Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do We Survive Death? Can the Dead Communicate with Us? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#15 : June 25, 2009, 04:28:16 PM

Miyagi:  No secret? Could you educate me?  Guess I haven't heard it...

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 25, 2009, 04:46:33 PM

Miyagi: No secret? Could you educate me? Guess I haven't heard it...
At best, he is a "cold reader".

Editing of his show, audience plants, wiring of the audience before taping of the show

There's tons out there. Just google "John Edward fraud".

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 25, 2009, 04:54:05 PM

BTW Joe mentioned the Edwards at Arizona test. Yes, he was tested at UofA and here's the way the tests went:

The scientist in this feature did a study where he compared the abilities of psychics, including Edward, and students from his university in Arizona. The psychics in the test did their routine with subjects trying to make contact with the dead, while the students were given a set list of questions to ask the subjects. The psychics performed better than the students in getting "accurate" information.

Good psychics are good cold readers, they'd better get a better "hit" rate than a series of pre-planned questions from amateurs.

He generated one "big" hit when he talked about the ring from a dead father from the NBC cameraman that blew everyone away. Problem was he later admitted that he'd gotten the info from talking to the cameraman.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 25, 2009, 05:27:41 PM

Kind of hard to perform cold reading when you can't see or hear the person getting the reading. Somebody who knew the details of the later testing would know that.

There is zero evidence that Edward uses plants or wires the audience to gather info. Only speculation. Edward is getting some accurate info. So, he MUST be using plants or listening in on the audience!

There's so much more to the Schwartz experiments. Dalbuc is woefully uninformed (again) on the amount of testing that went on and how the tests were carried out. If you're interested, read, "The Afterlife Experiments." Or, you can listen to numerous interviews Schwartz has given on YouTube. Or watch the early experiments, featured in that documentary that I linked to.

Even if we throw out the work of Edward, there are plenty of other mediums who have been tested over the past century and baffled the skeptics. As I said in my other post, Leonora Piper is one of them. Award winning science writer, Deborah Blum wrote an excellent book on the subject of mediums and the scientists who studied them. Piper was focused on in a large part of that book. It's called, "Ghost Hunters" but it's not about ghost hunting. Great read.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 25, 2009, 05:54:29 PM

Lets ask Michael Jackson

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 25, 2009, 06:19:39 PM

even if we throw out the work of Edward
To take any of this seriously, you have to throw out his crap.

He's a fraud. It bums me out that you would think otherwise, Joe.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 25, 2009, 06:21:15 PM

Kind of hard to perform cold reading when you can't see or hear the person getting the reading. Somebody who knew the details of the later testing would know that.

Oh Joe, it is so sad to have to keep doing this to you.

Cold reading has nada to do with seeing or hearing the person. I can do a cold reading on IM if I want- and frankly have.

Schwartz's "figures" rely on the perceived accuracy of the sitters and their judgements and Schwartz's screen methods were hardly what one would call rigorous. For example, one woman scored a "hit" in information based on the description of a "Father figure with an H or an N"...and said that matched her husband, Henry. Good news father figure = husband. You go fishing with an H or an N and guess what, my dad joHN shows up. Guess how many of your male relatives - any of whoich could be a father figure if they have kids- has an H or N sound.

Schwartz also selected from a pool of people heavily disposed to accept mediums. Unshockingly even he has to admit the "accuracy" ratings from sitters who are not so favorably disposed are much lower. Could it be that, like all mediums know, those who want to be suckered will believe anything? The bias of the subject is obvious but Schwartz relies on claimining that some subjects are just "bad test material".

His last bout he had a more clever set up where the readers actually mailed 2 readings to people and they had to pick the reading for them (one was a reading the psychic did for them and the other for another person). The theory being that if the sitters were causing selection bias then they should get a neutral reading. They used 2 scales - pick the reading for you and rate hits and misses. 4 of the 6 picked the right reading but that is hardly out of the realm of a margin for error (with only 6 sitters the margins here are a joke anyways) but the hits and misses were statistically inconsequential. The authors of the study admit that for the overall data, "there was no apparent evidence of a reliable anomalous information retrieval effect."

Even in this the study continued to be lousy because, for example, on of his raters gave the following statement a "Dazzle" score (all statements were rated hit, miss or Sazzle). "And then I could feel like what I thought was like a divine presence and the feeling of a name Mary or Bob or Robert." Really? The most common names in America are a dazzle? The same rater called this statement, a dazzler, " "I had the feeling of a presence of an Aunt.". Really, wow you dazzled me with that one.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 25, 2009, 06:22:36 PM

There is zero evidence that Edward uses plants or wires the audience to gather info. Only speculation. Edward is getting some accurate info. So, he MUST be using plants or listening in on the audience!

No, what we know if that his shows take hours and hours to film and what survives the cutting room is 43 minutes of that so what he does is pure fishing that gets pruned down to make him look good.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 25, 2009, 06:32:27 PM

From Wiki and a pretty good description of cold reading...

Cold reading is a series of techniques used by mentalists, fortune tellers, psychics, and mediums to determine details about another person in order to convince them that the reader knows much more about a subject than they actually do. Without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by analyzing the person's body language, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.

So, Dalbuc, explain to me how you cold read a person with ZERO feedback? For the first part of the latter experiments, Edward and the other mediums were not able to see the person getting the reading and they were not allowed to get ANY feedback at all.

Cold reading? LOL. Are you really that ignorant?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 25, 2009, 06:34:57 PM

No, what we know if that his shows take hours and hours to film and what survives the cutting room is 43 minutes of that so what he does is pure fishing that gets pruned down to make him look good.

Like I said, no evidence that he used plants or listens in on the audience. Do they edit the show? Gee, you think? LOL.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 25, 2009, 07:02:09 PM

So, Dalbuc, explain to me how you cold read a person with ZERO feedback? For the first part of the latter experiments, Edward and the other mediums were not able to see the person getting the reading and they were not allowed to get ANY feedback at all.

Cold reading? LOL. Are you really that ignorant?

Yes Joe, it was only the last series where the readers were kept away from the subjects, the first 4 series they were doing straight cold readings. In the last what you see in the transcripts is that they are just doing a cold read w/o any feedback - the same "I'm getting an H or an N" or "I'm getting the names Mary, Joe or Robert". stuff but without the "help" from the sitter to guide them in.

You wonder why none of these folks ever starts off with "I'm getting a Xeres or Molechai" type comment?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 25, 2009, 07:03:05 PM

Like I said, no evidence that he used plants or listens in on the audience. Do they edit the show? Gee, you think? LOL.

Odd, what do you think they leave on the cutting room floor? Think all his misses and wild fishing trips get on camera....nope.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 25, 2009, 07:08:57 PM

Editing of his show, audience plants, wiring of the audience before taping of the show

Sounds like Benny Hinn ...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 25, 2009, 07:11:11 PM

Sounds like Benny Hinn ...

Same gag, different bad suit.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 25, 2009, 07:17:37 PM

There's no God yet somehow we survive death and communicate with the living. Now thats evolution baby!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do We Survive Death? Can the Dead Communicate with Us? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools