Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Coaches & Why « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

DailyRich68

Starter
#30 : June 28, 2009, 09:56:24 PM

Don Shula
Hank Stram
Bum Phillips

The most memorable coaches from when I was first getting into football as a kid.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#31 : June 28, 2009, 10:04:48 PM

1. Bill Walsh - He changed offensive football forever and advanced the game more than anyone else in NFL history IMO.
2. Mike Holmgren - I've always liked and had a ton of respect for Holmgren.
3. Jon Gruden - He got us our only Super Bowl championship. That alone puts him on this list.

watson

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 29, 2009, 05:27:11 AM

All NFL coaches:
1.  Paul Brown - His record with the Browns was amazing.
2.  George Halas - To be the coach and owner for as long as he did it is impressive
3.  Vince Lombardi - I loved his no non-sense approach

Bucs:
1.  Jon Gruden - He did what no other coach has ever been able to do for the Bucs
2.  Tony Dungy - One of the finest people to ever coach in the NFL
3.  John McKay - He took a rag tag bunch of rejects, some young draft choices and a couple of great players and took them to within 9 points of the Super Bowl 4 years after the team was founded....and with penny pinching Culverhouse as the owner

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#33 : June 29, 2009, 01:55:39 PM

Monte Kiffin, Greatest Defense. Sad he bailed with four games left in the season. Might have to let that sink in more and replace him.

Sucks seeing Gruden get most of the credit he deserves for the Superbowl, the Bucs don't even make the playoffs with Gruden's offenses and anything less than a dominant defense when he was with the Bucs.

#34 : June 29, 2009, 02:19:07 PM

Sucks there are fans this stupid that run coaches out of town. If you look at the personel on offense it is amazing he got us a first down let alone a superbowl win.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 29, 2009, 02:27:50 PM

Sucks there are fans this stupid that run coaches out of town. If you look at the personel on offense it is amazing he got us a first down let alone a superbowl win.
When your best friend in football is in charge of acquiring said personnel, sometimes the baby gets thrown out with the bath water.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 29, 2009, 02:29:04 PM

If you look at the personel on offense it is amazing he got us a first down let alone a superbowl win.

Just on the starting Offense from 2002:

2-time Pro Bowl QB
6-time Pro Bowl FB
3-time Pro Bowl WR
2-time Pro Bowl WR
1-time Pro Bowl TE
3-time Pro Bowl Center

Sucks there are fans this stupid

Agreed.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#37 : June 29, 2009, 02:30:15 PM

It is amazing and of course that offense was 26th in 3rd down conversions, but with a defense that was one of the best on 3rd down it makes it more likely to make the playoffs and Superbowl.

#38 : June 29, 2009, 02:32:50 PM

Best friend? Lol. He was in Oakland when Bucs won superbowl. The oline was horrific, had a fullback that runs 4.9 in 40. Had a tailback that is a journeyman. Had a WRs that runs 4.7 and 4.8 in 40. A TE that was slower than my grandmother. But hey, Gruden deserves no credit for beating one of the best defensive teams in the NFl at thier place, (Philly) or putting up great time consuming drives in the Superbowl. Anyone could of sone that... lol

HughC

Pro Bowler

#39 : June 29, 2009, 02:33:36 PM

I don't know that I would include Buddy Ryan.  
If I was to ask the best overall defensive Coach it would have to be Buddy Ryan...His defenses would kill a team...OBD
I'm going to disagree.  While the Bears were indeed dominant with his 46 defense, they were also blessed with some of the league's most talented defenders.  But the big thing is, what happened after that one SB win?  It took a year or two before teams figured out that quick short passes, especially slants, could counteract that Cover 1, pressure defense.  Then, rather than come up with a plan to counter what opposing offenses were doing, Ryan stubbornly stuck with that same exact defense.  To me that lack of adaptability and refusal to come up with a plan to respond to what opponents were doing would exclude him from my list of best defensive coaches.

#40 : June 29, 2009, 02:36:32 PM

Pterandon, 85 percent of the salary cap was spent on defense. They better be good on third downs and the offense better be ready to punt sometime. Imagine if it were reversed and the Offense had all the money and defense was a bunch of misfits. How good would tampa 2 of been then? LOl

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 29, 2009, 02:40:39 PM

Best friend? Lol. He was in Oakland when Bucs won superbowl. The oline was horrific, had a fullback that runs 4.9 in 40. Had a tailback that is a journeyman. Had a WRs that runs 4.7 and 4.8 in 40. A TE that was slower than my grandmother. But hey, Gruden deserves no credit for beating one of the best defensive teams in the NFl at thier place, (Philly) or putting up great time consuming drives in the Superbowl. Anyone could of sone that... lol
No one has said Gruden doesn't deserve credit for 2002. He was the perfect coach for that season. The problem is of the 22 starting positions on the 2002 team, at least 15 of them had been downgraded by 2008.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#42 : June 29, 2009, 02:44:59 PM

Pterandon, 85 percent of the salary cap was spent on defense. They better be good on third downs and the offense better be ready to punt sometime. Imagine if it were reversed and the Offense had all the money and defense was a bunch of misfits. How good would tampa 2 of been then? LOl

Exactly so defense was pretty much the reason why the Bucs won 12 games and a Superbowl, that's what I'm saying.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#43 : June 29, 2009, 02:48:47 PM

I don't know that I would include Buddy Ryan.  
If I was to ask the best overall defensive Coach it would have to be Buddy Ryan...His defenses would kill a team...OBD
I'm going to disagree.  While the Bears were indeed dominant with his 46 defense, they were also blessed with some of the league's most talented defenders.  But the big thing is, what happened after that one SB win?  It took a year or two before teams figured out that quick short passes, especially slants, could counteract that Cover 1, pressure defense.  Then, rather than come up with a plan to counter what opposing offenses were doing, Ryan stubbornly stuck with that same exact defense.  To me that lack of adaptability and refusal to come up with a plan to respond to what opponents were doing would exclude him from my list of best defensive coaches.

If that is true then why were his defenses ranked so high in Philly and Arizona after he left the Bears?

#44 : June 29, 2009, 02:52:34 PM

15 downgraded? Disagree. Offense? Every offensive lineman is upgraded. Stevens and Becht were an upgrade. AB was an upgrade. That is 7 upgrades on offense. Graham and Caddy makes it 8.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Coaches & Why « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools