why so many people are hot on Okoye.

As to DE, Adams is a nice player but DE is more of a complementary piece to the defense and can almost always be addressed (at a price) in FA.  Look at the list of FA DE's who have changed teams in the past few years: Abraham, Kearse, Douglas (just off the top of my head; are probably more).  So maybe the best strategy is to address UT in the draft, where it almost has to be addressed, and bit the bullet and pay the big bucs for the complementary DE--just like they way they did with Simeon Rice 6 years ago.

I agree with Dalbuc, the Bucs need both.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 08, 2007, 12:03:06 PM

Rice and Spires are one year players at this point and one or the other and maybe both get lunched this year. We've got nada behind them and even if you keep White we saw this year that he's not Rice II, he's Spires II. We've got looming issues at DE as well. Okoye just isn't that good a player based on his film. Don't let a good week in Mobile outweight who he really was all year nor ignore what Adams was all year.

That is true as well. But I look at it in these terms. How many good rush DE's are there in this draft, maybe 5-7? How many good rush DT's are there, maybe 1-3? I am not against addressing the DE position one bit but I am for addressing them BOTH.

Dal, I live in Louisville and have followed okoye all year. Promise I'm not wearing the goggles on Okoye. He caught my eye week one agianst UK and knowing our shortcomings on this team at DT kept me intersted in his game.

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who What Where When and Why not Gaines Adams DE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools