Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Phillips to be offered Dallas job? « previous next »
Page: 1

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
: February 08, 2007, 12:44:39 PM

FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago     

Wade Phillips appeared set to become the coach of the Dallas Cowboys, according to several reports.

Despite a Cowboys spokesman saying Thursday the job hadn't been filled, there were several reports that Phillips was to succeed Bill Parcells, who retired Jan. 22.

"The job hasn't been offered to anyone," said Rich Dalrymple, the team's public relations director.

Dalrymple also said there were no plans yet for any announcement concerning the coaching vacancy.

When Phillips' agent, Gary O'Hagan, was reached on his cell phone Thursday morning, he told The Associated Press, "I'm tied up right now; I can't talk," before hanging up.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones arrived at Valley Ranch on Thursday morning. While getting out of his car at a back entrance to the complex, he told KTVT-TV of Dallas that he hadn't offered the job to anyone.

But the Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported on their Web sites, as did ESPN.com and NFL.com, that Phillips had been selected as the next coach. All cited unidentified sources.

Jones interviewed 10 candidates to become the Cowboys' seventh coach, the sixth he will hire since buying the team in 1989.

In five full seasons as the coach of Buffalo and Denver, Phillips' teams made the playoffs three times. And his specialty - defense - is the Cowboys' biggest weakness.

Phillips spent the last three years as defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers. He's been in the league 30 of the last 31 years, including season-ending stints as interim head coach at New Orleans and Atlanta

Wonder how much truth to this.  I thought Norv was the front runner.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 08, 2007, 12:47:51 PM

That's all I'm hearing on Mike and Mike and Cold Pizza.  Appears to be true.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 08, 2007, 01:05:12 PM

Wade is a joke, IMO.

I loved the year when Doug Flutie led the Bills to the playoffs, was having a decent year, and then out of the blue, he yanks Flutie and puts in Rob Johnson in the first playoff game, much to the amazement of practically everyone.  Johnson goes out and tanks it, and Flutie walks off the field, wearing his bills coat, smiling into the camera and shaking his head...

Phillips is a moron.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 08, 2007, 01:15:30 PM

Wade is a joke, IMO.

I loved the year when Doug Flutie led the Bills to the playoffs, was having a decent year, and then out of the blue, he yanks Flutie and puts in Rob Johnson in the first playoff game, much to the amazement of practically everyone. Johnson goes out and tanks it, and Flutie walks off the field, wearing his bills coat, smiling into the camera and shaking his head...

Phillips is a moron.

I thought the exact same thing.  I've always thought Wade was a tool.  A good friend of mine is a Bills fan and I told him about this situation last week.  He wants the idiot back there and was claiming he was some great coach.    I just remind him about losing 4 superbowls and he shuts up.   Kind of sad really.  If the Cowboys weren't so good in the 90's the Bills would be looked at way different.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 08, 2007, 01:16:50 PM

Marv Leavy > Wade Phillips though.

Phillips is a tool for sure.  He caves in to pressure to quickly.

#5 : February 08, 2007, 01:17:51 PM

Makes sense; they have 3-4 personnel, and he runs that defense. Rivera would've been in the same situation as Tomlin.

#6 : February 08, 2007, 01:43:44 PM

Wade is a joke, IMO.

I loved the year when Doug Flutie led the Bills to the playoffs, was having a decent year, and then out of the blue, he yanks Flutie and puts in Rob Johnson in the first playoff game, much to the amazement of practically everyone.  Johnson goes out and tanks it, and Flutie walks off the field, wearing his bills coat, smiling into the camera and shaking his head...

Phillips is a moron.

I remember that also. I guess Jerry is gonna try to coach the team thru this "mouthpiece". You think he would've learned from that failed attempt with Campo.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 08, 2007, 03:36:40 PM

From PFT:
'BOYS LOW-BALLED WADE

A league source tells us that the Dallas Cowboys have indeed made an offer of the team's head-coaching job to Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.  But the source says that the 'Boys put on the table a substandard financial package.

And that's the reason for the delay in the formal announcement.  The Cowboys have indeed chosen Phillips, but there is no deal.

Yet.

The source expects a deal to be done.  "They know he wants [the job] bad so they made him a very low offer," said the source.

tonyflash

Starter

#8 : February 08, 2007, 03:37:43 PM

IMO he is just there to keep the seat warm for a year or two until the right coach becomes available.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 08, 2007, 03:47:14 PM

Jerry is fixated on two things:

1. Running the 3-4. For some reason he thinks this matters, like a front of Ellis, Spears, Ferguson and Ware wouldn't work as a 4-3.

2. Finding a chump that will take it when Jerry hires the assistant coaches. I respect Norv a lot for saying Garrett isn't ready and standing by those guns.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Phillips to be offered Dallas job? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools