Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN chimes in on Dungy and Gruden.. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
: February 08, 2007, 08:59:16 PM

Nt sure this has been posted or not...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2757050&univLogin02=stateChanged

''Sources tell us that watching former Buccaneers head coach Tony Dungy reach the Super Bowl may have been a painful undertaking for current Bucs head coach Jon Gruden. Those sources in Tampa tell us Dungy remains wildly popular in west Florida whereas Gruden has never been fully embraced by Buccaneers fans and is frustrated that he has been unable to win over the masses despite having won a Super Bowl, something Dungy never did with the Buccaneers. ''

Sounds like BS to me!!

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 08, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Shows more about what espn does not know.  Last I checked we still support Chuckster.

#2 : February 08, 2007, 09:01:57 PM

yeah me to

PA BuccsFan

Rookie

#3 : February 08, 2007, 09:06:31 PM

Yeah, I've always supported Gruden. It was Grudens team that won the SB, not Dungys. I know alot of bucs fans that still support him too.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 08, 2007, 09:16:13 PM

Frankly the best thing to happen to Dungy's popularity in the bay area was him being fired. His legend and accomplishments grow by the day now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 08, 2007, 09:20:29 PM

Oh goodness first PFT and now ESPN. Nothing but rumors.

#6 : February 08, 2007, 09:21:16 PM

I wouldn't trade back for Dungy even after this SB win, because I like coaches who are emotional and look like they are totally INTO the game and not participating in a quiet chess match hoping to win 10-9.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 08, 2007, 09:38:55 PM

My guess is that the reporter for that article went to the Bucs "official" board and saw that there is nothing but Gruden bashing there.   However, that guy doesn't realize that board bans anyone who is pro Gruden (such as myself) and/or anyone who disagrees with the opinions of the admin on that board.     If that guy had come to this board (which has what I consider the true view of actual Buc fans), he would see that Gruden does have strong support.

#8 : February 08, 2007, 09:44:47 PM

I still support Gruden.  I was happy when I first heard about him being hired.  The last few years have been rough though, no doubt and I like others want him to succeed since he is coaching our team.  But I would say this year is a do or die situation for him.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#9 : February 08, 2007, 09:46:55 PM

thats not true--There are tons of posters over there that support Gruden.  Trust me I argue with them as much as those over here. I still think those wanting Gruden gone are still in the minority.  I think the amount of people who like Dungy is much larger than those that like Gruden.  Gruden helped push over the top but he didnt build the team. Going from 83-96 of having losing seasons, having a coach come in and change that and give the team respectibility was huge.  I wonder if people who dont like him are the ones that have no clue what it was like to be a Bucs fan before 1997.

#10 : February 08, 2007, 09:48:10 PM

yes this year are team will be back we learned last year we are young and learning on offense and defense getting young talent and older players starting to look into retirement good season ahead

#11 : February 08, 2007, 09:51:02 PM

I cant wait till Fan fest... I want to meet Gruden and let him know that there are still many many of us that have his back and we appreciate his work and trying to get this ship back on track

After the crap he has been through this year from the Goobs the man needs to hear that we still support him.....

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 08, 2007, 09:58:06 PM

If Tony Dungy and Rich McKay were in Tampa Bay when the Bucs had to cut SS John Lynch, WR Joe Jurevicius and part ways with DT Warren Sapp, something tells me they wouldn't be as "embraced" by some of the "grass is always greener" fans as they are. Those cap cuts were coming regardless of who was G.M. and head coach. Letting go of fan favorites is tough for any organizaton and the fans, but it happened under Gruden and Allen's watch, so they're the villians to some fans out there.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 08, 2007, 09:58:45 PM

thats not true--There are tons of posters over there that support Gruden.

But the admin's careless throwing about of suspensions and bans of Buc fans who are obviously not there to be trolls has caused most knowledgeable fans to disregard that site.   I think that site is FAR from a true representation of Buc fans.   This one is closer to the true opinions of season ticket holders.

As far as wondering if people who don't like Dungy have no clue what it was to be a Buc fan pre 1997, I don't quite get the meaning of that.    I don't know anyone who doesn't like Dungy.   What they don't like is the constant whining about Gruden vs. Dungy.    Gruden is our head coach, and he's a damn good one.   Dungy did a good job and was given alot of talent and draft picks Wyche left him to work with.   He came in at the right time since Culverhouse had just left and we changed uniforms which seemed to give us a new confidence.    I personally think that the death of Culverhouse had alot to do with our recent success, much more so than Dungy.   I do think Dungy did a great job turning the team around though.   However, he could not get the team past the Eagles in the playoffs and obviously was not ever going to.    

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#14 : February 08, 2007, 10:16:53 PM

If Tony Dungy and Rich McKay were in Tampa Bay when the Bucs had to cut SS John Lynch, WR Joe Jurevicius and part ways with DT Warren Sapp, something tells me they wouldn't be as "embraced" by some of the "grass is always greener" fans as they are. Those cap cuts were coming regardless of who was G.M. and head coach. Letting go of fan favorites is tough for any organizaton and the fans, but it happened under Gruden and Allen's watch, so they're the villians to some fans out there.
I dont think that at all.  as much as I respect Lynch and Sapp for what they did for the team, I dont feel hate or dislike at Allen or Gruden for them leaving.  I wish they had been offered contracts and I do feel that the team disrespected to them.   My dislike toward Gruden is totally based on his coaching of the team. Its not even a dislike but more of a disappointment.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN chimes in on Dungy and Gruden.. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools