Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you believe in "the Devil"? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 29

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« : July 06, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »

This came up at work today and I'd enjoy hearing you guys' thoughts on the matter.  Do you believe in "the Devil"?  (or Great Adversary, or overriding evil force, or what have you).  Do you think this is an active entity trying to undermine God/the forces of good/etc.?  Just a tempter/trickster (Coyote/Loki-ish)?  Bad luck?  Evil incarnate?  Does this being work/influence on an individual scale, cosmic scale, or both?

Just interested in how others view the world/cosmos.  Non-Christian wiewpoints are welcome.

Please no bashing!

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 06, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »

I do believe in "the devil".  he is in fact the great tempter, the anti-God, the great deceiver, and who seeks to kill and destroy.  However, he gets too much credit by humans for "forcing" them to perform evil acts.  All he does is simply present an opportunity, tempts us into thinking it is good and okay.  We still have to make the choice!  He is the origin of sin and we his first act.

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 06, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »

nope don't believe much of anything to do with religion.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 06, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »

I believe in evil, but also that evil is borne inside individuals, not from some influentual entity..

Same with good.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 06, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

I believe in evil, but also that evil is borne inside individuals, not from some influentual entity..

Same with good.

What he said ...

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #5 : July 06, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »

Of course! He's the one who made me do it, after all...

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #6 : July 06, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »

No, there are no cosmic puppet masters.

bait619

Starter

« #7 : July 06, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »

I do believe in "the devil". he is in fact the great tempter, the anti-God, the great deceiver, and who seeks to kill and destroy. However, he gets too much credit by humans for "forcing" them to perform evil acts. All he does is simply present an opportunity, tempts us into thinking it is good and okay. We still have to make the choice! He is the origin of sin and we his first act.

not bashing your beliefs...just wondering what your explanation is because I don't understand the creating temptation thing...does the devil move things around, or force non-human things to do stuff outside of our "free will"...how is opportunity created other than by other humans making decisions based on free will...i don't think that when people do bad things that they think it is ok (maybe some do but most not), that it is just a "trick" or "temptation"...i think that people make bad decisions on their own, they don't need any help...if bad temptation is the devil, is good stuff always "god"? or is it only god when we deem it to be...when i hold the door open for an elderly lady at the bank...who gets credit?  when i walk past a bum and tell him i have no change when i really do...is that the devil presenting and opportunity and me making an evil choice to lie?

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #8 : July 06, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »

I do believe in "the devil". he is in fact the great tempter, the anti-God, the great deceiver, and who seeks to kill and destroy. However, he gets too much credit by humans for "forcing" them to perform evil acts. All he does is simply present an opportunity, tempts us into thinking it is good and okay. We still have to make the choice! He is the origin of sin and we his first act.

not bashing your beliefs...just wondering what your explanation is because I don't understand the creating temptation thing...does the devil move things around, or force non-human things to do stuff outside of our "free will"...how is opportunity created other than by other humans making decisions based on free will...i don't think that when people do bad things that they think it is ok (maybe some do but most not), that it is just a "trick" or "temptation"...i think that people make bad decisions on their own, they don't need any help...if bad temptation is the devil, is good stuff always "god"? or is it only god when we deem it to be...when i hold the door open for an elderly lady at the bank...who gets credit?  when i walk past a bum and tell him i have no change when i really do...is that the devil presenting and opportunity and me making an evil choice to lie?

Good post. Dont expect a logical response.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 06, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »

It isn't all that complicated bait619 - free will allows folks to determine who and what they are themselves - so you are right - folks do well on their on volition - and evil in the same fashion.  God provides the opportunity - and folks make their own decisions.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

white dragon

Practice Squad

« #10 : July 06, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »

I dont believe in a God/Devil.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 06, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

It isn't all that complicated bait619 - free will allows folks to determine who and what they are themselves - so you are right - folks do well on their on volition - and evil in the same fashion. God provides the opportunity - and folks make their own decisions.

So do you believe:

1.  God presents opportunities for humans to do both good and evil and lets them choose their path with free will

2.  God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will.  Another (opposite) entity does the same for evil.

3.  God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will. "Evil" acts are completely human and aren't influenced by an outside force.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 06, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »

That is entirely your choice...
It isn't all that complicated bait619 - free will allows folks to determine who and what they are themselves - so you are right - folks do well on their on volition - and evil in the same fashion. God provides the opportunity - and folks make their own decisions.

So do you believe:

1.  God presents opportunities for humans to do both good and evil and lets them choose their path with free will

2.  God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will.  Another (opposite) entity does the same for evil.

3.  God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will. "Evil" acts are completely human and aren't influenced by an outside force.

Why the interest?  I haven't pigeonholed anyone - why would you try to do that to me?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 06, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »

That is entirely your choice...

So do you believe:

1. ?God presents opportunities for humans to do both good and evil and lets them choose their path with free will

2. ?God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will. ?Another (opposite) entity does the same for evil.

3. ?God presents opportunities for humans to do good and lets them choose their path with free will. "Evil" acts are completely human and aren't influenced by an outside force.

Why the interest? I haven't pigeonholed anyone - why would you try to do that to me?

Not trying to pigeonhole anyone at all, just wondering about how others see the world.  I'm not here to judge or bash, just interested.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 06, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

I almost wish there was a devil so we could blame our failings on his machinations but unfortunately people are nasty SoB's w/o any outside help, influence or guidance.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 29
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you believe in "the Devil"? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools