Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Overlooked aspect on the defensive side « previous next »
Page: 1 2

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 14, 2009, 03:34:03 PM

Eventually - I think you are right ADW. The philosophy puts the impetus on locating rangy, speedy, cover-corners not afraid of contact. The current talent pool of the college level seems to have an abundance of those.

It also leverages what seems to be commonplace along the d-line in college, big, but not especially sack-adept DT's. Bates system places the premium for the d-line on the more common quick & powerful DE's.

Trying to find the next Warren Sapp short-circuited the effectiveness of the Tampa-2. It would probably have worked if there weren't so many folks soaking up the seemingly limited talent necessarry to make the position work in the Tampa-2. Without that ONE cog, that defense couldn't work consistently...now with our exisiting talent - Bates system can function normally.

But before we can truly believe this defense will carry the team it should be understood that we are still at least one CB and one DE from the system functioning optimally - so I agree with you that defense will carry the team - I just add the caveat of eventually. It is a well thought out system that capitalizes on available talent.

Initially however, with the focus on offensive personnel - I'd have to conclude that the offense is being built to carry this team - in the very near future.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 14, 2009, 03:56:03 PM

Eventually - I think you are right ADW. The philosophy puts the impetus on locating rangy, speedy, cover-corners not afraid of contact. The current talent pool of the college level seems to have an abundance of those.

It also leverages what seems to be commonplace along the d-line in college, big, but not especially sack-adept DT's. Bates system places the premium for the d-line on the more common quick & powerful DE's.

Trying to find the next Warren Sapp short-circuited the effectiveness of the Tampa-2. It would probably have worked if there weren't so many folks soaking up the seemingly limited talent necessarry to make the position work in the Tampa-2. Without that ONE cog, that defense couldn't work consistently...now with our exisiting talent - Bates system can function normally.

But before we can truly believe this defense will carry the team it should be understood that we are still at least one CB and one DE from the system functioning optimally - so I agree with you that defense will carry the team - I just add the caveat of eventually. It is a well thought out system that capitalizes on available talent.

Initially however, with the focus on offensive personnel - I'd have to conclude that the offense is being built to carry this team - in the very near future.

we have a winner!!!!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

FSUBucs

Starter
#17 : July 14, 2009, 05:49:03 PM

we have a winner!!!!

Very true. Thats why we need to control the clock. EG and DW will get us some ugly wins.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 15, 2009, 07:00:08 PM

Nice post Yuc, have been looking for a reason to be happy about this defense.  However, I think I'm with PAC on this one.  The Jim's and Joe's is the problem.  Not the scheme.  Love Hovan but he's not a penatrator anymore. We know Gaines has speed, but needs to eat some hamhocks, black-eyed peas, and cornbread to throw some more weight around in addition to the speed. Wilks looked good last year and whoever lands he job next to hovan needs to bring it....

I'm glad your posting more often Chev.

A lot more when the season starts bro...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 16, 2009, 10:07:31 AM

we have a winner!!!!

Very true. Thats why we need to control the clock. EG and DW will get us some ugly wins.

I agree.   a younger, faster more aggressive D with two big time defensive minds at the helm + two backs + ZBS = a return to Buc Ball. 

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#20 : July 16, 2009, 11:43:17 AM

I agree. a younger, faster more aggressive D with two big time defensive minds at the helm + two backs + ZBS = a return to Buc Ball.

This defense is not that good and I don't see how they can stop the run or pass of any team with more than one decent WR. I don't see Buc ball, pretty much the opposite unless they dominate with the run and score points early in games.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 17, 2009, 02:59:38 AM

Pteranodon - I think you're right in the near term - but the opportunity to go out and fill the position of need with the talent Bates selects will bring the defense back.

It's why I used eventually.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 18, 2009, 02:34:25 AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline) QuoteOverlooked aspect on the defensive sidePosted: 07/10/2009 09:37:16 pm An overlooked aspect of the teams ability on defense this coming season too generator pressure is there vast knowledge of the Tampa 2, usually when teams disguise there pre-blitz looks they use the basic cover two alignment in the secondary. Then at the snap will go to a three deep coverage with the corners bailing on receivers to play 1/3 of the secondary along with a safety and the other safety coming down to play the flat while usually a defensive lineman dropping into coverage with two linebackers playing three underneath zones. Allowing for the team too send a linebacker add the tackle end stunt game to the front and it should confuse pass protectors.

Or Blitzing and playing cover one in the secondary with a safety playing center field, the corners playing man to man with an inside outside technique on receivers. dropping a defensive tackle the other safety and a linebacker into underneath coverage and sending the MIKE / WILL  / WEAKSIDE DE / STRONG SIDE TACKLE / STRONGSIDE DE & using a twist on the strong side.

[/i]

VERY hard to read.  The english is garbledy **CENSORED**.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Overlooked aspect on the defensive side « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools