Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Coaches & Why « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

rowdie

Hall of Famer

: June 29, 2009, 10:04:29 AM

1) Erskine Russell. Started program. Won National Titles in  85,86, and first ever 15-0 season in 89. Retired and his boys won again in 1990. RIP.
2) Paul Johnson. World's Greatest offense. Back to back titles. in 99,2000. Now with GT.
3) Monte Kiffin, Greatest Defense. Sad he bailed with four games left in the season. Might have to let that sink in more and replace him.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 28, 2009, 10:13:35 AM

Mine are in this order...

1) Don Shula...For what he did for Florida with the Dolphins when we didn't have a team
2) Tony Dungy...For what he did for this franchise and the Foundation he left
3) Jon Gruden...For building upon a Foundation and bringing home the Superbowl and reworking through all the crap that Rich McKay left us...
OBD

BucFanOcala

Starter

#2 : June 28, 2009, 10:20:18 AM

1 Vermeil,he's the only coach I don't hate for crying.
2 Gruden,greatest buccaneer coach ever.
3 Dungy for building a great buccaneer team.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 28, 2009, 10:38:45 AM

1. Landry
2. Walsh
3. Gibbs

Champions, innovators, consistent winners

Want us to get a coach in that league someday, hope Raheem is that guy.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 28, 2009, 10:54:10 AM

1. Landry
2. Walsh
3. Gibbs

Champions, innovators, consistent winners

Want us to get a coach in that league someday, hope Raheem is that guy.

It was a lot easier to build consistent winners when you didn't have free agency. Gibbs found that out his second go around.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 28, 2009, 10:54:34 AM

Belichick-i think its pretty obvious
Walsh-great eye for talent, motivator
?-couldn't decide

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 28, 2009, 11:00:53 AM

Jerry Glanville
Jim Mora (sr.)
John McKay

Based strictly on the entertainment value of their press conferences.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 28, 2009, 11:25:35 AM

It was a lot easier to build consistent winners when you didn't have free agency. Gibbs found that out his second go around.

No, Gibbs found out what having a bad owner meant. Synder is a screw up compared to Jack Kent Cook.  

I also disagree about consistency, the Eagles, Colts and Pats have managed it and I'm not sure you had 3 consistent types like that during the pre-FA period. The teams are weaker overall now but I'm not sure consistency is harder.

Most coaches would love to have an owner with a bottomless checkbook like Snyder. Has he ever said no when a coach asks him to sign a player?

As far as consistency, the Eagles and Colts have just 1 super bowl victory between them in the FA era. I hardly call that consistent champions. Yes, the Pats are the exception to the norm and their organization and coaches should be commended for that.

GoBucs40Bulls8

Starter

#8 : June 28, 2009, 11:13:31 AM

1. Gruden- for the superbowl
2. Dungy- for what he did here and he's just a good community guy
3. Mike Tomlin

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 28, 2009, 11:14:20 AM

No, Gibbs found out what having a bad owner meant. Synder is a screw up compared to Jack Kent Cook.  

I also disagree about consistency, the Eagles, Colts and Pats have managed it and I'm not sure you had 3 consistent types like that during the pre-FA period. The teams are weaker overall now but I'm not sure consistency is harder.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 28, 2009, 11:52:38 AM

Gruden - Got us that Super Bowl win we kept missing out on and he's entertaining as hell.

Parcells - For some reson I tend to like the teams he puts together, theres something to be said for not sticking around to padding records and instead taking on the challenge of rebuilding teams instead.

Walsh - some of my favorite players and football memories come from Walsh coached teams.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 28, 2009, 12:28:03 PM

Shula-went to the Superbowl with 2 different franchises, 4 different QBs and exuded class the whole way.
Holgrim- took 2 different franchises to the big dance.
Dungy- turned an NFL joke into a perennial winner.

Honorable mention: **CENSORED** Vermeil, Dan Reeves, Gruden

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 28, 2009, 01:01:09 PM

Walsh
Belichick
Landry
All three built an organization to be envied-to this day.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 28, 2009, 01:25:14 PM

I can't say I have a third, but my top-2 are easy.

1. Bill Walsh - he saw the game differently than everyone else.  I love the quip about him at a scouting camp one year: he was looking at the top quarterbacking prospects, and asked a few of them to showcase their throwing ability.  They all took a hard dropback, thrust off their back leg, and drilled the ball into the target.  Walsh said, "Yeah, that's good, but it wasn't real pretty.  Do it again.  But softer this time."

2. **CENSORED** Vermeil - arguably the most honest coach in NFL history.  The guy was an offensive genius, and claimed to be able to build playoff teams with only a good left tackle, running back, and quarterback.

Both were brilliant, brilliant coaches who cared deeply about their players.  They were more interested in teaching their players how to be good people than good football players.  They both held mandatory classes several times a season on accounting and money management.  And very few of their players (fewer for Walsh than Vermeil) were ever in trouble off the field.

And both went to San Jose State.  Weird.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 28, 2009, 01:45:29 PM

Mike Bellotti-What he did for Oregon
Chip Kelly-
Gruden-superbowl

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Coaches & Why « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools