Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bills CB Nate Clements To Test The Free Agent Market « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
: February 08, 2007, 08:20:04 PM

Bills | Clements to test the free agent market
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:42:14 -0800

John Wawrow, of the Associated Press, reports Buffalo Bills CB Nate Clements is expected to test the free agent market next month. His agent, Todd France, said that Clements is open to re-signing with the Bills if they make a competitive offer.

If Brian Kelly holds out, I think we should make a run at Nate Clements.

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 08, 2007, 08:38:31 PM

Sign him, now!

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 08, 2007, 09:59:58 PM

i like him too guys but at what price?  if 2nd tier corners like Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot, Jason Webster and Will Allen can command big money in FA, how much do you think it would cost to sign a pro bowl caliber CB like Clements who is still in his late twenties?  with the exception of Briggs, Clements will the most expensive and sought after guy in FA this offseason. we're easily talking 10+ mill in guaranteed money.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 09, 2007, 12:00:26 AM

I'd  say he is a VERY PRIMARY target for the Bucs...

I'd poke the nose into that affair...

#4 : February 09, 2007, 12:33:17 AM

Ken Lucas isnt a 2nd teir FA, but I get your point about over paid CBs.

I wont mind at all if the Bucs make a huge signing iinvolving a huge amount of money.

Is Clements the first guy to declare he wont be resigning with his team?

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#5 : February 09, 2007, 01:32:54 AM

I would rather have samuel, but would be pretty happy with clements also

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 09, 2007, 10:29:52 AM

Our system does not call for high priced CB. Get the Best D-line and an average CB will look like a probowler

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 09, 2007, 08:45:03 AM

Clements will command too much money and the Snyderskins will provide that. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 09, 2007, 08:50:34 AM

Nate and Asante are going to break the bank. I like both players but don't think we need to break the bank for that spot on the roster.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

watson

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 09, 2007, 09:00:18 AM

Nate and Asante are going to break the bank. I like both players but don't think we need to break the bank for that spot on the roster.
Agree with this thinking.......if the D Line isn't getting it done, neither of these players is going to make a big impact.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 09, 2007, 09:00:23 AM

I agree, we don't need probowl players at CB.  Our system will help good/smart CB's turn into probowlers.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

marlevr

Second String
#11 : February 09, 2007, 09:58:12 AM

From nfldraftcountdown.com:

Nate Clements is bound to be one of the most highly sought after free agents available this offseason but unlike the Colts with Dwight Freeney and the Bears with Lance Briggs the Bills don't have the franchise tag as an option available to them. As a condition for him signing the one-year contract that he did in 2006 the Bills agreed not to franchise Clements this offseason, a move that may come back and haunt them as they could now lose him with no compensation.

According to a recent AP story Clements goal is to become the top-paid player at his position, a distinction that is currently held by Champ Bailey and his seven-year, $63 million contract. Will he get that kind of coin? Probably not, but he might come awfully close and if that's the case it's doubtful that the notoriously frugal Buffalo franchise would be able to retain him despite their ample cap space. You can bet there will be teams lining up for a shot at Clements the minute free agency opens and it is not a stretch to think he could get this years most lucrative contract.

A top 10 cornerback on the open market? Let the bidding begin!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#12 : February 09, 2007, 11:00:52 AM

i like him too guys but at what price?  if 2nd tier guys like Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot, Jason Webster and Will Allen can command big money in FA, how much do you think it would cost to sign a pro bowl caliber CB like Clements who is still in his late twenties?  with the exception of Briggs, Clements will the most expensive and sought after guy in FA this offseason. we're easily talking 10+ mill in guaranteed money.

Ken Lucas was definitely not second tier. And if you recall, he played like a top-10 corner in his first season. Allen didn't get that much.

But Clemens will require some money.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 09, 2007, 11:19:07 AM

We don't pay a lot for this position in the draft or in free agency typically, so I don't see why we would start now. I think the Bucs could more cost effectively improve the secondary by resigning P-Buc and finding a safety. They could probably do both for less than it would cost to ink Clements.

STERN11354

Starter

#14 : February 09, 2007, 11:35:37 AM

Bills | Clements to test the free agent market
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:42:14 -0800

John Wawrow, of the Associated Press, reports Buffalo Bills CB Nate Clements is expected to test the free agent market next month. His agent, Todd France, said that Clements is open to re-signing with the Bills if they make a competitive offer.

If Brian Kelly holds out, I think we should make a run at Nate Clements.

When did a former kicker of ours become an agent to represent NFL players?  I guess former players make the best agents.  JK.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bills CB Nate Clements To Test The Free Agent Market « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools