Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only thing that concerns me about Grad.. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #15 : October 16, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

And did anyone else notice that 44 passes to 21 rushes stat?

No we just sit here with our eyes closed and wait for you to tell us.   ;)

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #16 : October 16, 2006, 03:46:13 PM »

No we just sit here with our eyes closed and wait for you to tell us. ;)

We? Do you speak for everyone?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #17 : October 16, 2006, 03:47:07 PM »

And did anyone else notice that 44 passes to 21 rushes stat? Imbalance rears it's ugly head again, and once again we fail to hit 20 points..

And we were lucky to get the win.  Puzzling play calling, especially against such a horrible run D.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #18 : October 16, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »

Gruden already talked about the lack of running.  Caddy was averaging under 2 yards per carry when you take the two big runs out    They had several penalties that put us behind on down and distance and he felt the running game wouldn’t get us first downs later in the game.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #19 : October 16, 2006, 03:51:07 PM »

And we were lucky to get the win.  Puzzling play calling, especially against such a horrible run D.

Agreed.

Hey, a win is a win, I'll take it. But sometimes Gruden gets so enamored with passing the ball, he seems to forget what makes his offense click at it's highest level. It's frustrating to watch sometimes..

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #20 : October 16, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »

of course he does, he is the all-mighty father of PR ;D ;D ;D

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #21 : October 16, 2006, 03:54:56 PM »

well seeing as it was a sarcastic reply to something that was bashed to death during the game, yes I can say I was speaking for everyone............if anyone didn't notice they should possibly think of watching another sport.   ;)

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #22 : October 16, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »

Gruden already talked about the lack of running. Caddy was averaging under 2 yards per carry when you take the two big runs out They had several penalties that put us behind on down and distance and he felt the running game wouldn’t get us first downs later in the game.

The thing is, you can't take out the 2 big runs, and it's the effect of run blocking that wears down a defense and allows the possibility of more big runs. Buc fans are too familiar with that..

I'm not Jon Gruden, and I don't pretend to know more than he does, but that's common sense.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #23 : October 16, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »

The thing is, you can't take out the 2 big runs, and it's the effect of run blocking that wears down a defense and allows the possibility of more big runs. Buc fans are too familiar with that..

I'm not Jon Gruden, and I don't pretend to know more than he does, but that's common sense.

I wasn't agreeing with him, just passing along what he said.  We were screaming for Caddy to get the ball in the 2nd half, but once or twice he got hit for a loss or a one yard gain, and it was obvious the running game was struggling a little.

simms22

Second String

« #24 : October 16, 2006, 04:03:02 PM »

thats why you stick with the run game, because most likely a good rb will eventually break 1 or a few.Chances are most of the rbs carries will be for 2-5 yard all game but that takes a toll on a defense. Clinton Portis had something 140 yards against us last year and 80 of them were on one run. You cant abandon the run because then teams just play prevent, and it makes you one dimensional.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #25 : October 16, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »

...We were screaming for Caddy to get the ball in the 2nd half, but once or twice he got hit for a loss or a one yard gain, and it was obvious the running game was struggling a little.

Granted, but when you only give your franchise back <20 carries in a game, even against an average run D, the run game is going to suffer.

Gruden is just too impatient, IMO. Unless maybe his motivation is to push Grad's limits like he did with Caddy last year. That's really the fastest way to really know what you have in a player..

gone

Hall of Famer
« #26 : October 16, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »

Granted, but when you only give your franchise back <20 carries in a game, even against an average run D, the run game is going to suffer.

Gruden is just too impatient, IMO. Unless maybe his motivation is to push Grad's limits like he did with Caddy last year. That's really the fastest way to really know what you have in a player..
You have to look at the D.  They were, as usual, focused on our run.  Until we show we can beat em with the pass, the run game has the cards stacked against it.  As much as people say "it's not about what they do" in reality it is.  You take your highest percentage plays.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #27 : October 16, 2006, 04:40:45 PM »

Is how bad his long throws looked.

I can understand that this may be the result of him still thinking rather than reacting, but I was having Griese flashbacks. Especially on the Kaesviharn interception, when it looked like Galloway was on punt coverage..

He has to improve there, we can't lose the "stretch the field" factor.

IMO, and despite the inaccuracy, Bruce’s deep ball is plenty good enough to get the job done. It looked to me that most of his deep passes were overthrown not under thrown. I was wondering during the game whether that wasn’t more or less intentional because of that second quarter interception. He may have been over-compensating because he was determined that they not be under thrown and intercepted. And, he was what, 9 of 20 in the first half and 16 of 24 in the second half…a noticeable improvement! It’s a learning process. The timing will come and he’ll make it work, I’m sure. Give him time.

In a free society the state does not administer the affairs of men. It administers justice among men who conduct their own affairs.
Walter Lippmann (1889–1974)

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #28 : October 16, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »

You have to look at the D. They were, as usual, focused on our run. Until we show we can beat em with the pass, the run game has the cards stacked against it. As much as people say "it's not about what they do" in reality it is. You take your highest percentage plays.

I understand that. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Believe me, I'm not saying lets pound the rock endlessly into a brick wall..

I just feel that, if we are going to pass to counteract the defense, we should not abandon the run altogether. There's a balance that needs to be achieved for this offense to run at it's optimum. Even with defenses keying on the run, if you look at the 5 games, you see a pattern..

gm 1 - 35 passes, 12 runs, 0 points
gm 2 - 53 passes, 15 runs, 3 points

gm 3 - 25 passes, 23 runs, 24 points
gm 4 - 31 passes, 27 runs, 21 points

gm 5 - 44 passes, 21 runs, 14 points

I'm obviously a running game advocate, but I believe in balance more than anything. Especially with such an inexperienced signal caller. It at least keeps the defense off-balance, which can only help..

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #29 : October 16, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

IMO, and despite the inaccuracy, Bruce’s deep ball is plenty good enough to get the job done. It looked to me that most of his deep passes were overthrown not under thrown. I was wondering during the game whether that wasn’t more or less intentional because of that second quarter interception. He may have been over-compensating because he was determined that they not be under thrown and intercepted. And, he was what, 9 of 20 in the first half and 16 of 24 in the second half…a noticeable improvement! It’s a learning process. The timing will come and he’ll make it work, I’m sure. Give him time.

I kinda figure that with experience he'll gain the confidence to put the ball where it needs to be without thinking about it, and that extra millisecond may compensate the difference if he doesn't gain velocity. My concern was just about what kind of velocity he'll have..

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Only thing that concerns me about Grad.. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools